BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Airline Prices to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Airline Prices to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary J McClave on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been visiting Bonaire for about 8 years now and have another trip planned for this November. Been checking airline prices on the web and haven't found anything less than $700+ dollars. I travel from the Baltimore/Washington area and have not paid more than $550 in the past. Just curious if other people have found this to be the normal now. This won't have me canceling my trip, but it certainly is a jump in prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I booked, the AA airfares were 800/person. Air Jamaica was 575, if you're near one of their hubs, you might look into it. It also depends on when you're going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary J McClave on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary, we flew Air Jamaica last year for the first time and it was great! After many years of never knowing when we would arrive with ALM, it was the first time we ever arrived in Bonaire when it was still daylight. Baltimore is one Air Jamaica's hubs and the airfare for traveling Nov. 6th - 16th is $815. Looking at Air Jamaica's web site, all of Sept. and Oct. for travel Wednesday to Saturday for 10 days is $666. I remember seeing in a magazine that there is a photo shootout or something going on the week of Nov. 9th - 16th. Maybe that is why the prices are higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's interesting-I believe Caradonna tours said the $575 price was good through April 30th from Chicago. We've booked it already, so took advantage of what I thought was a pretty darn good deal.

I'm so happy to hear of positive experience. We've flown ALM twice and not had a problem, but it always made me nervous! And, I guess from what I've read, they're still a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lonnie hoover on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gary, air fares to Bonaire are up 20%-40%, and non-stop service is not available. Even direct service is very difficult and the departure times are ridiculous(ie AA from Bon to San Juan at 6am...who wants to end their vacation racing to the airport at 3:30am???). If you fly AA out of Miami to CUR and take DCA to Bon, you will have to claim bags in CUR and recheck them to BON, going and comming. What a miserable hassel! There are not many good options at this time for travel to Bonaire, and those that do exist are quite expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lonnie - I am amazed at the amount of abuse & indifference members of this board are willing to endure, just to dive Bonaire.
Let me count the ways: sky high airfares, miserable flight schedules, flights that leave without you even though you are at the airport on time, room theft, shore theft, restaurants that "accidentally" charge dollars instead of guilders, misrepresentation of lodging and subsequent arguments with landlords/managers over refunds. There is more, but why bother.
Even the swallows (not noted for their intelligence) knew when it was time to quit returning to Capistrano!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 4:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Those who are willing to endure know paradise lays ahead! And those who don't-- maybe they are not deserving enough to return!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Funny, I haven't had the abuse. Yes, the trip is long. We flew ALM twice, had no problem. This November, as I mentioned, we're going AJ. No theft problems, but I do take precautions, as I would in the states. Loved my accomodations, am staying in the same room as last time. Loved the restaurants.

Vacations are what you make of them. Although I find Bonaire much more efficient and modern than many islands, it isn't the States, and you have to adjust somewhat. I love this island, and am eagerly awaiting my 3rd trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You know, Mimi... maybe you should try Haiti? Then you'll at least be very likely to get the treatment you seem to assume you'll get.

Some of us have not had to ENDURE anything for our Bonaire vacations. Can you process the possibility that many of us get there, stay there, and come back happy and contentedly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Talla Skag on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi,
You seem to be a very intelligent person based upon the posts I've read. But it also seems you have some deep seated resentment of Bonaire. I have not been looking at this newsgroup that long so maybe I missed your reason.

What is it about Bonaire that causes you to post such caustic comments? You are obvioulsy smart so I assume there must be some reason for you taking your time to post. Did you have a bad experience? Where you the victim of crime? Where you cheated somehow? Do you still visit Bonaire?

You seem to know a lot about crime on bonaire. Maybe you can help me understand the problem better.
What is Bonaire's crime rate? It is rising? If it is rising, how fast? What percent of tourists are victims of violent crime? What percent of tourists are subject to room break-ins? What percent of tourists are subject to other non-violent crme?

How does the percentage of returning tourists compare to other popular vacation spots?

Please give me some more information. The caustic comments are amusing, but really not very helpful to those of us who are thinking about going to Bonaire someday.

Thanks,

Talla

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was a late bloomer for traveling and when I discovered the Caribbean it was my plan to go to a different island every year until I saw all of them. At least that was my plan untill I discovered Bonaire!!! I for one can't get back to Bonaire fast enough!!!! I get home from one trip and I am already trying to get a good deal for the next one. My goal is for twice a year and I would give anything to retire there. It is the only island that I have been to that I feel safe enough to go there without my husband.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 7:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh I forgot! We have never had any troubles with our flights there and we have always found good deals through Caradonna travel with Kim. The worse thing that happened to us was that one of our three suitcases didn't make it till the next day and that has happened to us going to another island as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 7:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

May one use Caradonna just for air or must one buy a package?? I have heard accolades for Caradonna..they have a super reputation as does Great Southern and Patty Hazen. My own little biz is really not to compete but try to get windsurf buds down there..and wow, is it a great spot.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I for one do not find the caustic comments amuzing, and I am sure other will agree. I too would like to know why most of someones comments have been so negative.It's like every chance you get, you just stick the knife in deeper. I for one, have experienced an attempt of forced entry into our unit on Bonaire while we were sleeping. And that certainly would give me the right to be negative about Bonaire. But I love what Boanire has to offer-- and this could have happened anywhere. ____ happens! -- it's time to get over what ever is bothering you. Pick up and move on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary J McClave on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone for your input/advice on air travel options. We did call Vicki at Caradonna and were able to get a better price than anything we'd been able to come up with on our own. Ann...Caradonna did inform us that they do not book only airfare. It had to be a package of some sort. We went for the airfare/rental car package. In the end we are probably paying about $100 more this year than last. We were able to get the same flights using Air Jamaica from BWI to Bonaire that we had last November. These departure and arrival times are definitely the best we've experienced since catching the Bonaire bug eight years or so ago. We knew we were in love with Bonaire when we continued to use ALM year after year with one bad experience after another. We'd sit in the airport at Miami and Bonaire and know that we'd be doing it again the next year regardless of how aggravating and tiresome the trip down and back home was. We personally have found something in Bonaire that will keep us coming back as long as we are physically able to make the trip. We've been to many islands in the Caribbean and like Darlene knew when we had found the one for us. It is definitely not for everyone but then no one place is.
Other than our first visit we've stayed at Carib Inn and are very serious when we tell Bruce that we need to include something in our Will so that if anything happens to us, someone will call and cancel our reservation. Otherwise we'll be going back to Carib Inn and Bonaire for as long as we can. We've never experienced any problems with theft at Carib Inn or at dive sites (but we follow everyone's advice about these things too). Thanks again for providing some insight to airfare options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 9:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why, why, why?? Must be the planets aligning again....why, why, why? If a person no longer "enjoys" traveling to a specific destination, why would they still "enjoy" visiting a web site built specifically around that destination? Rhetorical question only....no need to respond..as someone once said to me....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 9:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, you know, Mimi, if you are travelling to a popular tourist destination, there are many more ways to get there than to get to Bonaire. And in my limited experience, the better the diving, the more off the beaten path the location is, and the harder to get there.
Now all that said, we started using Air Jamaica last year and found them to be both quicker and cheaper than other airlines. From NYC we can get there in about six hours. And is we are delayed three hours? Well, we would not have gotten there faster on AA and we STILL don't have to go through Curacao. One stop.
Last time I came back from Europe we were not alowed off of the plane for three hours due to sick passengers. If you have serious travel issues, you may be too darn picky for exotic locales such as Bonaire. Or possibly you should restrict yourself to boat travel.
seb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, i will still dive Bonaire. But only when the fares & schedules are user-friendly. And I will only stay in lodging where there is an adequate room safe and a staff person on the premises 24 hours a day to deter room break-ins. I only do boat dives, so shore theft is not a personal issue. The rest of the annoying stuff, I can deal with but wish I didn't have to.
In the interim, there are so many other beautiful, user-friendly, islands to dive. I plan to dive them all, while Bonaire figures out what it wants to be when it grows up.
Travel to and from one's destination is difficult enough since 9/11. On principle, if nothing else, why give tourist dollars to those islands that are apathetic to their tourists concerns?
I believe the original appeal of Bonaire for divers was that it was inexpensive, easy to get to from the USA, and crime free. Times have changed. For the same or less money and travel time, you can now get to Fiji, Australia, and many other dive destinations that are a lot more user friendly than Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if the other destinatons have newsgroups? It should be interesting reading!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Talla Skag on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi,
Thanks for the post, but you did not answer my questions. Please help me understand Bonaire better. Everyone else seems so positive.

Did you have a bad experience? Where you the victim of crime? Where you cheated somehow?

You seem to know a lot about crime on bonaire. Maybe you can help me understand the problem better.
What is Bonaire's crime rate? It is rising? If it is rising, how fast? What percent of tourists are victims of violent crime? What percent of tourists are subject to room break-ins? What percent of tourists are subject to other non-violent crme?

How does the percentage of returning tourists compare to other popular vacation spots?

Thanks
Talla

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone used Priceline from BON to the US?? Or what has been the cheapest way to get from BON to the US?

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 1:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi,

Freedom of choice is the wonderful thing. We understand that you don't like travelling to Bonaire--you make it abundantly clear each week. We know your point of view, we respect your choice for yourself (if not your words in your constant postings)-- please respect ours as much and let's let each other be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

glen - i'm expressing an opinion, not dictating a law.

Talla - many of your questions have been answered elsewhere on the board. You will have to go thru the archives. For exact figures & percentages, you will need to contact the various tourism associations on the island. hope this helps you.

Michael - most islands that offer diving have chat boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lonnie hoover on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mimi, at the risk of being eviscerated by some of those faithful to this board and those who become prickly at the slightest notion of anything negative being said about Bonaire, I found your comments to be appropriately humorous and right on point. We would all agree that there are many great things to say about Bonaire, and it is still a paradise, even with the mounting blemishes. However, I believe it is completely proper to vent and air-out the problems visitors experience on Bonaire on this board. Ignoring the problems, or even worse, constantly being a cheerleader in the face of serious issues facing Bonaire does a great disservice to those who rely on these comments to plan their trip. Every single issue you mentioned, Mimi, is indeed a significant problem, and should be brought to light. The fact that you used a little tounge-in cheek sarcasm to make your point does not offend me in the slightest. Sarcasm is a very effective way to deal with a wide range of social issues. To those who are offended, I have two observations: 1. get a life! 2. remember Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors(not every one likes plain vanilla all the time)(even Bon AWA has a dozen, and incidentally, I am delighted to hear that they have reopened). Lighten-up, everyone. There's plenty of room for everyone's opinion without getting personal or becomming offended at every little pun or jab about Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lonnie,

I'm interested: how do you figure that Mimi is being intentionally sarcastic/humorous/punning? This is a text-based board; if she wanted to indicate any such thing there are emoticons she could use.

I don't think it's being "prickly" to take offense where offense is being offered.

screamingmimi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 6:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most of us are not being cheerleaders! We should all look out rose colored glasses more often, I agree that these issues are important and others should be made aware of them. If we have problems then we should share them. We all know there are problems big and small. But for one person to constantly harp on how bad things are, it's starts to wear thin. If she is being sarcastic, well -- I don't really find it humorous. Not many enjoy being ridiculed-- and to me that is what sarcasm is.
It's time that someone else lightens up-- and basicly that is what has been said in the past.
Give it a rest already. So -- I wonder-- do you see the glass full or half empty ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Lambert on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good post Lonnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, your post was the first laugh I got out of all of this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mimi greenberg on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Intelligent people who have a reasonable sense of humor do not need emoticons to make or understand the point of a message. You either get it or you don't.
I'm flattered that someone went to the trouble of posting the "screaming mimi" book cover art. I quite agree with the N.Y Times review. I am all of that and then some.
FYI, the real "screaming mimi" was a WWII bomb that made a high pitched whistle sound before hitting the target.
If it makes you feel better, pummel me with your pom poms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think I'll have a rum punch! ahhhhh!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sigh. I get busy for a few days and a discussion about air fares becomes a mud slinging fest. Folks - grow up!

Mimi & Lonnie - have you read the local papers to see what's being done about problems you complain nothing's being done about? See http://www.ExtraBon.com (and polish your Papiamentu at the same time). They post issues every day, and the archives go back about a year.

Also, Bonaire's attraction was and continues to be that it offers very good diving, a quiet setting (i.e. it's not Aruba), and nice ecology. It's never been truly easy or cheap to get to and stay on Bonaire (in contrast to Aruba, for example), and that's helped Bonaire avoid becoming an Aruba. Thank heavens for that.

Airfares to/from Bonaire and the U.S. were very cheap late last year. Now they have gone up to levels comparable (at least based on my recollection) to what they were a few years ago. Not cheap, but also not completely unaffordable either.

Of course, Mimi, you can compare Bonaire to Virgin Gorda (population 1/5th that of Bonaire), and use Little Dix's as an example (rack rate for the cheapest room at present is $375/night - just a wee bit more expensive than the best room at most Bonaire resorts - and yes, that's sarcasm on my part). But that was another thread.

I do wonder about your posts, however, Mimi, as they seem intentionally derogatory/inflammatory/snippish/whatever. Seeing as you are a psychologist by profession - are we just one big social experiment for you? If you truly believe what you post, why would you ever want to come back to Bonaire again? And if you don't believe what you post, why do you do it?

Anyhow, if you all want to continue arguing, I invite you to do so with a new topic in the Community Chat section, as this topic is now closed.

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration