BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Flying Air Jamaica Through Montego Bay
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Flying Air Jamaica Through Montego Bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anna Roberts on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are going to Bonaire in August (for first time). Flying from Houston to Bonaire on Air Jamaica, the change of planes in Montego Bay only allows 45 minutes. Has anyone had experience with this? A 45 minute connection seems pretty tight!
Anna.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Lambert on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 2:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We did the exact same flight in February. We left Houston on time but still arrived in Montego Bay about 15 minutes late because we had to circle the airport to allow other traffic to land before us. Even with that delay, we had no problem. And all our luggage arrived, too. I actually saw them load our luggage through the window on the plane. Make sure the Air Jamaica counter in Houston tags your luggage for your final destination of Bonaire. They should also put fluorescent green tags on your bags that lets the luggage guys in Jamaica know your bags are going on a connecting flight. Also, it is not uncommon for Air Jamaica to hold the connecting plane for late arrivals. I wouldn't worry about it. I think Air Jamaica is the best airline serving Bonaire at this point in time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anna we fly Air Jamaica now since they started service to Bonaire. We go twice a year...the connection does sound rather short but I believe they wait for the plane..our ONLY problem was the loss of luggage on one flight. At the ticket counter when checking your luggage make sure all tags say Bonaire as final destination......Have a great time......!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan R. on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My recent AJ experience:

4/17/02: AJ flight leaving Atlanta ran late, and was very concerned about the short connection in MB, but not to worry it was also running behind. Ended up getting to BON two hours late.

4/24/02: AJ leaving Bon ran 30+ mins. late causing us to miss the MB connection. They did not hold the plane, this time. AJ set us up at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort for the night and booked us on the 11:40 flight the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Morgan on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just returned from Bonaire.... missing it already. Anyway, flew Air Jamaica for the first time. Left Monday, May 20 at 7am from Houston, arrived in Bonaire by 2:30. The connection in Montego Bay was very quick -- disembarked one plane, moved down one gate, and entered our new plane. All luggage made the move as well. I really enjoyed getting to Bonaire in the middle of the afternoon. And NOT going thru Miami is a BIG bonus!

The return flight on Monday, May 27, left at 3pm so I was able to enjoy a full day of diving before leaving. And my dive gear truly dried before packing! The return flight was just as smooth. However, there was stormy weather in the US and several Air Jamaica flights were delayed as a result. So we walked around the airport some, did a little shopping, ate a TCBY yougart, and caught the plane 1-1/2 hrs later. Again, all luggage made the connections and arrived back in Houston with me.

All in all, Air Jamaica was a good deal for me. I significantly cut down my travel time from 14 hrs to 8, my stop-overs from 3 to 2, and made my 8 day trip seem longer. I definately will check into Air Jamaica again on my next trip to Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ana C on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You guys comfort me... I'm leaving for Bonaire on 6/12 from Newark, and I was VERY concerned after talking to our local dive shop.
They ran a trip to the Plaza this past April, and their return flight was CANCELLED by AJ, they were routed to Miami instead, then the AJ folks there would not come out of a locked office to help - I guess they were hiding?. Somehow they managed to get back to Newark via Charlotte NC.
Here's hoping my trip is uneventful!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration