BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Travel to Bonaire from Toronto
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Travel to Bonaire from Toronto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My sister is joining us for our next trip to Bonaire in April 2003. What is the most economical way of getting there from Toronto? With Canada 3000 gone what are the choices?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jill Ganderton on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Gail! A very good question indeed, and one I'm looking into myself for a Christmas-time trip from Toronto.

If DCA is actually up and running, it will provide some options, but I am still finding it a lengthy trip!

American can get us there in a day, but it's ALL day: Toronto-Miami(or Chicago or Boston) -San Juan-Bonaire.

Altenatively, if DCA is a go, AA can go Toronto-Miami-Aruba or Curacao...both arrive around 3pm.in time for a connection to Bonaire. Still very long though.

There seems to be a weekly DCA flight from Miami to Bonaire on a Saturday which would also work..it leaves Miami at 2:10pm, so leaving the option of cheaper charters from Toronto into Miami in time for that one. Don't know if the DCA is direct non-stop though...I saw a posting somewhere about a stop in Haiti which was not good.
DCA also run a daily flight Miami to Curacao, so that could connect into Bonaire too.

The other option ( the best for you I would think, with an April departure) is to wait and see what air -only charters will be available from Toronto. I spoke with an agent here who said Curacao will be on the package deals this year. This could mean a direct non-stop into Curacao and then a hop with DCA. Now THAT could be much faster, and potentailly cheaper too.

Alternatively, air only into San Juan could connect with the AA flight direct to Bonaire.

Sorry this is a waffle of ideas, but that's all I have yet and I thought if I share my jumble of information it might at least save you a little time and give you food for thought!If you have made any better discoveries, I'd be most grateful if you'd share them!
Thanks!
Jill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail y Jill -

And we thought we had a long trip from Dallas!

We have not done this, but it is my understanding (see earlier postings on BonaireTalk) that if you travel through Aruba, you will have to go through Aruban customs.

If this is accurate, just be sure to factor in the extra time required.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Y'all will get it worked out and even if it is a very long day, it will be worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jill Ganderton on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 9:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Charles, it's good to get as much info as we can. Do you think it would be better to go through Curacao? ( It will be our first visit to Bonaire so we are novices at this...but I'm sure you're right, it WILL be worth it!)Thanks!
Jill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jill -

We have not taken a routing through Curacao since 1999, so I am sure there are others in the newsgroup who have more recent experience and can give you more accurate information than I.

If I am correct about requiste customs clearance in Aruba, Curacao should be a favorable connection simply because you would not have to go through customs there, but rather in Bonaire upon arrival.

American does have a non-stop flight from San Juan to Bonaire, but I don't know if the schedule would fit with what you would have to do "upstream" to make the connection in San Juan.

I did not realize this would be y'all's first time in Bonaire. What a treat you have in store! Most definitely worth the hassel (and of course one reason Bonaire is so relatively unspoiled is that it is relatively difficult to get there).

Hope some of this helps. Do seek out others who have made the Curacao-Bonaire connection more recenlty.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jill Ganderton on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 5:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Charles, your advice is much appreciated. My big hope at the moment is that we'll be able to buy "air only" on a charter direct from Toronto to Curacao, and then there will just be that little skip to Bonaire. That would be a really easy alternative to the other routes! We should know once the winter brochures come out next month, so fingers are crossed.
If not though, we'll make it one way or another! Bonaire sounds too good to miss for a family of 4 divers ;-)
Thanks again!
Jill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jill -

Non-stop Toronto-Curacao...now why didn't I think of that! What a great idea.

Wonder if anyone has ever put together a DFW-Aruba or Curaco or Bonaire package?

Jill, our Canadian friends may have planted a seed!

Gracias.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Although it seems like a long time to travel to Bonaire. Traveling to Utila, Honduras usually means transporting thru five airports leaving Chicago and returning. Miss one connection and you're fried! Last time I left Utila I had a five hour layover in San Petro Sula and another five hour layover in Houston because of thunderstorms in the mid-west! I didn't think I would ever get home...JIMINI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 11:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Jim..where did yo stay in Utila ? did you see any whale sharks ? we loved the Laguana beach dive resort while there..best laid out dive boat ever...but I think you will see more fish and love the shore diving in Bonaire..and on " biting midges " I agreee with the connection delema..but sometimes the harder it is to get to a dive destination, the better the diving

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration