BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Insel Air trip report: Miami-Curacao-Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Insel Air trip report: Miami-Curacao-Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela M (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since I had so many questions before our recent trip to Bonaire re. Insel Air, I wanted to report on our experience with Insel Air. We booked Insel from Miami to Curacao, had to stay overnight in Curacao since the Bonaire airport started closing at 6pm, then flew Curacao to Bonaire. Given the fact that they do not assign seats until check-in, we had no prior experience with this airline and it is used mostly by locals, not tourists, I was more than a little concerned how this trip would go. I needn't have worried, it couldn't have gone better!

Here's the scoop on the baggage questions: On a flight that originates in the US, you are allowed 2 bags at 44lbs/20kg each, plus a 22lbs/10kg scuba allowance. You are also allowed one carryon at 22lbs/10kg plus a personal item. This applies to the small prop plane as well as the MD80 even if you have to overnight in Curacao.

The check-in line at Miami was long, make sure to arrive early. It took us an hour to get through the check in process because it was mostly locals bringing a TON of luggage from their US shopping spree. :) We asked for, and received, exit row seats, which we were very happy about! The plane was an MD-80. In Miami, the lady weighed our carryons and griped about the weight (32 and 38 lbs) but she was nice enough not to charge us, just asked us to pack them lighter next time. She did not weigh our "personal items" so pack your heavier stuff in that.

The security line for the Miami terminal that houses Insel was a nice surprise--there was no line! The terminal itself was practically empty, I think we were the only flight out of that terminal that morning. This was a drastic contrast to our usual American Airlines ordeal where the security line can take up to an hour and a half!

After our overnight stay in Curacao, we checked in at the airport for our flight to Bonaire. It was on a smaller plane. Since we had originated in the US, we were allowed the same baggage, 2 checked bags plus a carryon plus a personal item. This was a real worry for us before our trip wondering if we'd be hit with excess baggage so I was relieved that it wasn't an issue. They did not weigh our carry-ons in Curacao. The flight to Bonaire was on the smaller plane, so they took our rolling carryons from us when we got out to the plane and stowed them in the front, we were allowed to take our personal items on the plane. There is no underseat or overhead storage, but they are not picky about you having your personal item at your feet. It was a nice short 25 minute flight with REALLY good air conditioning, you might need a jacket! When we arrived in Bonaire, our rolling carryons were put outside the plane for us, you pick up your checked bags inside.

Important tip: When you stay overnight in Curacao and are flying out to Bonaire the next morning, you are considered "in transit" since it's under 24 hours. You have to go through immigration but when you arrive at the Curacao airport the next morning, you will go to the "transit" line and only have to pay a $2 per person departure tax.

For the trip home, we checked in at the Bonaire airport, we again requested and received exit row seats for the flight from Curacao to Miami, and our luggage was checked all the way through to Miami. They did not weigh our carry-ons in Bonaire. The best part was only having to pay a $9 per person departure tax in Bonaire, then a $2 per person "transit tax" in Curacao. Sure beats the $35 per person we had to pay flying American Airlines!

All in all, the flights were very prompt, and in fact the flights from both Bonaire and Curacao left early so make sure you arrive with plenty of time. We had a very pleasant experience, Insel was much better than expected. I hope this saves someone from worrying the way I did. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Jaeger (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I are doing the same route on Tuesday May 3rd. Since they have extended the closings at Flamingo until summer, my guess is we'll be staying overnight in Curacao. I have emailed Insel Air about this but have not received a reply. When were you notified of the change in itinerary? What hotel did you use in Curacao overnight? What time did you depart for Bonaire the next day? I'm glad it all worked out for you. We're hoping for the same....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela M (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rick, yes you will likely be staying overnight in Curacao, depending on what time and day your flight arrives. They are keeping the Bonaire airport open until 8pm a few nights for incoming big flights, but I'm not sure when those are. We were not that lucky. You will need to contact Insel to find out what is going on with your flights.

We were not notified by Insel of the change in our itinerary, the woman from whom we rented our condo in Bonaire told us about the 6pm airport closure 2 weeks before we were supposed to leave. Obviously we freaked out. We then called Insel and found out that our flight from Curacao to Bonaire had been moved to the next morning. Again, no notification from Insel and there was no other option--no refunds, no changes. Luckily the woman refunded us for that night, she didn't have to do that and we greatly appreciated it.

Emailing Insel will not do any good, we emailed them twice and received no reply. You will need to call, and make sure you load up on patience before you do so. :)

Based on a recommendation from her, we reserved a room at Apartmentu Holanda in Curacao. The owner, Allan, picked us up from the airport and took us back the next morning--it is only $20 RT for his service, which is much cheaper than a cab to anywhere on that island. You call him when you arrive in Curacao, the Information Desk outside will call him for you and he comes and picks you up. The room was clean, basic, close to the airport (there aren't any hotels nearby) and cheap--$65. Based on our past overnight experiences on Curacao, you're not going to find a better deal than this place. Make sure you check with Apartmentu HOlanda, there is another place called HUlanda and that's not the right one. One note, he takes cash, not CC, so make sure to bring enough $$. Here is the website: http://www.apartamentuholanda.com/index.php

Our flight to Bonaire the next morning left at 8:30am, the plane actually left early so we were on Bonaire by 8:40am. LOL

So, it could have been a nightmare but it wasn't, I'm sure you will have a great trip. Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Jaeger (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Angela,

Thanks for the information. I'll try calling Insel when I have a couple of free hours. Our flight is supposed to arrive in BON at 8:05pm. The airport is scheduled to close at 7:45pm that day. This is our 26th trip to BON since 1997. It just gets harder and takes longer to get there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela M (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I completely agree, we used to fly to Bonaire on AA but ever since they cancelled the flight from San Juan to Bonaire, it's been nothing but a mess trying to get there now. We've tried various things and so far haven't found a perfect solution. But I guess if Bonaire wasn't worth it, we wouldn't bother, would we? Good luck! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was able to reserve my seats when making my online reservation. There is a button below "Lead Traveler" and "Contact Details" under the "Traveler Seating" section labeled "Select Seats". If you click on this button, you are able to select your seats for the flights. I don't know if there is a way to choose seating after making the reservation though. I held my assigned seats for both directions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela M (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well that's good to know if we ever fly them again, they sure don't advertise that you can do that! Although we couldn't have gotten better seats than the emergency row. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Jaeger (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did receive an email response from Insel Air confirming that our late flight from CUR to BON has been cancelled and we are rebooked for the next morning on the 7am flight. I have booked a room at the Holanda. Allan recommends that we eat at the Curacao airport before we call him to pick us up. Anyone know if there is a decent restaurant there? We haven't been through there in years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela M (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ooooo that's tough, there's not much at the airport but I guess what little is there would be better than starving. There's a sports bar & grill that serves hamburgers, etc, some sort of cafe that serves sandwiches, etc, and a sushi stand, but I've never seen it open. The souvenir shops all have snacks, drinks, etc, but nothing substantial. There's nothing around the airport either where Allan could take you by. Maybe once you get to the apartment, he could call you a cab and you can go to town? That's what I would do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #538) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

there are plenty of restaurants in the area that could deliver to your room .. ..not much at the airport .. a cab into Willemstead would run you easily $ 25 each way......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #689) on Monday, April 4, 2011 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

what was open in the afternoon in between terminals was Burger King...Lovers Ice Cream..Sabarros Pizza , a sports bar and a sandwich place...inside departure terminal there was coffee bar with sandwiches also,

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration