BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: DC Metro to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: DC Metro to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Capossela (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From Washington DC Metro area, flew Air Jamaica from BWI in May 2007. Was great, 45 minute layover in Montego Bay.

I notice Air Jamaica does not fly directly into BON anymore, only Curacao (bummer!)
Also sounds like if you can transfer in US vs. Curacao, may be preferred.

Seems as though now, best is to fly [Delta] from DC (BWI) either through Atlanta or JFK, then both have direct flights to Bonaire.

Through JFK we'd have a 2+hr layover. Through Atlanta, a 36 minute layover - flight times and arrival times are great.

But my question is, to those expert Bonaire travelers on this board, would you risk the 36 minute layover in Atlanta, or would you suck it up and take the 2 hr layover in JFK for insurance purposes.

My concern is, if our flight gets delayed from BWI to Atlanta, we miss our Atl/Bon flight for any reason - cutting it so close - I believe we miss our entire week/vacation as this flight is only offered on Saturdays. Again, we did this w/Air Jamaica via Montego bay with short layover times, and were successful. Perhaps though we were lucky?

Based on experience, would you recommend taking the risk, knowing this flight or Delta in general, or flying through Atlanta in general?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to get back to Bonaire!

(also we went in May last time which was great. THis time we're considering either early Feb, or Apr or May - any suggestions/pro's vs. con's to time of year?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By K I V ~ Kobi in Virginia (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9506) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Craig,

My husband and I have been going to BON, annually, since 1994. We have done the BWI Air Jamaica flight many, many times. We were sad to see what happened to them and their BON flights :-(
We live in NW Virginia and don't mind the 1.5 hour drive to BWI. We go a back way that avoids the 66 beltway completely :-)

This May we took the new Delta flight from BWI to Atlanta to BON. Everything went smoothly both coming and going. My only gripe was there was no Delta first class lounge close to our boarding gate :-(

We take that route again in May 2009. We had plenty of times to get to our gate in Atlanta. Often times the plane will/can be held anyway; at least it has been for us in the past.
Going in February you can often run the risk of bad weather in our area. We have been to BON in the months of March, April, May, June & July. I would SO love to escape winter sometime and go earlier in the year.

I say book our trip, buy trip insurance and have a wonderful time!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11119) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 4:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

lol KIV do you really want Craig to book "YOUR" trip??? Craig, you are getting information here that is valuable..In May you won't have any hurricanes or snowy conditions that might delay your flights. but in Feb or March you might be careful and Good luck

(Message edited by scubahb on November 30, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3495) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 5:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you are traveling in the winter, IMHO I suggest you avoid connecting into another snowy airport. Head south via ATL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By K I V ~ Kobi in Virginia (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9513) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OOPS! See what leaving out one little Y can do to a post LMAO!

Sorry Craig. OK, so book YOUR trip then if you want you can book OUR trip too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #271) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Craig, take the earlier flight from BWI (or DCA) to ATL and have plenty of time for the BON flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Capossela (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Folks! KIV, I'll get right on booking your trip, just send me a check; don't be surprised if your confirmations show up with one extra, for me! :-)

Mel, challenge is, we are taking the earliest flight we can, to ATL...this is the one that provides only a 36 min layover. The alternative is going to JFK instead and having a 2 hr layover...hence the delemna and question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #274) on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Craig, when I checked the Delta schedule, there was a departure from BWI one hour earlier than the one you are referring to. If that doesn't work, there is an early departure from DCA.

If by the "earliest flight we can" you mean you don't want to get up earlier, too bad!

By the way, the ATL flight to BON gets there earlier too, which is nice getting up for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Capossela (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Mel, no I thought that was the earliest flight offered from BWI...
you've got mail.
-Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3497) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have clients flying out of DCA at 6 AM to connect in ATL on Delta this Feb. I found this flight on the Delta website. It was 638 USD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Dial (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 10:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Craig,
I have no experience yet but I have booked a trip in April with a 35 Min layover in ATL and im banking on running my butt off to make that connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #282) on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 11:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mitch, good luck. I believe you have to change terminals, using the train system. Where are you originating?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Dial (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mel, I know i will have to change terminals, just not sure yet how far to go. I have been through ATL before so I am familiar with the layout. Im pretty sure i can make iot barring any delays on my flight from Huntsville Alabama, its a short flight like 45 min.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #823) on Tuesday, December 9, 2008 - 10:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another option is to drive to Newark and take the Continental non-stop. It's under a 4 hours drive from Chevy Chase MD to Newark. (that's where I'm from, so I know the route well). Since it's a midnight departure and late morning arrival in Newark, you will not have to rent a hotel room.

You will just replace the stress of changing planes in Atlanta (my least favorite airport in the world!) with driving on I-95. Pick your pain!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Tuesday, December 9, 2008 - 11:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone tried Amtrak to Newark and connect to Continental? I have done this connection alone with 1 carry-on bag, but when diving my family we do not travel light......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stine (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #243) on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 9:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used to fly out of BWI on AJ but those days are over. We started driving to Newark. We rent a hotel room. Drive up early, check in, grab dinner and leave the car at the hotel. We use the hotel shuttle to and from the airport. We leave the car at the hotel lot. The hotel room costs about the same as a parking lot at the airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Knauer (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I were scheduled a short flight from BWI to Newark last summer and it was canceled. They put us on the Amtrak and it was great! A little bulky because we had 4 bags, but once we got to the Newark Airport, there were plenty of carts available.

We will definitely consider driving or taking the Amtrak to Newark next time.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration