BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Delta from Atlanta - Perfect trip April 9th-16th
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Delta from Atlanta - Perfect trip April 9th-16th
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin thornal (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am from Michigan, so i went to Atlanta the night before to make sure i didn't miss the connection. I stayed at the marriott/springhill suites which is stop #1 off the new air train. It was perfect! I am a platinum member on Delta, used miles for a coach seat, but was upgraded very easily. First class only have 5 "normal" customers and the rest were the pilots who would fly on the return trip. Service was great. I would always stay the night before in Atlanta as all it takes is one storm and you would miss your flight with very little options to get down to Bonaire.
My trip mates were from philly and drove to newark and took the flight to CUR and then to Bonaire. They were very late and were about to miss their connection on Insel air. Something really cool happened. The flight attendant made an announcement that they needed to get off first to make their flight, and EVERYONE actually stayed in their seats to allow them to run to the front to make it. In CUR they asked for help and they let them in the front of theline and people did not mind at all! It was one of those little planes on Insel and they made the connection in 20 minutes. I wouldn't recommend trying this, but it did indeed work since people were so nice about the flight being delayed for hours in Newark.
We had our first drink in the airport bar and then off to Sand Dollar.
For those making the stop in Atlanta the night before, they did not give me the option to keep my bags overnight, so i got them in atlanta and re-checked them the next morning before the flight. No problems at all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #768) on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kevin,

We haven't been down for a couple of years, due to the economy in Michigan ( I KNOW you understand!) BUT the last time we did what you did-spent the night both down and back near the airport. It was definitely worth the cost for peace of mind. We had a relaxing dinner, and it was a no-brainer the next day. You're right about limited options, and add to that fact the airport in Atlanta is a nightmare.

We hope to come back again soon. I have 97 dives under my belt, and I want the 100th to be in Bonaire!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin thornal (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 6:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary,
absolutely i understand. I travel for work, so i used miles, and used Marriott points for the hotels, so all i had to pay for was diving and Sand Dollar, $700 for diving and the Sand Dollar you can't beat that! We then bought food from the grocery store and grilled out every night. It was very inexpensive vacation compared to what it could be. The flights are VERY high right now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #323) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We use GRR in Michigan to fly Delta thru Atlanta. I just check on fares leaving next Feb and returning in March as far out as you can book at this time. The fares are over $1300.00. Last year it was just under $900.

I have to believe this is going to have a significant impact on tourism in Bonaire. My wife and I are thinking of forfeiting our lodging deposit and going elsewhere if the fares do not come down before our earliest date to book.

In the last couple of years, I have found that the tickets never get cheaper than on the earliest date you can book unless you can drive to Newark or Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #701) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From GRR, one can fly AA RT to CUR for $561 midweek next Feb/Mar. But you may have to overnight in MIA or CUR to get to BON. Still, it's a lot cheaper than $1300...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #324) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You're right about it being a cheaper ticket to Cur and we will consider that but once you add up the cost of a RT ticket to Bonaire from CUR, PLUS the extra baggage fees and hotels, I am not sure if the savings will be worth it. However, we will sure check.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration