BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Double check your departure tax!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Double check your departure tax!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sharklovers (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 1:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone. Just had a minor issue arise this morning while leaving Flamingo for the plane trip home that I thought I'd post. I think I just read on a prior forum topic that departure tax would be added to airfares purchased after October 1st. We purchased ours last year, but thought I'd double check the Continental receipt, and low and behold, there was the departure tax added in, and showing up as previously stated "PC $35". When I checked in, the agent said that I needed to purchase departure tax because it wasn't in her record. Fortunately, we bring along all of our receipt paperwork and was able to show them that we had indeed already paid. After showing the paperwork to a supervisor, we were not made to pay twice. Just as a precaution, we would surely recommend double checking your receipt for your airfare, as well as bringing along a copy of that receipt, just in case!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #550) on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good advice. We always do the same ... bring all the receipts, etc. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 1:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for bringing this up. I just looked at my Delta receipt for travel in July 2011 and see a tax coded as "AY" for $35.00. I assume that represents my Bonaire departure tax. Can anyone confirm?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

PC is the code for the new Passenger Facility Charge collected by airlines on behalf of BIA. The AY tax pays for security services like TSA etc., and isn't supposed to be more than $10 round trip. My Delta receipts for travel in December 2010 and December 2011 both show $10 AY tax and $35 PC tax, among others.

The email receipts from Delta can be visually confusing. The tax code is to the left of the amount, followed by empty space, then the next code.

For example, my email receipt shows:
XA 5.00 XY 7.00 PC 35.00 AY 10.00

I suspect this may have led you to interpret the $35 tax as code AY. The receipts available from Delta's web site are more intuitive to read.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #168) on Friday, April 8, 2011 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Roger, I think you are correct.
My receipt shows:
XA 5.00 XY 7.00 PC 35.00 AY 7.50

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration