BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: How do you deal with the annoyances of getting to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: How do you deal with the annoyances of getting to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #144) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 9:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I always try to plan our trips to Bonaire using flexible dates to try and meet the predetermined max that we will spend for that trip. I never look back to see if the prices go down and begin securing lodging etc. The hardest part is traveling to and from our favorite winter destination. We have bonded with Coco Palm Garden who have exceeded our needs for all of what they provide.
We deal with the most challenging part of our vacation (Air Travel) by accepting that the vacation has not started until we get off on the tarmac BON. We choose to fly coach. That is what we can best afford. We always prepare by expecting the worst flight that we have ever had and that is a very productive exercise while flying to Bonaire or anywhere else. We remind ourselves that flying in today's conditions successfully (without a bunch of bad mojo) requires an attention to etiquette. By accepting the reasonable needs of others around you, the payback is returned to you many fold. While it may not always come from the other passengers directly, it puts us in a much better frame of mind and usually we end each flight without feeling like we experienced major annoyances. If we did experience major annoyances, it becomes favorite fodder for laughs during our layovers and for our memory in a future laugh.
Our greatest laughs post flight come not from material of others who have the common difficult and reasonable situations associated with life in a diverse world on the move. Our annoyances do not come from the young couple with the crying infant, the obese person that must raise the arm of their seat to take part of mine for their left cheek, the deaf women that talks way too loud, the man with the prostate issue requiring a trip to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Our greatest annoyances come from the seemingly entitled, reactionary, people with the imperial attitudes that have forgotten that they purchased tickets on public transportation at the price limit that they had chosen to pay. Forgive me, but I will recall to: The woman who kicked the back of my seat on the Continental Redeye for reclining it as it was "cramping her space". The lady who bounced her three year old toddler on the tray-table behind a most gracious elderly women sitting next to me. The elderly man that designated the entire overhead compartment above our seats off limits as he did not want to crease his jacket. The same man who refused to take his designated seat (middle seat next to his daughter) as they were no longer getting along.
I hope that you, as with us laugh, so hard that you cry. Please don't cry! Save it for the right moment and laugh as hard as we have. And please be considerate of others who are just trying to get to one of their most favorite places on a planet that is soon approaching 7+ billion people.
Please share how you cope with the annoyances of getting to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6204) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, if it isn't funny at the time, it will be later when we retell it....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4181) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to say, having flown Air Jamaica a gazillion times (miss that airline, AA to BON via SJU and now to CUR, Delta (horrid arrival the same time as Arkefly and KLM one time) and more Continental, I feel Continental is INTOLERABLE..the tuna can size and small cramped seats are abysmal. Nuff said..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1205) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 11:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I consider it just a part of the adventure.

On our last trip (this year), while sitting at the gate in ewr, looking around, I said to G, "Wow, look at this group of people".

When they called for assisted pre-boarding, everyone but 9 or so of us got up..........the plane was full. You can imagine what that flight was like! The worst, not a moment of quiet, not a breath of un-gaseous (of the human kind), or barfy-ous air, and we've been going since 92.

Travel with compassion and humor, we've all been there, or will be there at some point in life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 11:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann:
I think that you are no doubt speaking for not just yourself; as you advocate well for your customers that rave about you here on Bonaire Talk. I think that it is simply the state of air travel to Bonaire and many other destinations in the world today. The recollection that I had regarding the elderly man and his antics actually occurred not on Continental; but, on Delta last year as I rethink the event. We still prefer that flight leaving from Denver through Atlanta; but, the costs this year are prohibitive, even considering the overnight in an ATL hotel as a $ wash for the convenience. Our at least annual trip to Bonaire is still worth the annoyances. How do you cope?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1212) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In a word... "sedation"
Especially on Continental

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #742) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 2:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've always considered traveling an adventure, especially to Bonaire! Sometimes you swing from the vines scot free, other times your dragged through the muck.
Living on the west coast does present escalated issues if your headed to Bonaire, but getting to paradise shouldn't be easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #462) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 2:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't actually found the travel to/from BON on Continental to be particularly annoying, not even the epic trek there from the far west coast. (Let's hope tomorrow's flight doesn't break that trend.)

Even when I'm stuck in coach....on the way down I have the entire vacation spread out before me and the anticipation and excitement of seeing good friends and doing some warm water diving. And, on the return flight I have tons of great memories to re-live in my head.

And high quality noise canceling headphones don't hurt, either.

Quite honestly, I have never equated the air travel to/from Bonaire with annoyance. Now, business travel is another story.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3392) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 6:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is a real EZ one. The answer is simple.. I take drugs; better living through chemistry! ;)

In all seriousness I do agree that the worse part of the Bonaire experience is getting there and returning. I try to look at it as an adventure.

And as Liz has said, it sure beats business travel (which is something at my stage in my career I have been able to successfully avoid for some time now).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #391) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 8:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick -- thanks for starting a great thread. For travel to BON, as others have stated, it's just part of the adventure. Some sanity-saving thoughts ... we arrive early to avoid stressing about getting through security, laugh when removing boat shoes to walk through with bare feet ... plan for not enough overhead space, so carry things that will go under the seat in front ... plan for a large person to be in the seat next to you, then be pleasantly surprised when not ... don't worry about being the first one to clear immigration on BON, feel the warm sea air while you wait ... etc. We can't control the people or circumstances around us, just our reaction to them (sometimes easier said than done, I will admit).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6572) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 9:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going with Grunt and Vince on this one.... xanax and sometimes even a BEER at 7 am, too. And headphones with my meditation music. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RObert Carter (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am a first grade teacher. We go to Bonaire during the Christmas season to escape from the kids and the snow. Flying is just part of the expierence. Since there is not direct flights from SLC to BON yet (We always hope that Delta may Change that) We have to make connections. During the connections We wonder around the airport working out in a sense getting tired. Then have drinks and board the airplane. Being uneasy with crowds and tight places I then get another drink on the plane and try to sleep ignoring the other people as much as I can.
I know that Continental is not everyone favorite airline, but I do like them better than Delta.
My wife and I love the island and as soon as we are outside of the plane even just at the airport we feel at ease instantly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #642) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Some observations above apply to air travel in general, not specifically to Bonaire.
The annoyances of our last trip to BON were two-fold.
We had the DL flight from/to ATL and dealing with Flamingo airport on Saturday seemed a major ordeal, especially the departing Saturday with two full Dutch planes around the same time.

Part two annoyance was the huge crowd from these flights trying to check into/out of Buddy Dive at the same time. But I'll give them credit: they staffed up and it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

So now I've just booked an 8-day Halloween trip and I hope to avoid both of these annoyances by flying AA to CUR and hopping over on a Wed and back on Thur.
We'll see...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob RE/MAX Bonaire www.bonairehomes.com (BonaireTalker - Post #70) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is my best suggestion for those of you who can only visit here. Baggage loss is a fairly common occurrence, so plan ahead. Either wear you island clothes on the plane, or pack them in your carry on. Pack a swimsuit, hat, underwear, shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops so you can still enjoy your first day or two on Bonaire until your luggage arrives.

If you forget, Outlet Mol, located on the parking lot downtown, has a great selection of beach wear in all sizes (kids too) including T-shirts, board shorts, bikini's, womens one and two piece swim suits in ALL sizes, Speedo's, hats and even some womens fashion items.

In conclusion, those of us who live and work on Bonaire know that getting here isn't easy, so we want to thank you for coming to Bonaire year after year. We really appreciate that you choose to spend your vacation dollars on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1462) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Getting from & to is just as aggravating. I travel via CUR/MIA on AA, and travel at non-peak times, like Tue/Wed/Thur. I've tried DL & CO. DL/ATL was just awful--one of my worst traveling experiences ever, and I've flown Haiti Air & Air India (a long time ago). The CO flight times make me lose too many days to recuperate from lack of sleep. And via Aruba is just too much of a PITA.

I always assume I won't see my luggage for 2 days (although I haven't had any delays in years), no matter where I go, and always pack 2 days of essentials in my carry-on.

And of course: Beer, ipod, ebook & patience. I also like to poke fun at the people who think going to CUR for an entire vacation is a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just little ole me with a (*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6217) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto Kelly, after the old KLM and ALM flights we have been seasoned in traveling to Bonaire. We do miss air Jamaica as that was the most convenient for us. Continental bailed us out when Delta didn't wait.
We we're so punchy by this point we can't remember the Continental flight, just glad to see the sun and feel the warmth of the island walking down the stairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6573) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a big fan of modern medicine. lol. I pop a zannie, put on the headphones, wrap my "nerd neck pillow" around my neck and it's all good!!!

Ruth that's hilarious about people vacationing in CUR. Made me lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just little ole me with a (*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6219) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 2:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Up all night, zannie..and V and oj right before...:) It's all good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #176) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Coping with getting to Bonaire? Simply the knowledge that we're going to be there is the great sustaining factor of weird flight schedules, overcrowded airports, uncomfortable planes, etc.

I think -- 12 hours flying (round trip) for 192 hours there, 128 of those hours with my flappy, cottage-cheesy, 70 year old ass basking on the beach, snorkeling, eating exquisite food, and wallowing in the delights of our favorite island.

BTW, we're off to Paris and the UK for 15 days in April and early May. We're witlessly excited to be there, and mortally dreading the process of getting there.

Flying now is the equivalent of going Greyhound fifty years ago except for one huge, positive difference -- flying is mercifully quick.

So shift into Zen mode...or drink...or take Prozac...or all three...or whatever... AND nil illigitimi non carborundum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jane (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 7:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you are flying Continental through Houston one way to reduce the aggro of a long layover is lunch or dinner at Pappadeaux. Decent to very good seafood, attentive service and a full bar. It is also in the international terminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1213) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pappadeaux has an oyster and shrimp po'boy that is darn good.
I've had way too many of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #150) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where are you people when we are flying to Bonaire? I know that it is the 0.5% no make that 2-3% of people that act out their annoyances while getting to Bonaire. Actually I am guilty of at least one that I can recall. It happened some years ago while we were catching a connecting flight on AA out of MIA. We arrived at the recommended time at the AA check-in counter and were among the few there waiting. The Staff arrived about 45 minutes before departure. A line of people formed behind us. The check-in passengers became a mob similar to 1970s teenagers trying to get tickets for a Jethro Tull Concert. They squeezed us against the counter. We could hardly breath. I was thinking "Fire in the Firesign Theater". When we finally popped out of the mayhem with boarding passes in hand we tried to rush through security. I was carrying a wheel of gouda from Warehouse Grocery. I tried my reporte of humor by calling myself "The Big Cheese" while jamming to RHCP Californication on CD. Not effective. They took their obligatory time to swipe for explosives as they had from Flamingo on. When completed and cleared, we had minutes to board. In transit, that is when I had my annoyance meltdown of this century and the last. If you are reading: I am sorry three most south NY borough ladies with self inflicted trout pout. I didn't mean it. The gouda made me do it. From that time on, I believe in gouda. I only eat it while vacationing on bonaire. Stay away. It really is mass gluttony.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17199) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This thread made me smile..I've had many adventures...and wouldn't trade a single one!

ALM - JFK - Haiti - Bonaire...stranded in Haiti for 2 days.
Flying from Caracas with a man holding a chicken on his lap (thank god it was still alive..I think) and strumming his guitar the whole way.
A very sweet lady from NYC who had never flown before going to Bon for the first time when she was 70 (she invited me to her house for Thanksgiving because she said I was so kind to her!)
And the psychic sitting next to me telling me she "had a bad feeling about this flight" right before we had to make an emergency landing in St. Maartin.

Life is and adventure and unless someone causes me physical harm I can get over it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #278) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just pop a couple of Xanax or Valium (or both) and nothing will bother you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #464) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pappadeux and the Continental President's Club....no Xanax needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #152) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 1:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I could ask one of the MDs that I work with or personal doctor to get sedation for the travels. As a nurse for 26+ years, I feel compelled to never be one of those people who cross the line (determined by a real diagnosis). Dr Jack and more humor is what I use. Thank all of you for using our convenient kiosks though! Because when you are part of my 4.5 hour family getting to Bonaire and you are happy; I am happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amen. Life is full of diversions and diversity. For some, they are "annoyances" and for others they are "adventures" and for still others, they just "are."

We cannot control most of what happens to us. We can control how we react to what happens to us. No event is annoying unless we allow ourselves to be annoyed by it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #188) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhh - ALM. Our first trip to BON was while ALM was on strike - but, of course, United didn't bother to tell us. We finally found out in Miami.

We ended up in CUR and flew in with the UPS packages. Those were the days!!

Bea (and Marvin)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just little ole me with a (*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6224) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Haiti... ALM never told us this was a stop over...we wondered why it took so long to get fro Miami to Bonaire! Phili to Miami to Haiti to curaçao to Bonaire .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #124) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 1:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with you, KOB and Jeff. My vacation starts when I step out my back door because it's all attitude. And my attitude is - a bad trip to Bonaire is still better than a good trip to most other places. My strategies are to give myself plenty of time, and to pamper myself by bringing a good book, bringing great snacks, wearing comfortable clothes, and packing my carry-on to cope with the unexpected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve S (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great thread. I'll be sure to mentally prepare for the flights. See you on Continental. I'll be the 6'7" 280 lb guy stuffed into the seat next to you with a smile on my face. Sorry about that. Hopefully you'll be smiling too. No doubt I'll be a lot more uncomfortable than you. I think I need to visit the doc for some xanax. Sounds like a good idea. Hope I don't snore too loudly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Gray (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

6 years ago, when our direct flight from St. Louis to Puerto Rico was cancelled and redirected us to Chicago in January and naturally our flight in Chicago got delayed due to believe it or not...SNOW, to the point that we were surely going to miss the flight out of PR. Lucky for us (not so much for the ones waiting in PR) they held the plane so we arrived in BON as originally planned. Too bad our luggage didn't. My father-in-law coined our vacation motto - The Joys of Traveling. I learned many things from that experience: balk at being redirected to Chicago in Winter :) Pack essentials in the carry-on (listed in above post, except we added booties and mask)and smile, smile, smile. Bonaire is worth every minute of The Joys of Traveling :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17202) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh did I mention hubbies luggage showed up a day before he left on our most recent trip. Ruth offered to pilfer some clothes from her hubbies closet but we had more fun buying him a new wardrobe at Bonaire Superstore! We got Dolce and Gabbana shirts for 15Fl.! hahahahha

I will admit the only thing that really grosses me out is when someone is obviously sick and coughs and sneezes without any effort to shield it or the kid sitting behind me kicking my seat while the parent says nothing. I don't mind snoring and I can even handle crying kids or the guy sitting next to me and falling asleep with his head on my shoulder...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3396) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've also found that home made brownies seems to work for me too! Ummmmmmm.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #30487) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why I did not go to Bon this year.
Cost of flight PP...$1,200.00.
Be at the airport at 2:00 AM Depart Boston at 5:30 AM. Miami to Cur to Bon, av at 3:20 PM.

This was the only way to get to Bon for us with the dates we had open. House cost went up, car, yep, +$'s diving + Food... est bill for ten days, $6K+. Sorry...that's just dumb.

Vince, any brownies left?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #153) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 3:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve:
We all come in different shapes and sizes. These types of differing accommodating factors have never been a source of annoyance for me. Good etiquette keeps me feeling stable. I personally do not feel that sitting next to a larger size person who might snore on a flight is displaying bad etiquette. You are just getting through it like I am. If you are sitting in front of me, please know that you may recline your seat. If you are sitting in the seat next to me, I will be just fine with that. If you are sitting behind me, please do not purposely kick the back of mine. If you piss me off and I have a meltdown (which is really not me) I do not think that I would survive your right hook. It's all good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3398) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 8:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry...Hmmmm.. Only so much that brownies can do no matter how excellent the ingredients are. Between you & me, I don't even think a copious consumption of them would solve that dilemma!
Sorry you're not going to make it down this year. :(

I would have thought it might have been a bit more economical to take a train down to NYC & then connect to Newark for the red eye. I believe the costs running about $550 RT, unless you're traveling presidents week where they really jack the rates up. That's the prime reason we're leaving a bit later this year. The extra grand is better off in my pocket than in Continental's coffers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #151) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's not so much the other passengers on the plane that annoy us as it is the TSA people that are rude & unfriendly. Not all of them are this way, the TSA staff in Houston and in Bonaire are pretty friendly compared to the ones we have in Detroit. Of course this trip there was one lady (Houston), short & stout, that must have been a retired Marine sargent, she was screaming & yelling at people & getting annoyed because when she screamed sir or ma'am at hundreds of people standing in line we couldn't figure out which sir or ma'am she was talking too! I realize that they deal with A LOT of foolish folks, but if they can't at least be respectful then they need to look for another job. And you can't even defend yourself to them or you might end up in jail!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve S (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 10:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick - you don't have to worry about me kicking your seat back. I couldn't move enough to do it even if I wanted to! If I snore, my wife will put a stop to that (nicely). I do get paranoid about bumping the seat in front of me with my knees. I'm actually probably too self conscious about my size in planes, theaters, etc. As a result, I think I'm a pretty good neighbor on planes. I wish everyone else could be the same. Last month on a flight the people behind me put a baby seat in backwards so I couldn't recline at all. The flight attendant offered to make them move it, and I said it was fine. For the most part I'm so uncomfortable on any flight that it really didn't matter. That baby was amazingly happy and quite. And the flight attendant gave me special attention and perks. Good karma comes back to you. Hope it lasts for the Bonaire flight Feb 25. I'll be way in the back of the bus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1543) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 4:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

(NOT AIMED AT THE OP who obviously has found their own way of looking at things in a positive light.)

How about this. Try flying across the world in a C-130 packed so full of people (sitting on center facing web seats that don't recline and have vertical backs) that you literally interlock your knees with the person sitting across from, and facing, you. This trip takes 4 days during which you get minimal sleep between flights.

When you finally arrive at your destination you are warmly welcomed by a helmeted and jacketed troop who hands you a shovel and hammer so you can begin building your little slice of heaven in the sand, called a tent, which you will share with 11 other people for the next 6 months.

And then the real fun starts cuz all the natives want to kill you!

I'll take that ticket on Continental to Bonaire and all the joyful annoyances that come with it. The seats are small so that the price you pay is affordable. Sometimes the people you get to put up with aren't exactly "cultured" because the fares allow uncultured people to go on vacation too.

Buy a jet, pay a pilot. Off soap box.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd H (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #633) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well said .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #468) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay...I regret posting about how "ok" Continental is. Our red-eye flight on Friday night was THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE FLIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF MAN. Seriously, I believe CO might purposely find the worst plane in their fleet to assign to this flight. It SUCKED. Cramped, cardboard seats and the craziest seatmates ever encountered.

That being said, Bonaire is fabulous and I've totally forgotten how trying the flight down was. And isn't that what vacation is all about? Enjoying the time on island?

I'm going to have a Polar and enjoy the evening breezes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1593) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 7:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How do I deal with the annoyance of getting to Bonaire? GIN!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. Patch (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ordinarily I don't mind security pat-downs, but when the TSA lady told me to turn my head and cough, I thought it was going too far.

Seriously, though, atheists will have to admit that the church is right: You can't get to heaven without going through purgatory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 11:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Papadeaux helps take the edge off, but if you take the later CO flight out of LAX, they (and all other food service) will be closed in the CO terminal.

If you can upgrade to first class, that really takes the edge off the CO redeye!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 11:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eric: Thank you for serving. My gratitude can never be enough. I will say; however, I have encountered people without culture in first class as well (I rarely get to fly first class). On a trip from Newark to Tel Aviv there was a self entitled women who insisted that the first class cabin have the lights off and all dvds turned off. She was ready to sleep. After screaming and throwing things at the flight crew, she stopped. Only after being told that if she continued; she would be restrained. Definitely not cultured. I really do agree; however, that the pains of getting to Bonaire are worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3404) on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 7:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The most uncomfortable flight in the history of man? Hmmm.. Liz I can recollect some Air Jamaica flights that can give you a run for the money in that department.

Yes indeed, the Continental red eye. I've got something to look forward to next month. Which is why in addition to "better living through chemistry" on these flights, I also advocate longer stays on Bonaire. ;)

**Eric** Your posting does put this in perspective..However the difference is we are all paying good money for "the experience".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1546) on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 12:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick, I couldn't agree more. I'm not just military, I'm a front ender on a commercial airline. So believe me when I say that culture doesn't know one side of the curtain from the other.

Vince. I was careful to point out the reasons that there were inconveniences despite the fact that people pay for the experience. I would say that "good money" is probably incorrect though. That's why I added the "Buy a jet" line at the end. That's good money and that's where you will find and end of inconvenience. And I'd say the boys on the C-130 are paying with something a lot more precious than money.

I'll end by saying I'm not blind. I've been frustrated before by things I've seen commuting on my and other airlines. But when I hear people crying about small seats or no peanuts, I just have to shake my head. Airlines run on a razor thin profit margin (over the long term) so it's not like some fat cat is raking in the dough by making your seat narrow. He's trying to pay for gas and keep your fare at a rate you are willing to pay.

JMEHO,

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna M. Leiss (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If there are two of you travelling together, try booking the aisle and window seats. About 50% of the time, the seat in the middle will be vacant, and then you can spread out. Our flight down to Houston on 1/7 was jampacked, but the flight on to Bonaire had lots of empty seats, including the one between us. Flight back to Houston on the 22nd was full, but the flight from Houston to Boston was only 2/3s full. Lots of empty rows. And speaking of your fellow travellers being sick--the person in the row with our friends (travelling and staying with us) coughed/hacked/snorked the whole way on the Houston/Bonaire leg. Consequence: all 4 of us came down with colds, 1 after the other. But we just soldiered on. Nothing like sunshine and warm salt water to speed up the cure. Along with plenty of rum punch...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deb Gunther (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you have a long layover, sometimes you can buy airline President's Lounge tickets on EBay at a good discount. Our 8-hour layover in Houston on 1/15 was really nice: free drinks, modest snacks, and a front row seat for the Packer's game on TV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sailor (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Deb~ I'm a daily reader of this Board with 15+ trips to Bonaire. I'm not really much of a poster, but I just had to respond to your post.

You may be new to this Board, but I sure do like the way you think! I LOVE reframing the negative into positive!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration