BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Curacao to Bonaire flights
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Curacao to Bonaire flights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jes S. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just wondering..
we're flying into Curacao from Victoria BC
We haven't purchased the curacao to Bonaire flight as of yet.
Is it feasible to wait till we arrive in Curacao to get the tickets? If not, generally how long does it take to get through all the required obstacles in Curacao. Ie. Customs, security, dealing with extra luggage, anything else?
I would hate to book a 3pm flight to Bonaire when we arrive in Curacao at noon at still miss that flight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #782) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 1:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Book now, there are few seats on these small planes.
It takes at least 50 minutes to get your bags and clear customs.
after exiting the customs hall, turn left and walk about 60 yards and you'll see the ticket counters.
Have a secondary plan with a hotel in case the flight is late, and that does happen, just ask me.
Take the phone number of the airline your using to let them know your on the ground.
You'll need to bring your cell, as the few pay phones in the airport do not use cash.
Just know you'll need to get your hustle on with the AA flight landing at 3:15 and the last flights to Bonaire leaving at 5.
But just know, it's worth it!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #114) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Be aware that the BON airport is closed most nights Mon thru Fri, so dont get a ticket for anything later than 5PM, because it will get Cancelled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1586) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do not wait to arrange your flight to Bonaire. In addition to the info here, there is the added obstacle of airport closings (I wrote the BON/CUR flight FAQs about normal times, not when airports close, so adjust as needed):
http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/428113/439540.html?1292012890

As Ron states, our airport on Bonaire is closing at night for construction. It doesn't close on Fridays & Saturdays, but does close all other evenings. I believe AA arrives at 2:05pm now, so book a 4pm or later CUR/BON flight (not the 3:30ish ones) & hope for the best. Bill's advice about being prepared for delays is spot-on. See this article from the Bonaire Insider for further info:

http://www.bonaireinsider.com/index.php/bonaireinsider/bonaire_international_airport_announces_extended_schedule_through_july_for_/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17370) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got my AA ticket. MIA-CUR arrives in Curacao at 2:40.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom M. (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What's the route from Victoria to Curacao?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1587) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 1:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

RA...when is your ticket for? I was just looking for April flights ($118 each way-yay!), but the arrival time states 2:05. 2:40 just makes it that much harder to transit, especially with the even earlier airport closings here. And beware if you're flying on Wed or Sat, because CO's EWR/CUR flight arrives about the same time as AA's MIA/CUR. Grrr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17371) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 1:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Ruth, we are coming last week in June. It was originally 2:05 and just changed this week to 2:40. We are coming on Saturday and booked Insel at 5p.m. AA also changed our return flight, we were scheduled to leave at 3:25 but they switched us to 7:30 or gave us the option of still leaving at 3:25 but we would miss our connection and have to over night in Miami. We are spending a few days in Curacao on the way back so that won;t be too bad but they are making it even more difficult to get to and from Bonaire!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

R.A. and others: If you have a choice in which flight to/from Bonaire, and are using Insel, try to select a flight that uses the MD-80 jet. Not because it is faster or quieter (which it is) but because you are allowed another 10 kg per person checked baggage, and you can take the normal carry on luggage with you on the plane. If you use the small turbo-prop, you have to check your carry on unless it's small enough you want to carry it on your lap the whole way. There are no over head storage or under seat storage on the small plane. Of course, if you have to make a timely connection, you have to take what you can. But, it sounds like you may have flexibility on your return from Bonaire to Curacao, and could select the aircraft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17384) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Rick, we have flown Insel before and we travel pretty light. I travel with 2 kids so their stuff doesn't take up much room, and I don't mind giving my carry on to store, it's only a 25 minute flight and honestly my son thinks the little plane is the coolest! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jes S. (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Tom.. sorry for the late reply..
We're flying Victoria > Seattle > Miama > Curacao > Bonaire. Victoria to Seattle is Alaskan Air and Seattle to Curacao is American Air and then DAE from Cur to Bon.
The return is the same in reverse.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration