BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA and San Juan Airport
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: AA and San Juan Airport
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Theodore A Gottfried on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 2:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are coming to Bonaire 6-7-02 and leaving 6-15-02 on American Airlines. What is the best way to get through the San Juan Airport and deal with the early morning flight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Lambert on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fly Air Jamaica :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Theodore,

When departing on AA, make sure to get to the Bonaire airport by 4-4:15am to prevent being bumped (American has been overselling the flights). Also make sure you have at least 1.5-2 hours to change flights in San Juan on the way up because you have to clear immigration and customs there (saving you time not having to do that in the U.S., of course).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greg, although I'd love to fly AJ, AA is generally the only option --- unless we want to do an overnight at an AJ gateway city (in each direction). You people who can do AJ make me jealous, but don't assume it's the best for everyone. I wish it was...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan markus on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have gone thru SJ three times in the last 6 months with only 1hr and 20 minutes between flights. Have had no problem making it for any of them (including one that US customs had us put our luggage thru their XRay machine).
The reason for the early arrival at the Bonaire airport is security opens and pokes through ALL checked AA luggage prior to check in (but not on AJ or DCE). Getting their at 4:30 is probably the best bet.
I agree with you on AJ - wish we could do it, but we live in Cleveland and can't make the connection without an overnite. With AA we can do it in one day each way.
Also heard AA may add additional flights on the Weekends - so maybe they will leave later than 6:10 AM. (and seeing is believing on that one)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I plan to go to Curacao for 24+ hours to catch my return flight on AA, rather than dealing with the middle of the night hanging around the Bonaire airport. The last day of vacation is a good opportunity to check out Curacao topside for those who have never been there. the CUR flight leaves around 2 pm, a more agreeable time for many folks. The trade off for a restful night of sleep is the cost of the ferry or flight to Curacao. Well worth it, to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi, that's an interesting idea. Let us know how it goes. Definitely worth considering. Is there a cost difference on AA if you fly into BON, but out of CUR?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

josie- i'm using frequent flyer miles, so there is no charge. however, i believe that it is the same price for a purchased ticket too.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration