BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Traveling Tuesday to Bonaire-packing
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Traveling Tuesday to Bonaire-packing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Watford on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife Kim, and I will be flying from Miami to Bonaire on Tuesday on Air Jamaica. We are trying to plan our packing so that we can carry on most, if not all of our dive gear. We haven't made the trip since right before Lenny and I'm sure things have changed since 9/11. I have done plenty of flying since then, but not with AJ. We looked at their website for luggage info, but it doesn't appear any different than it was before. They used to be pretty laid back about oversized luggage. I brought my big roll-along dive bag onboard and stuffed it in an overhead bin. I got a few looks, but nobody said anything. We usually each carry a pelican camera case(purse) and a dive bag and never had a problem. We only checked our clothes, didn't care if they lost them. Anyway, any tips or recent experience would be appreciated. Only 4 days from now I hope to -80 ft msl. Can't wait, it's been way to long.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 7:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, I can't speak as to how AJ is about carry-ons but since Sept 11 we have found it easier to do less carry-on. It just has seemed easier and faster should your bag be the one that security decides to hand inspect. With that said, we did make sure that when we went to Bonaire in April the only thing other than clothes that we checked through was our fins and wetsuits. I like my mask way too much to deal with a rental til my luggage shows up! Have a great trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marion Korschilgen on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 11:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, are you sure about the date?
Air Jamaica comes here only on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Watford on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marion,
You are right of course. We drive to Miami tomorrow and fly on to Bonaire on Wednesday. We are paranoid about checking our dive gear and always try to carry all that we can. I guess I like "MY" stuff. I know that we could always get rentals if we had too, but obviously would prefer to have our own. The cameras are what we don't like to turn loose of mostly. The AJ website says that you should always carry your valuables and camera equipment on your person, so that's what we try to do.

Either way, we should be there Wednesday and ready to be in the water upon arrival We are at Buddy this trip, having always stayed at SandDollar before, so it will be a little different. We are also recently nitrox certified,(I know that we are a little slow) so that will be new to us as well.

Anyway, back to packing. I'm sure the worst part of it all will be Miami Intl, it always is. But we'll be there soon.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration