BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Rochester, NY to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Rochester, NY to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, August 4, 2002 - 9:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I'm getting really itchy about booking for next year. So far, the very best fare I can find is $685, from ROC to Atlanta on Delta, then Delta to SJ, then the AA SJ-BON.

The only other alternative is AA all the way, via ORD, then SJ, at $789.

We want to go for four weeks and are pretty flexible, can depart anytime from last week in Jan through middle of Feb.

AJ requires an overnight somewhere both ways, and going through Aruba also looks much more expensive.

Anyone have any other ideas, seen anything, that might look better?

I'm torn between whether to just go ahead and take the Delta through Atlanta, or wait and see if fares come down.

This is much higher than anything we've had to pay before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 7:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since your schedule may be flexible, consider Dutch Caribbean Airlines... https://www.flydca.net/servlets/AvailableFlightsServlet this is the old ALM... except for connections in MIA, the schedule is good. Call them and ask them to build you a fare from ROC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie
I haven't looked at AA or AJ fare from JFK yet, but we have done well the last few trips. For you the thing is that Jet Blue has great fares ROC to JFK. Some early fights too. AA of coarse flys JFK-SJU- BON, And AJ does JFK-MBJ-BON.
Try that track Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Josie..we're right there with ya..headed out abt the same time and area..I am chomping at the bit to get my tickets..but holding off waiting for the "deal " ....have you checked JetBlue ? and then connect....are you back from China ? or did'nt you leave yet ? watch out for that "snakefish "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Mickey and Debbi: Jet Blue can't get us to NYC in time for the AJ flight and AJ can't get us back in time for the JB flight, so we'd have an overnight both ways. It also works out more than the $685 w/Delta via ATL, SJ, then AA to BON, in addition to the cost and hassle of overnight accommodations at JFK both ways.

I will look into DCA from Miami. Perhaps we can get a reasonable fare from Air Tran to Miami. They've just started flying into Rochester and rates are very good. Not sure whether they go in FL other than the obligatory Orlando.

Let me know if anyone notices anything. We're off to China August 20, and will be back Sept. 14.

Debbi, I'm going to re-read your earlier "hints for China" email, and will let you know if we have any questions. Getting VERY excited!!

Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Springer on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 2:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Josie,

I'd be very careful booking far in advance (on any airline) right now. The entire airline industry is pretty screwed up right now. It's pretty hard to get to Bonaire now, but I wouldn't be suprised if there is a major shake up with Caribbean schedules between now and next year - not to mention several price fluctuations. If you must book now, I would suggest that you use a credit card. You have a better chance of getting your money back if an airline / tour operator goes belly up. If you buy insurance, make sure that it covers airlines / tour operators / hotels going out of business. From what I've seen recently, the airlines don't have a clue. The third and forth quarters of this year are going to tank and I suspect the first quarter of next year will be no better.

The security that passengers have to endure is ridiculous. Read the story at this link and you'll see what I mean: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/2173150.stm

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration