BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Curaçao airport
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Curaçao airport
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 8:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everybody. When i arrive at Curaçao in March, i'll have to call Allan at Apartamentu for a pick-up.
My question is, Can i buy a phone card in the airport? I'll arrive 11-11:30pm. If not, how can i call him?
See you soon!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #489) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

unless things have changed in the last month .. i have never found a place that sells phone cards .. i always have a "spare"with me ... i am sure there are public phones but to be honest i have never looked for one .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be in a similar situation in March. I was hoping there might be public (pay) phones? Anyone else have a suggestion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17251) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Global cell phone? if you don't own one you can rent from several US carriers such as Verizon or At&T. AMEX platinum also lets you "borrow" one at no cost, you just pay the connection, shipping and call fees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 2:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just saw that i can use my own cell phone in roaming. Just need to activate the international roaming. It´s $1.69 a minute...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Friday, February 4, 2011 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not sure I want to buy or rent a cell phone for one phone call. I know pay phones are going by the wayside, but not gone from USA airports yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1510) on Friday, February 4, 2011 - 8:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Even if there is a pay phone in the Curacao airport, it'd probably take only NAF (Antillean Guilders). I've never seen one there, but I'll look when I go on Feb 11. Also, most, if not all of the shops, restaurants & bars, close around 8pm, leaving little chance to get change (even the executive lounge in the departure hall closes). This is the airport's website, but I couldn't find any phone info, or even operating hours: http://www.curacao-airport.com/index-2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 9:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just emailed them and the answer is that there is payphones in the airport and it accepts US$.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1520) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Be careful it's not one of those special "international" payphones (they usually are blue, with little flags from around the world all over it)-it might take $, but you'll be paying probably over $40 to make that call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 2:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sure, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1526) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 12:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are two UTS (one of the local phone companies) pay phones at CUR outside the security area (I was too rushed to check on what currency or cards they take-sorry; I'm back there on the 28th & will look better). There are half a dozen payphones inside the departure hall near the sports bar, but these are all the bad "blue" phones that will take your credit card & charge you a lot of money. I hope this is not what they mean when they told you that the payphones accept US$...one call will cost you almost as much as your room for the night.

When you leave the arrivals hall, go to your left, as if you were walking to the check-in counters. You'll pass the thru the food-court area (Sbarro/Wendy's-walk between these 2), and after the next shop, you'll see a hallway to restrooms & the phones. This is on the same side as the Wendy's. Rick, I don't know how late you're arriving in CUR, but that airport really does close up-most shops by 8, maybe one still open at 10pm. Try to figure out if you can use your own US cell phone in CUR (you'd probably have to dial 011-599-then his 7 digit #), or arrange your pick-up via email before you board in the US. I don't know what else to tell you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 2:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth and all: Thank you very much for the info. On the way TO Bonaire, I have a flight on Insel (Fri night so airport should be open) late. It is the return trip back to the states that I have reservations with Allen. I arrive CUR midday, so that shouldn't be a problem. I depart at 7:10AM via AA to MIA, but Allen says he has no problem getting me there at 5:00AM-I double checked with him. So, I think all will be good. Again, thanks for all the info - you all brought up things I never thought of, or just took for granted they'd be the same as in USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1528) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 2:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to be of help. It's sooo not the US here.
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 8:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you! I think i´ll use my own cell phone. Will be there in 18 days!!! Very anxious!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration