BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Insell air and pets
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Insell air and pets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #203) on Saturday, January 8, 2011 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone used Insellair from Miami to Bonaire with their pets in the cabin? We are coming in August & want to bring our 4 fur babies (cats) with us but don't want to put them in the cargo compartment we'd even buy extra seats f that would allow the whole family to travel at the same time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy - 'Rayman' (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3965) on Saturday, January 8, 2011 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dennis & Patti

See Para 8.9 of Insel Air General Conditions from their website

hopefully someone who has actually transported animals can help you further

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #204) on Saturday, January 8, 2011 - 4:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ray! That was helpful, to find that site. Now at least we know pets can be carried on- still don't know if they'll let us take 2 each or if we can buy 2 seats each to accommodate this kitty issue- I called reservations yesterday, waited 20 minutes, was told by clerk no pets were allowed in cabin. When I told her customer service had already emailed me that was ok but I needed clarification on the two ticket thing, she wanted to know who had emailed me- I don't speak Papiamento and although I called the US number listed the language barrier made it impossible for me to communicate-so I still don't know if 2 seats will buy us 4 kitty spaces under the seats or not. The clerk kept telling me to find out at the desk when leaving. I explained we had to plan this in advance and was currently 12 hours drive from Miami-still no go and no service and no answers-maybe someone out there can help clarify so we can make this possible-

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #147) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dennis & Patti

We were supposed to fly Insel from Miami this past December & we ended up canceling that portion of our trip & flying to Houston & picking up the Continental flight from there. The reason for this is that I was told by Insel (and it states that in the rules Roy sent to you)that the ultimate decision is up to the captain and/or flight crew. So just because they allow you to make a reservation does not mean that you have a guarantee that your pet will be allowed in the cabin. Most airlines also limit the pets to one per passenger and the total amount of pets per flight is limited too. So I would make real sure that they understand that you have 4 pets. The link I'm sending below is from an earlier discussion on this. You may want to send Rich an email because the last time I spoke with him he had made his reservation so he may be able to tell you how it went & how he did it. He told me he sent emails to daily until they responded.

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/29/434711.html?1281110510

The name I got from Michael Gaynor for Insel was Nicole Berenos. Her email address is berenosn@fly-inselair.com. This is the person that Rich & I were dealing with.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Trish-we're into week 3 with Insel. Finally got reply from Camille Brown, Supervisor in Curacao- all she did was cut and paste the rules! Did not answer the big question- can we buy 2 tickets each to carry 4 kitties under seats?? It's hard to believe their seeming lack of direct response.-- I'll try Michael's contact next -anything Michael touches usually works! Also read the thread you sent- I have allergies and am in love with Zysal (generation 2 of Zyrtec) and I sure hope That fellow is faring well with his allergies and on a different flight so we don't endanger his life with our furkids. Cargo is not an option for the babies, though I'd like to see some humans shoved in there...in the dark, with roaring noise, all alone.. You know there are only 2 kinds of people in the world-animal and non- animal so we're used to that. Anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #481) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 8:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

are you coming to Bonaire to live and this is a move? or for a very extended time? .. otherwise .. i myself would not do it...i too love my little furballs but it is very iffy to transport them.. and be sure the papers are in order ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #148) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sadly, I'm not surprised about the 3 weeks & still no definitive answer. Makes you wonder if you do get an answer will you be told something different as you try to board the plane. Hoping Nicole will be able to give you the answers, keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Keep us posted on your progress.

ITA with putting some people in the cargo hold...LOL ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not to digress from the actual question but I am surprised that any airline would allow it. All it takes is one cat allergy on board and the airline will have their hands full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #141) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 10:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine:
While I can appreciate the situation of one's preexisting conditions: Welcome to the age that we live in; with exposure to many things from across the world. I have worked professionally with people who have severe allergies and also those with reduced immunity. While I have never taken a pet with me on vacation, I am aware of many exposures to my patients who were set off by perfume, peanuts, tobacco residue on someone's clothing, pet dander on the clothing of a pet owner, the soap that someone is using, common bacteria and virus etc.... I know that anyone with preexisting conditions should travel with a plan based on their Physician's advice. To expect the world of public transportation to police this is IMPO/IMHO is asking the world to change for the patient, while really it is the patient's responsibility to adapt to the environment around them. What you suggest is a slippery slope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #902) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 10:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine
I'm with you on this one. Allergies can be unpredictable. To get on public transportation and find that you are sitting beside cats when you have any kind of allergy problem could be pretty unnerving, and for some people life threatening.
Oh, I myself do not have any problems.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #206) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 11:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi guys! Interesting thread. First, Pietri, we used on live on Bonaire and yes, we are always concerned about limited ( though sincere and caring) vet care, supplies, equipment, etc. We always took light jets for the babies' sake but are trying, once again, to attempt commercial and again finding out how hard it is to keep them safe. I also worry about the 8,000' elevation adaptation in the cabin now that they are older. Love to live back on island but until medical and veterinary care is more than just adequate it is a huge concern- although I must say the time I spent in hospital there nothing bad happened to me- can't say the same in the US- if he wonderful nurses I'd be a goner!- nurses like Patrick I'll bet- thanks so much for your words Patrick-you are sooo right! Anyway, another update on Insel- again the Cust service rep says cats in carriers ok but only upon final approval of pilot- when I ask how and when this can be achieved other than at last moment ,no reply..yet. Still plugging away- called American (AA) (to try to fly into Curacao then Bon)today- much more reasonable communication but apparently one person cannot buy 2 seats just to bring extra cat carrier- perhaps fallout of terrorism policies- luggage rule or some such nonsense. And the beat goes on, those little jets are looking better every day-no hassle, quiet, kitties on laps-credit card here we come..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #207) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trish-thanks for the good wishes! Traveling is hard enough without all the other worries. I always say there's a fortune to be made for some investor who starts a truly petfriendly little airline. And yes, some anti-pet humans might fit nicely into cargo (sans catnip or wine) -we could call it empathy/sensitivity training perhaps...don't get me started on animal cruelty and all that-been fighting it all my life, like many others..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick,

When I mentioned "hands full" in my post - I meant not only the medical issues involved but the liability as well.

Animals on aircraft in the main cabin does indeed create a slippery slope. Where does it stop? 4 cats....or 3 dogs...or 2 pigs...or a partridge in a pear tree? Slippery slope - I completely agree.

A quick analogy. No on-street parking is allowed in a subdivision. Why? Not because one or two cars on the street cause a problem but because a car from every homeowner in the street would. Obviously not every homeowner would put a car in the street nor would every commuter fly with a pet but I hope you see the point.

I guess this puts me in the anti-pet human category. Oh well...Ive been called worse.

I'll let it go from here. Off to sharpen my lionfish weaponry...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #149) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bravo Patrick, excellent post!

Antoine - what about the people who have severe allergies to scents? Should the airlines tell all passengers not to wear perfume, aftershave, deodorant, lotion, etc? The airlines stopped serving peanuts, however, IMO, it was to save money rather than a concern for people with nut allergies because they don't stop passengers from bringing their own bag of nuts on the plane & eating them. Really, where do you draw the line? My niece is not allergic to animals but is very allergic to anything scented, and she has major heart problems. Yes, she does fly & she makes sure she has the proper medication to combat her allergies.

Patrick said it perfectly: "asking the world to change for the patient, while really it is the patient's responsibility to adapt to the environment around them"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #384) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 11:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trish -- agree completely, except for one minor point ... I had peanuts on my flights to/from BON in September (Delta). Enjoyed them thoroughly !! (No, I was not in first class, only coach).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You guys are kidding right?

May I ask where the line for animals is drawn then?

At what point does the pilot say, "you know...the parrot can ride with us but the orangutan has to wait for the 6:30 flight."

You're comparing perfumes and peanuts to animals??????

This isnt Indiana Jones and Bangladesh Airways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #387) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine -- I think there's some mis-communication here. Maybe I am completely wrong, but I was supporting the idea that people need to take personal responsibility for their travel plans, including being prepared for other travelers eating peanuts, wearing perfume, whatever.

I do not believe that there should be an expectation that the airline (or anyone else, for that matter) is responsible for our individual idiosyncracies or circumstances. We are. The airlines sell a product, just like any other merchant. If someone doesn't like it, they have other choices.

In my bleary-eyed morning haze, did I miss something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Im just saying that animals have a place on a aircraft and its in cargo. This is due to a variety of reasons. I listed allergies as a main one.

I see several people argue the point against me but apparently there are some that agree with me, that being the airlines.

I think there might have been a miscommunication as perhaps those arguing against me are only arguing the point allergy point??

I for one hope Dennis and Patti open "Noahs Ark Airways" and then I never have to worry about the issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #388) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine -- well, I do agree with you. I don't want animals beside me on an airplane, but understand the point of view of those who do.

Having said that, my point was that if some airlines make a business decision to allow pets in the cabin, that's their choice and anyone who doesn't want to deal with that can vote with their ticket purchases. Peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #150) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 2:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Antoine - there are lines drawn by the airlines for in-cabin pets. The carrier has to fit under the seat, you cannot remove the animal from the carrier during the flight, they limit the number of in-cabin pets per flight (I think Continental is 5) & only allow 1 pet per passenger. And why wouldn't we be comparing animals to perfume & peanuts? An allergy is an allergy no matter what brings it on. In your original post you stated you were surprised the airlines would allow animals because "all it would take is one cat allergy on board & they would have their hands full" so I took that to mean your concern was allergies. Unless, like KOB, I missed something too.

KOB: You got peanuts?????? We haven't gotten them in a long time, usually pretzels if they give you anything at all. We used to get a little sub from Continental on our way to Houston & then from Bonaire to Houston they would give us cereal, a muffin & fruit. But we just got back last Sunday & they gave us nothing this time, just beverages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #389) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trish -- yes, ma'am. Choice between little bags of peanuts, pretzels or biscotti wafers. I think it's a Delta thing. Being based in Georgia, where peanut farming is big biz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #208) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Final word on the animal thing: I can only feel compassion for anyone who can depersonalize animals cause I know it's only a short step between that and distancing from humans-I can only wish that someday they are blessed with having a warm fuzzy creature find it's way into their lives so they can finally find that link..and yes, peace

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Matthew White (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #143) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dennis and Patti: I hope that you receive an answer soon regarding your travel plans. This discussion has turned into a whole different topic and really deserves it's own new post: "How do you deal with the annoyances of flying to Bonaire?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6203) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, for crying out loud..if that guy doesn't like your cats, have your seat changed and come sit by me, but I'm gonna want to pet them....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #209) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barb- thanks a bunch! (from all six of us)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration