BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: CREDIT CARD NUMBER STOLEN ORDERING DIRECT TV ON CONTINENTAL
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: CREDIT CARD NUMBER STOLEN ORDERING DIRECT TV ON CONTINENTAL
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DR THOMAS R TIPPINS (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Credit card number stolen ordering DirectTV on CONTINENTAL flight returning to Houston...Only time all week used this card...resulted in ten fraud charges to my credit card. All fraud charges were made in Brazil.
Be aware of using your credit card for any purchases on Continental Flights!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1581) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 4:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. T.

I'm betting that you were the victim of a pocket scanner while out of the country. Being an airline guy, I really don't see how your card info could be stolen using the phones on the aircraft. Modern day identity thieves have devices that they carry in their pocket that can read the magnetic strip off of your card while it is in your wallet or purse just by walking within a few feet of you. My bet is that is the more likely source of your problem.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy - 'Rayman' (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3992) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sorry Eric, but can you point me to a link about these 'devices' that can read Mag strips from a few feet away?

Being an 'Electronics security Guy' I'm a little surprised at your claim!

RFID technology maybe, but Mag strips - no way.

The main method ID thieves use to get info off Mag cards is to install a dummy reader over the top of the real one, or there's plenty of portable readers that will fit in a pocket but the Mag Card still has to be swiped.

So my advice to Thomas would be to inform the Airline which seat you were in and to check their Seat phones for any manipulation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #656) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 4:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I tend to agree with Roy re: mag stripe cards, but I think some of them nowadays also have an rfid chip allowing them to be in proximity to a reader.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #937) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There was a TV documentary a few days ago about those readers - I think on ABC ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #679) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

is it true if you wrap your credit cards in aluminium foil that will stop that kind of theft ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DR THOMAS R TIPPINS (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Roy...called Chase again no RFID technology in my credit card...Although Chase does use that technology in their BLINK CARD. You need to be 2 inches away or closer for the scanner to work with the BLINK CARD

It had to be a dummy reader in the Continental Airlines Direct TV card scanner...or someone working for Continental Airlines or Direct TV

Card skimming works only when carrying one card at a time,and the stolen card was in my wallet with 5 other cards with magnetic strips!!!

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

Check this website out Snopes.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DR THOMAS R TIPPINS (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will call Continental Airlines and give them my flight # and seat #s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1582) on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Roy, thanks for correcting that. It's what I meant. But the Doc says he didn't have RFID so back to square one. I'm just very skeptical that it was an aircraft phone that skimmed the number. Don't know how that would be possible.

Could someone near you on the plane have simply read the number off your card or snapped a picture of it while you had it out?

The other thought is that the illegal use of your card coinciding with your vacation may be just a coincidence. Many identity thieves will wait months after stealing your info to actually use it.

Bottom line: Hate this happened to you and I hope that you can resolve it with the credit card company. Both times it has happened to me, Discover Card actually called me to tell me that their software detected it. They cancelled the charges, cancelled my card, and had a replacement on my front porch the next morning via overnight delivery. Was very impressed with their system.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #911) on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Right Eric
They don't always use the info right away. Years back I had a hit and run incident on my rental car in Ecuador. The rental company was giving me a problem with payment for the damage. Amex fixed that.
But, a year later to the day a charge for concert tickets in Ecuador showed up on my account. That was a little tougher to fix, but since my passport showed I was not in Ecuador at that time it worked out OK
Mick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration