BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Question for recent trevelers.
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Question for recent trevelers.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone had any troubles packing dive knifes in checked baggage or is everyone leaving them home? I am leaving Saturday for Bonaire and as of yet have not decided whether to pack them or not.

Aquaman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I meant travelers, sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry I heard they were ok in checked baggage...But we don't have any so cannot speak from experience...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry,

We carried one small dive knife, a kitchen knife, swiss arm knife and a leatherman - which has all sorts of tools on it. In checked luggage, went via AA Washington DC - Miami - SJ - Bon. March -April of this year. NO problems in either direction.. Heard there were more last fall.
Lydia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can tell you that I couldn't get past security in San Juan (coming home) with a "multi-purpose" tool that I'd inadvertently left in my purse. No problems with it going down in checked baggage. Also, it got through the scanner on Bonaire (they only hand-searched the checked baggage). When my bag went through the scanner in SJ, it showed up, so they hand-searched and said I could mail it home to myself (more trouble than worth), or toss it, which is what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Clark on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I went to Bonaire the week after 911 and had no problems with dive knives in checked bags but had to remove all batteries from carry on luggage in Montigo Bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

dive knife in Bonaire? take a couple of cans of beer instead...you'll get more pleasure... I hauled a knife for years to Bonair then finally got smart and left it home.

I have taken multipurpose tools that contained knives and never had a problem (even after 911)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I understand that a dive knife is not an absolute necessary tool but I will still carry it as a just in case. Kind of like you never need your spare tire until you take it out of the back of the truck fo a little more space.

Aquaman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carolyn Matheson on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why not just get a pair of dive scissors? Sharp enough to set you free, safer than a knife, no problems getting them through! I had problems getting my dive knife through long before 9/11, thus the scissors! Don't look as "cool" but who cares??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hard to play Tarzan with scissors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry,
Just bang on your chest a few times--- to a scream and Sherry will be right by your side.. How many days__________!!! Have a great time!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

jan, we leave sat. morning. are about packed and ready to go. so excited!!!

dont know what day we will stop by the street cam, but probably more than once. hope someone can capture us on bt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry, I kind of like your first spelling - trevelers -- sort of like revelers and how cool is that -- Bonaire travellers and revelers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sherry& Barry,
Have a great time-- give hugs to Marion and Bijou-- I wish I could be there to see Bijou's face when you see them! Hope Barry gets in some fishing--- I'm with you-- rather be riding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 8:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

jan, will bring your good wishes to marion and bijou. will talk to you when i get back and give you the details and let you know if the surprise was a success. wish you were going to be on the island at the same time, we would have a blast riding together. you could come to colorado, i would take you on a mountain ride. sherry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wishes for a grand trip Sherry and Barry ! My love to all, I know Bejou will love the surprise. (And my husband thinks I'm cazy for the things I pack!!). Wish you could fit me into your suitcase too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sherry,
Hopefully someday!!!!! I will get out for a mountain ride--- Again have a blast!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

just so excited to leave tommorrow. :)

i will do a toast to all my BT friends while on bonaire - ok maybe several!!

talk to you later and barry and i will do a trip report when we are back.

sherry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 1:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sherry,

Are you guys flying AA or AJ?

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't see Sherry at her desk so I will answer. AA

Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i am here now, trying to concentrate on helping my lovely technicians fix massive troubles and i am amazed that i have been able to work!!

45 minutes to end of my shift. then we will shop for jake's burner thingy and head for home.

VACATION starts soon.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration