BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Continental from Houston to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Continental from Houston to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Golden (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 7:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always have quite an adventure getting to Bonaire from the Pacific NW. Last July I made reservations on United (using miles, that's why so early) from home to Denver and then Denver to Houston, in order to catch the 11:59 Continental flight from Houston to Bonaire on Sunday night. Just checked my reservation (for no reason really...just a feeling?)and found that the Continental flight from Houston now leaves at 11:59 on Saturday night. AND United stopped the Denver/Houston/Denver flights we were confirmed on and didn't bother putting us on any other flights. Just spent an hour with a United agent who was able to get us to Bonaire in relatively the same way only one day earlier. However, we now can't get home on the same day and must overnight in Houston. And that means more baggage fees & a hotel (which United may or may not pick up.) Not the end of the world, I know, but my bottom line is if you booked the Sunday night flight out of Houston a while ago, it is now a Saturday night flight and your connections may be messed up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #156) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 8:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kathy:
I was not aware that Continental ever had a Sunday night flight out of Houston. We often fly DEN-Iah-Bon. Maybe the original reservation through United or Continental was wrong on the reservation system's to begin with or I am wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17204) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 9:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Its always been Saturday night but it may have come up Sunday since it leaves at nearly midnight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Golden (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 3:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since this is the first time we've used United/Continental through Houston to get to Bonaire (AA thru PR was a little easier) I left it up to the airlines to get us there according to their schedules. So Patrick, you're probably right, their systems probably screwed up to begin with and I just went along with it! The original itinerary had all flights departing on Sunday March 6, even the one at 11:59 p.m. Maybe they figured since we were using miles and not really paying.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Kathy -- I remember those American Eagle flights from SJU to BON! Makes me love that Continental red-eye out of Houston all that much more...

Glad everything is working out with your flight. Aren't you glad you checked, for whatever reason!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff,
all perspective, I remember SJU and american and miss it compared to the red eye. For me on the east coast I'd take the American SJU anytime over continental. Never had an issue with American, just had to get use to long layover at SJU but that beats trying to sleep on short red eye for me.
Also had stuff stolen from my luggage on Red eye but that was from Newark not Houston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Golden (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 5:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob: I got used to the PR layover in our plans, even though it meant starting our travels (which included 4 planes!) at 7:30 p.m. and arriving in Bonaire at 8:30 p.m. the following day! Liked being able to just fall into bed, sleep and be ready to play the next morning. First red-eye we took was two years ago out of Newark, had a long lay-over there but I guess not long enough for one bag to make the switch between airlines. Seems they do better with 1 hour to spare than 8! And Jeff, I certainly am glad I checked...a good thing to always do, esp. if plans are made so far in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #162) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My memory of our last flight on AA to Bon was that ticket holding passengers were denied boarding in PR. The reason: their was already too much in cargo wt. The passengers in the front of the plane were asked to take up seating in the back of the plane during takeoff and landing. While I suppose that it could still happen flying the other carriers, it has not occurred on Delta or Continental for all of our flights. That flight on AA was also delayed for an hour due to them not being able to find all of the flight crew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 10:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You're right, Bob, it is a matter of perspective. I live in northeast Ohio (aka "the north coast";))and when Continental had a non-stop from Cleveland to San Juan, we had probably our best accessibility to Bonaire ever. That flight from SJU to BON was a white-knuckler for me, though. I always wondered when the rubber bands were going to break. As full as that flight tended to be, I was surprised that AA pulled it from their schedule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1893) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 12:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

i remember being told there was too much weight on plane and wait and see situation. long layovers and didn't matter if u had reservations or not. hated that place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #207) on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff,
admit I was shocked AA stopped flying to Bonaire as flights always seemed to be pretty full. Used them 10 times with out a major problem except for long layovers. Not perfect but am not a fan of short red eyes. The continental red eye flight I took out of Newark was 12 hours late and someone stole my watch out of my checked luggage.
Having said that I am thinking about a return engagement this summer.
You have to do what you have to do :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #131) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That PR TO BON flight on AE was a complete mess!

2 out of three trips our luggage didnt arrive until the next days flight, a huge waste of a perfectly good dive day...i love CO out of IHE ,....never any issues at all!
Well, once we left a few hours late, but it was weather related..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration