BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Hopping a cruise ship to go from Dominica to Bonaire!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Hopping a cruise ship to go from Dominica to Bonaire!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B. Maxim (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I are thinking about another future Caribbean dive vacation in Feb - Mar 2010 and the logistics of travelling between the two islands. We would like to spend a couple of weeks in Dominica and then a few in Bonaire (or vice-versa.) We could take American Eagle and fly: Dominica – San Juan – Bonaire for about $750 each person, one way. But the AE flight from SJU to BON, in our experience, is a pain and we don’t want to risk a cancelled flight (one year we were the only AE plane to get off the ground); and possibly lost or delayed bags . Not only that, the flights from Dominica seem to leave late and making connections can be tricky. Soooooo …..
Princess Cruise lines travels between the islands and they may be able to accommodate us. The catch is that we’d have to pay for a full 7 day cruise (about $1150 each.) But we’d see Grenada, have our equipment with us and hopefully, have a nice leisurely two day trip.
Has anyone done this and does anyone know of any travel agent that can arrange such an itinerary? Or, does anyone have any other ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1370) on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What an interesting idea! Seems to be to be a good use of the extra $$$. Grenada is lovely...
We're also doing a "combo" trip next Jan/Feb. Two weeks in BON, then KLM to Quito for a week on the mainland of Ecuador and a week on board a catamaran cruising the Galapagos --- then back to BON, to return home to Rochester, NY two days later.
We normally spend four weeks in BON, but got this idea from our friend Stewart on BON last year.
Haven't visited Dominica, but it sounds lovely. BON is always so attractive for the shore diving, esp. as my honey doesn't dive, so Benny at Bonaire Town Homes where we stay is my dive buddy! We've been visiting now since 1999...
Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3503) on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can empathize with the challenge of getting across the sea to the other side of the Caribbean. I travel 3-5 times a year to Antigua and other islands. I have used AA mostly. It is such a pain to have to enter the US when one is not entering the US but simply transiting. It's a long arduous day. We took DAE to Sint Maarten when we went to Anguilla this past Aug. No comment on DAE.

I love Grenada but am not a cruise person and honestly would use the money to spend in Dominica. I used to work on a boat and was in Portsmouth every other week. What a cool island. If it were me, I would do AA. It's the cheapest and most painless of all options.

Here are some tips what to do on both islands. I often think I could live on either..

Grenada

Attraction: Spices/ West Indian Culture

Go to the market/Carenage and buy spices (please get me some nutmeg and cinnamon). Take a taxi to the spice factory. The nutmeg processing station is in Gouyave. It is called the Douglaston Spice Plantation. The scenery is breath taking. Another option is the Belmont Estate and Coco Processing plant. This is a lovely day in Grenada. Drink a rum punch somewhere local or ask the cabbie to take you somewhere along the way Don't forget to buy your Grenada Chocolates! If you get some please bring me a box?

Highly recommend by some is Mandoo Tours: http://www.grenadatours.com/

Dominica

Attraction: Nature Indian Culture

This island is about nature. There is incredible hiking so you may want to research this a bit more on your own. Contact Andy for a 4 hour tour of the Emerald Pool, the falls, the country. He is the best.

ANDY (LION) HOGAN
Email: tourlion@hotmail.com
Tel: 1-767-245-4445

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (BonaireTalker - Post #61) on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good luck with your travel plans. We spent 12 days in Dominica, beautiful. Two things on my must do list. The hike to Boiling Lake (you will have sore legs after, but glad you did it), and eat dinner at Sister Sea Lodge in the north. We stayed there and had fresh fish served on a banana leaf with all sorts of fresh fruit and chutney. Each meal was a masterpiece. They apologized when they had only lobster. Oh what a pity we had to settle for lobster that night. Enjoy.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration