BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Help--I bought a bottle of Scotch and want to mail it to Bonaire--but post office and UPS says you can't mail alcohol!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Help--I bought a bottle of Scotch and want to mail it to Bonaire--but post office and UPS says you can't mail alcohol!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan G on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
I live in the United States and i wanted to send my friends who live in Bonaire a bottle of Scotch.

But the post office and also UPS said that you can't mail alcohol. Does anyone have any ideas how I can mail this package?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 10:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check with Jake, he mentioned in some thread that unless it is a 'need it now' item, he has a freight forwarder in Miami accumulate things and then ship a crate full down. He might be willing to let you add your bottle to his shipment in return for adding a bottle of his favorite cheer.

Or you might find someone in your area who is going down soon and is willing to carry it down for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 10:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, freight forwarders can ship alcohol. I work for one and we ship for several distillers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 11:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,,,where do you live...maybe someone can bring it for you,,,,,we go in 22 days....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cut a deal with somebody on this site and have them deliver it for you.... I take stuff to Bonaire all the time...including substantial quantities of alchohol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Or, if it is not a special brand, perhaps someone on BT would buy it on Bonaire for you and deliver it there. Then only the money needs to be 'sent'. Lots of scotch on the island!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sending it via a freight forwarder would be a very expensive proposition for only one package. Glen's & Meryl's suggestions are the best...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 12:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, sounds like a good excuse to go back to Bonaire and hand deliver it yourself!! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good as anything thing else!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, you cann't mail acohol thru the USPS.Definately not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan G on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
Thank you all for writing. I live in Northern Virginia. When I was in Bonaire, I checked in Bonimex Liquor Store and they don't sell the alcohol there. It is Johnny Walker Blue Label and it cost me $180 in the US.

But I have already bought it and I don't think I can return it to the store in the US.

Well, I haven't tried Federal Express, Airborne or DHL. Maybe i'll have more luck with them.

By the way, how 'bad' would it be to misrepresent the contents of the package on the customs label? Just wondering...
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 7:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If they catch you, it can be very expensive. DHL and Airborne can both act as freight forwarders and should be able to ship the JW for you. Let your fingers do the walking for you and if they won't ship liquor for you ask them for the name of a company that will ship to Bonaire - mention Aruba or Curacao as an 'leg' so they will have a name they recognize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 8:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Misrepresentation in shipping could result in forfiture of the contents. There goes your Johnny Walker.NOT a good idea, especially nowadays. It's not taken lightly.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration