BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: USAIR INSEL CONNECTION
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: USAIR INSEL CONNECTION
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #848) on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anybody actually used USAir to MIA and then connect with Insel to CUR (BON)? I looked on the USAir web site and they don't even recognize CUR..was looking for mid summer 2011

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #646) on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kayak seems to bring up the USAir/Insel connection via Aruba, a total of 4 flights to get to BON...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #932) on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 7:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

US air is not flying to Curacao, just Aruba where you would have a connection with Tiara Air to Bonaire

Insel Air and US Air seem to start their coop somewhere in June via Charlotte ....

For the moment Insel Air is flying only Miami to Curacao daily and on Saturdays only direct to Bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #132) on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 11:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we have flown the Insel Air flight from Miami to Curacao and then on to Bonaire several times. We used American for the flights to and from Miami. all of the connections worked fine.They use MD-80, so luggage weight is per normal US standards. I know this is not your original question, but it may help if you can fly with American to/from Miami.

Vann Evans
Sand Dollar A4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #849) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 6:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vann,

did American transfer your luggage to Insel or did you have to pick it up in MIA and recheck it with Insel? tks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #482) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 8:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, you have to pick up your luggage in Curacao, if you're connecting there from American to Insel onward to Bonaire and then re-check. If you're on one of the small planes, do watch your weight allowance on both checked bags and carry-on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #850) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,

I understand the Cur connection (I'm a frequent bonaire travller)...I'm specifically interested in the MIA connection with Insel when arriving in MIA from another US city enroute to CUR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1468) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 6:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've flown AA into MIA, connecting to Insel for MIA/CUR. I did have to re-check my bags w/Insel. I would think no matter how you get to MIA, you have to check your bags with Insel yourself (at least until Insel is officially an interline partner/whatever with USAir; then I would think only USAir would transfer bags to Insel).

On the plus side for Insel, at least if you travel MIA/CUR/BON on them, they'll check your bags thru to BON, and walk you thru the transfer hall in CUR. All other airlines require you to pick up your bags & clear them in CUR, and re-check them again for CUR/BON.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #483) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Ruth, I could not have said it better myself. Yes, in MIA, unless connecting from US Air, you do have to collect bags and then recheck them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #851) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 6:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, tks, that was the answer I was seeking...I would consider using Insel from MIA but the thought of lugging bags thru MIA doesn't appeal to me. I looked for USAir flights connecting with Insel for July and USAir web site doesn't even recognize BON or CUR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #933) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 6:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, as the date for the start of the coop US Air / Insel Air are not set you will not find it on their web sites yet. I got the information that the web sites will show it about 4 months before the fixed date .... as they think the date will be June the web sites could show it in February .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1470) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 11:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eh, MIA's no biggy (I do it 2-4x/yr, every year since '87)--just grab a porter at the baggage carousel. About $10+ cash will solve this dilemma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #743) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 12:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,
Is the Insel Air, Charlotte to Bonaire connection still on for this summer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #934) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 7:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, have a look what I wrote ... this information I got from Insel Air 3 days ago ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #744) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank you!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration