BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: ARUBA TO BONAIRE
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: ARUBA TO BONAIRE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I have 3 more days to hope that RAA figures itself out.

After booking flights to Aruba in June in anticipation of a successful start-up of RAA, I am now resigned to the fact that I will have to scramble to get from Aruba to Bonaire this Friday. DCA called today to tell me that their 7:00 flight is now cancelled. Their next flight leaves Aruba at 10:00 requiring an overnite in CUR before getting to Bonaire the next day.

Looks like the Avia Air flight at 7:00 is the only way to go. Avia has a weight limit of 20 kg/person with $1/lb fee on overweight. Tough to make the weight limit with dive gear...Oh well, live and learn...Bonaire will be great if I get there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 9:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg,

Paying the weight limit is less expensive than
the overnight? Yes. Have a wonderful time.
Post a report when you can.

Lydia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 9:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greg,

I'll be happy to pay the extra weight for the masks and batteries.

Just let me know. Have a great trip....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 6:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lydia,

I'll keep you posted...I am sure we will have a great time...I prefer the direct flight. The weight limit really cramps my style since I normally haul a case of Miller Lite with me...looks like a week of Polars for me.

Kay...tks but not a problem...I am just pretty annoyed over this RAA fiasco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marion Korschilgen on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As far as I remember it is now the problem that Curaçao still hasn't signed the papers for the landing rights. It is not the first time that competing airlines with DCA/ALM have a hard time to get a foot or better a wheel on the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marion...it is anybody's guess...the info below from RAA was posted on this site back in July. They later said that the reason for the delay was that their pilots' lisences had expired. Hopefully, they have been retrained by now. My guess is that the problem is local politics (as you suggested).

...The much awaited AOC (=Air Operating Certicicate) was granted to Royal Aruban Airlines on Friday, July 19, 2002. We are now in the process of requesting landing permits in Curaçao and Bonaire. This should take a couple of days. Our plans are to initiate scheduled air service to Bonaire on August 1, 2002.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Rory Arends on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 04:32 pm:

Sorry Folks. It is taking a little longer, Royal Aruban Airlines has not yet obtained the landing rights in Bonaire and Curaçao from the Netherlands Antillean Civil Aviation Department. We're anxious, and expect to get the permit in the next few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg

Miller Lite or Polars, IMHO Amstel Bright is what fuels PBD. Maybe taking a case home would be a better idea.

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg

This more like it - how about getting a ferry and taking more Brights :-}

o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brian,

I like your style... this will be the first trip in many years that I have not hauled beer etc... the weight restriction on Avia really has me bummed....oh well, it is only money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

anxiously awaiting to hear how you got to Bonaire..have some ff I could turn in but only to Aruba..still hard to get to Bonaire from there.. think this airline will "get off the ground " ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie,

If you follow the threads on this subject, you will see that RAA has made numerous comittments that they have failed to meet...they have had a variety of reasons (excuses)...I'm not sure if it is politics, poor planning or ???. At first (last spring) I was excited and confident that the new airline would be a success. After months of rhetoric, I am now not sure. I recommend sitting on your FF miles until they get started. Its pretty easy to get to Aruba from the US since many major airlines fly there. However, based on my experience thus far, it is difficult to get to Bonaire from Aruba. If I had it to do over again, I would not go the Aruba route. Aruba airport is not the place to have a long layover. In my case, I am now hoping that the DCA flight at 3:50 is at least 30 minutes late..that would give me a chance to catch it. Knowing my luck, this flight will leave on time :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 11:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Gregg for your advice...hope it works out for you...looks close enough to put your fins on and swim over to Bonaire..yeah thought I had come up with some brillant idea to use the ff's but now me thinks it might be better to pay out the $$$.. sit in San Juan for 6 hours and take AA...hmmm..poor Bonaire..this is why people have a hard time to get here....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 5:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie,

We did the American route in July...the 6 hour layover in PR is a bummer...the return flight from Bonaire to PR is a killer...just couldn't get used to the 4:00 a.m. check in time at Bonaire airport. AJ has to be the best if you can make the connections. DCA from MIA on Saturday has the best deal...but reliability is a question

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Next trip I will check out KLM. Can't be any worst than Air Jamaica. Total of over six hours lost, due to AJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ida -

Are you referencing a U.S.-Bonaire-U.S. KLM flight?

I was not aware of such service.

Thank you.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I assume Ida meant ALM which is now DCA as I mentioned above. They are quoting rates now from MIA to BON Saturday/Saturday at ~$290. However, they will not book a thru fare from your city of origin to MIA to BON

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Fulton on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have flown ALM/DCA the past two years from Miami direct to Bonaire with only a two hour delay on departure from Miami each time. It's a little annoying but we now expect it and the rest of the flight is uneventful. We fly a domestic airline from Tampa to Miami and will continue to use this option as long as it is available.

Debbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ida, KLM is arguably one of the best airlines in the world, but even they encounter problems sometime... When we were leaving (with DCA) for Curacao, the MD-11 that comes out of Quito en route to Amsterdam had a delay of 4 hours at Flamingo due to engine problems. What I mean is, it can happen anytime, but with some airlines, of course, it's more likely to happen ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greg -

Thank you.

I would expect you are correct, but if Ida knows otherwise, I'm sure many would like to learn about an additional service option from the U.S.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 8:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

HELP..I have windsurfers needing to get from Aruba to Bonaire in Dec. with GEAR too! What are the options now??

Annie
www.bonaireworldfreestyle.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Snorkelguy {Scott} on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The #1 option for windsurfers getting from Aruba to Bonaire is Hook In and Hang On! HIHO except the wind is probably going the wrong way…

DCA is the only option I’m aware of without flying all over the Caribbean. They have 1 direct, but several others going through Curacao (CUR).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think the AA plane is bigger into Curacao. Maybe the ferry is an option especially for the gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 12:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey if they can bring dozens of Motorcycles to Bonaire from Aruba using Rocargo, a few boards should not be a problem. Suggest Elvis or Byron talk to Robbie or Maricella...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 4:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gear will either need to go by boat (Rocargo was a good suggestion to help arrange this) or large plane. For large plane, the only option would appear to be KLM from Aruba to Amsterdam, and then KLM from Amsterdam to Bonaire - all other plane traffic between Aruba and Bonaire is small planes and won't be able to handle boards or masts/sails (or whatever you call those things on windsurfers).

Boat seems more practical considering the options...

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration