BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Outragous Airfare in March
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Outragous Airfare in March
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been watching, and waiting for airfare to come down, but it's just going up, up, up. For Denver to Bonaire, either via Continental or Delta, for 12-19 March (+/- a day) it is not running $2,000 round trip. That's just for airfare, that I paid $780 - $835 for in the past. I did notice that this specific week is higher (not sure why), but it's still over $1500 for airfare in March. Is there something special going on in March this year (I've been there the last 3 years the same time)? I have looked at going through Curacao or Aruba (which I've read is not recommended), but the cost is not much better, unless I arrive/depart 3-4 days earlier/later. Anyone know why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #406) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you can get to Miami for $400- $500 R/T, Insel is running about $420 R/T or so for MIA - BON. On Saturdays, it's direct. On other days, it's via Curacao. That would make the total R/T air fare less than $1000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #648) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kayak tells me $1278 to BON on Continental and $1111 to CUR on AA.
Those are weekend flights and are likely close to selling out at this point due to peak season and spring break.
You can fly mid-week to CUR on AA for $619, for example...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #131) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps pertinent to this discussion - I know that Alaska Airlines has a feature on their website that if you purchase a ticket and they come down in price that they will refund you the difference toward a future ticket purchase.

I wonder if any of our airlines that go into Bonaire have a similar guarantee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1467) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I go thru CUR every time...AA's 2x/day MIA/CUR gives a lot of flexibility. Add about another $100 for CUR/BON round-trip.

I do blame spring break for the high prices--You and over 2 million students want to travel that week: http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar2.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #171) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 12:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick:
We travel to Bonaire from Denver for at least one trip every year. What I will describe as my process to get there, has gotten us fares within our Budget and has climbed for about 5% each year. This may be a mute point, as the dates that you may travel are determined by specific dates related to other commitments. We always like to escape the winter chill. I really have had my best luck by trying to eliminate travel falling on known holidays. Jan, Feb, March, April have usually been accessible at good prices. We both work; but pick dates when we both can travel that do not conflict with holiday dates with respect to the Lenten Calender and College Spring Break. The last three weeks of Jan are almost always good. Times through Feb, March and April can also be good if Lenten celebrations to Easter or spring break do not conflict with chosen dates. Start looking as early as August and try to get your tickets before Thanksgiving. I will say that the last few years; however, yielded some great deals one month to flight time. I think that 2008 and 2009 had last minute fire sales as there were half empty planes due to the economy. Flexibility to dates of travel gives access to: the lowest fares. Make a predetermined price that you will pay and check your dates. Check your search engine every Sat, Sun, Tue mornings. I hope that this helps for your future plans. Please feel free to email me with future questions; but ask me to check mail on this board. We will be unavailable by tomorrow 1200 MST as we embark on our next two weeks of Bonaire Bliss. Also consider Continental's Saturday-Sunday flights through IAH as they are often lower priced than the Friday-Saturday flights. We have used Delta once using an overnight in an ATL hotel. That came reasonable only for last year's travels. I also have not ruled out Insel and have tracked them as well . I hope that this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernest Day (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We each got a new Delta Amex card. It posted 45k miles after 3k in spending. Add a few extra bills to top off the account at 50k, and there you go. An almost free ticket. We paid just $54 in taxes to go March 4 from SFO. if you see us, be sure to say Hello. We will be the group with the big smiles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think Ruth hit the nail...but the group I go with has been going during spring break (whenever that is...here each school district is a different week, so didn't think internationally everyone would be taking the same week). Patrick, I have had success doing just that the last nine trips in the last three years, and none were over $835 r/t.

To clarify, I was looking at the CO trip out of IAH arriving on Sat (dep Fri) and departing on Sun. Seems that schedule (via IAH or EWR) is several hundred more. I'm looking at AA to curacao, but that requires at least on night stay in Curacao (to make the 7:00AM departure). I'm not sure how much those associated costs would be...hotel, taxi, meals, etc. I'm hoping for a price reduction as we get closer to departure. Right now they only show a couple vacant seats, but I know they hold some in reserve. About half the plane opened up 24 hours before departure on my trip to Roatan last Oct, and the price fell $200. I used my flyer miles on that trip, would have saved them if I'd known that was going to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just found a good price to Curacao, but it requires an overnight stay both ways. Can someone recommend an inexpensive place to spend the night there. Not looking for anything fancy...hopefully somewhat close to the airport (not sure how high taxi fees are).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1549) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The price of oil is going up, the price of flying is going to follow it.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #649) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 1:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's a tad simplistic, Eric...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #398) on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick,

I don't know why people say through Curacao is not recommended. I have never had any problem.I fly out of DCA (Washington, DC). I always use Sidestep.com to compare airfares. Let me suggest a little exercise to try.

Usually 6 months in advance, I start checking air. Not just on the dates I plan to travel, but a couple of dates, both in advance and after I plan on going.

I note the costs both to Bonaire, and to Curacao on different airlines. I add $100 bucks for Curacao. Then I do the math. Which one is usually the cheapest to where? That gives me a good idea of what fares will be like 3 months out from my trip.

Here on the east coast, we have much better air fares and flying time to get to Bonaire. I NEVER purchase air less than 3 months in advance. It gives me time to adjust my vacation budget one way or another.

I never gamble with my vacation. Air fares are a crapshoot. You might win, but more often than not you'll lose. If you find a fare you can live with 6 months in advance, book it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #311) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 8:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our experience has been to book 330 days in advance, as soon as fares become avaialble. I often check back and cannot remember ever finding lower fares.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #388) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom Nic- yes, most airlines, including AA will give you the price difference if the fare goes lower AFTER they take out a $150 "re-ticketing fee", and that's usually about the whole price difference right there.

Who says going through CUR is not recommended? I have gone through CUR for years...back in the ALM days, and now again. I've never had a problem. It just makes for a long day because it's one more layover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #745) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 11:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick
Because of the airfare costs I always go through Curacao. If need be I can get a great room for 65$ a night.
I follow the prices on yapta or kayak. The daily emails with the price fluctuations makes it simple.

(Message edited by billie_bubbles on January 22, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scotttyd (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 3:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Prices in April are outrageous as well. Last two years (summer trips) I paid 650 and 815 from RDU. This year it was 1100 at a minimum for continental and 990 for delta. I ended up using Delta miles (only 50,000) and paid 52 in tax. One week later the price jumped to 1300 for continental and 1200 from Delta or 70,000 miles. I got lucky and got the mileage ticket just in time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deb Gunther (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've found a local (US) charity event where they auction off a pair of R/T Continental tickets every year, good for 48 states US plus Caribbean. For 2 years now we've scored those tickets for $500 each. The charity benefits and so do we. I haven't had problems with using the tickets when I want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For clarification, it is Aruba that is not recommended to fly through, not Curacao. I understand this is because it is a busy airport, with limited (2) customs persons.

Bill, or anyone, can you provide name and email/contact info for great hotels for $65/night? If I go through Curacao, I'll need a room each way, so I'm figuring $130(?) to $250 extra in addition to the $100 airfare to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #746) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 12:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick
try: info@apartamentuholanda.com Allan is the owner, ask him for his phone number and he'll pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Nice person, clean rooms. There is a Denny's up the street.
Chris Keen, who I believe is on island this week also uses these apartments.
Most people who use his apartments come to the Curacao hospital which is right across the street.
On occasion he's slow to respond but he'll finally get to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Hand (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last year we were planning on a trip to Florida at Spring Break (mid-March). About a month out from that I was checking prices to Bonaire and got RT out of JFK for $382 each. This year it is roughly 3 times that amount. We're going to Cozumel instead this time. However we want to go back to Bonaire next year (March 2012). So I'm checking prices frequently this year to see if we see the same drop as last year. It is a big thing to risk though I suppose we could always head to Florida as a back-up plan (we have someone to stay with down there anyways).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1568) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 4:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Simple does not mean false.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12972) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 4:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think you are gonna see $382 again. Maybe $480 and remember, they also add in the departure tax onto each ticket now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Cap (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick,
For what it's worth - we experienced same issue with flights from DC for two weeks from now. Last year we paid (one stop through ATL) $707, year before $635, $550 before that, etc. THis year fares were anywhere from $1,100 to $2,000....most have been in the middle, crazy! We ended up booking on Insel from MIA for $460 (through Curacao), but we also ended up going a day early (poor us :)) to get better connections from Curacao over to BON. The kicker was the flights to MIA were the hard part! They were like $525+, from DC to MIA...!? Luckily we have a friend who lives in South Beach, SO we booked one more day early (St. Paddy's Day in south beach - like it or not, we figure it's tropical for our vaca start!) from DC to MIA for $280, and will stay with our friend. In the end, definately a bit of a pain and lucky that we have the options we do, but it will cost $740 all-in. The way I look at it, I am grateful to be able to do our annual trip in paradise! And an extra day, and another extra day in South Beach...life is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 1:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Craig, I found the same thing - getting to MIA was almost as much as MIA to BON! I found a deal (kind of by accident) on Priceline for DEN-CUR on American for just under $700 r/t. That requires a red-eye out of DEN on Thurs midnight, to MIA, then connecting on to CUR. Then CUR to BON on Insel arriving at 8:10PM (22 hours later). Oh well, I'd rather spend the extra night in BON than MIA anytime. Also, have to return on Monday, to get the price break.

This is the same week I've been coming every year with a dive club (they choose spring break week so members with kids in school can make it). The prices were so high, the group canceled the trip this year. If prices don't ease up, they will look for another destination next year. There is no way many families can pay $2000 per person just for airfare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #200) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 8:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick, my wife and I flew Toronto-Curacao last November then connected with Insel to Bonaire. I would not hesitate to do it again. AA flies to Curacao daily and having to travel around my wife's work schedule, this works out just fine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration