BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: 1/8 and 1/22 report
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: 1/8 and 1/22 report
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #406) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We flew Delta on 1/8 from ATL and had no problem, the flight was on time and arrived 15 minutes early. Getting through immigration was a snap and our luggage soon followed. Then the mess started. They decided to screen all bags entering Bonaire and only had one machine and 2 agents. As you can imagine it was chaotic. When they decided to hand search a lady's bag I thought people were going to explode. It took us over an hour to get through and there were folks behind us.

Our journey home was very easy and getting through the screening process on Bonaire took less than 20 minutes. You still need a departure tax unless your ticket was a very recent purchase.You can pay the tax with a credit card but now you must check in first so you cannot get it in advance like we used to do. I suggest allowing 2 hours between connecting flights in ATL as it is very busy and you must go through the entire screening process again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh my gosh! Is this something new that is being done on a regular basis??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1476) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, they are screening every bag that comes in, even purses, etc., and there's only 1 machine. They do the same in CUR (at least there are 3 machines there), so you can see how this could really add time to a connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So screening incoming bags is a new twist.......anyone have any idea what they are screening for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last Feb. they hand screened about 2/3 of the outgoing bags before the Bon to Atl flight. Why they let the last 1/3 go without screening was never explained. Perhaps they found whatever they were looking for? But why screen incoming bags? Do they think TSA in Atlanta might have missed something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the information about departure tax. I've been hoping someone would post a recent experience with the new procedure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1477) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There's been an x-ray machine for a long time already. It's use has been inconsistent in the past. Since we've become part of Holland, it's use is more regular. They screen for the same things all customs screen for: drugs, weapons, excessive amounts of cash, items for which the sales tax (like an import duty) might be eligible, etc.

I don't know of any airport that doesn't screen bags/people in some sort of way, whether it's by x-ray or customs forms/customs employees making human judgements, etc. ATL makes you go thru the entire security process again (metal detector/luggage thru x-ray/laptops out...) even if ATL is your final destination and just want to leave the airport. That I thought was excessive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gross (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It does seem excessive, but to get out of the airport you have to take the train, which means you are back in the secured area along with everyone that is leaving Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Schnaak (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not only that Larry, But passengers have been in contact with their checked luggage during the Customs and Immigration process. So, re-screening becomes necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So maybe hubby should take carry ons and head for car rental while I wait for the bags and then take them through customs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #652) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Coming back to the US, they want all members of a party to stay together; I tried that once and was told no.
Unsure how it works on BON...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1479) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As far as I know, once you're past immigration here, you can split up & do exactly what Carol said (I sure would). Keep in mind you have to put all your bags on the x-ray's conveyor belt (easy, because it's low, just tip bags onto it), and take them off yourself at the top which is counter-height (not so easy). Can turn into an "I Love Lucy"/Lucy & Ethel working the chocolate factory scene, but with luggage; assuming they don't want to inspect your bags...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #134) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carol has a good idea-as soon as we clear immigration, I always head immediately for the car rental place while Laura goes for the luggage. I get the truck and go back to the airport and hopefully by then Laura will have gotten all of the luggage and gone through security.

We do the same thing in reverse upon leaving-I drop her off at the airport to stand in line while I return the vehicle.

It usually works great.
Vann Evans
Sand Dollar A4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #413) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vann -- we do the same. Works every time.

We also used to swing by the airport on the way back from southern dive sites and buy our departure tax receipts, but I guess that's a thing of the past with the new tickets including it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #409) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 1:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For those arriving on a red-eye flight you may be lucky and miss the bag screening. I understand it does not open until 7:00AM. I guess that means suspicious bags only enter after 7:00AM. Pray your flight is on time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #994) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great news for us early birds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lori Mulhisen (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 9:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We arrived in Bonaire via the Newark red-eye on January 9, 2011, at approximately 5:30 a.m. and I did not see anyone's bags being screened or x-rayed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart slavin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 12:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

George,, they have done that screening in the past..I also go to the car rental while the rest of my crew scrambles to get out...I will be back next year!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration