BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: $1221 is the cheapest ticket? Really?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: $1221 is the cheapest ticket? Really?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, I'm trying to squeeze in a week's vacation in November, preferably starting the week before Thanksgiving. The cheapest flights seem to be $1221. Can it be that high? Most people on these boards seem to be speaking of $6-700 tickets. Where else can I look for an affordable ticket? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4423) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

yapta.com
kayak.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #470) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the west coast anymore, I would be happy with $800 to $900.

Here are a few other tricks/options (all have their drawbacks):
a) Try booking to AUA (lots of US service) and then taking another airline to BON
b) Same for CUR (less US service -- may require an overnight in CUR)
c) Try CO via IAH or via EWR.
d) Try leaving from another home city
e) Know anybody who can gift you miles on AA or CO (or NWA or Delta)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1545) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

where are you flying from? remember, tickets near a holiday will be more expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1546) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oh yeah...where are my manners???? welcome to bt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4427) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ME too pat - my bad - welcome to BT. Hey - I have a great photo of us at Cactus Blue - now to find where it is....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks all.. bonaire sounds great!

i'm now looking into flying to aruba and then to Bonaire. i'm flying from the d.c. region so many airports around here. (i hope the flights from aruba to bonaire are reliable:-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sharman Crockett (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been a "BT Lurker" for sometime and have been to Bonaire four times and counting. My next trip in schedule in 3 weeks time - whoo hoo!

Mary, we have been able to obtain relatively cheap tickets ($650) to Bonaire (via Buffalo and NJ) through Continental.

Good Luck...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #637) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Using www.Kayak.com you'll get a much better price then you mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #951) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You might find a good deal heading north. I think one of the budget airlines (Spirit, Jet Blue?) has good fares from IAD (Dulles) to EWR (Newark). Then connect to Continental's non-stop, EWR/BON on Saturday night. I'd do that before going via Aruba (flights to/fm Aruba hover around $200, plus taxes-not exactly cheap). However, your timing may be the source of the high prices. The week after T-day usually has better fares, but the week before-ugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3395) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The 22-30 Nov. is T'giving week. The week before is VERY well priced. Try to move things around? I priced the 22-30 for clients and saw 1k plus. The week before it was 500's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1368) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 7:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From Aruba to BON, you pretty much have to use DAE, which runs about $220 RT. It is NOT the most reliable airline, and you need to allow plenty of connection time, especially on the return, since you have to clear US customs in Aruba.

I found the Delta Saturday flight from Newark worked best for us, coming from Rochester, NY. We're paying almost $800 in January (no holiday...)
Good luck. Bonaire is well worth the effort to get there...
Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *joe brannan* (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #564) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary
I found Airjamaica (free rum punch and red stripe) from BWI to Curacao for 11/8-11/15 for $817 (tax included), on AJ website. Smarter peeps than me can tell ya how to get CUR to BON.

cheeze it

joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, here's the update. I am indeed flying into Aruba. That turned out to be the cheapest option. I got tickets for about $650 per person to Aruba and another $200 round ticket for Aruba-Bonaire. We're flying out on a 6:00am flight out of Bonaire on the day of the departure and our flight from Aruba is not until the afternoon. Hopefully that's enough time!

I hear y'all about the earlier week being cheaper but the same reason everyone else wants to fly out Thanksgiving week is the reason I'm stuck with that week.

On to reservations for lodging! Hopefully that can be cheaper:-) The flight was more expensive that we had hoped for but Bonaire sounds so wonderful! Thanks for all your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M Aguirre (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you dont mind a drive or a train ride, you can look into a flight from Newark direct with Continental. I know it seems like a hassle, but a train ride or drive might be a little easier than flying into Aruba. I have been stuck in Aruba and in Curacao many times while waiting for DAE to have a flight. Continental is direct form Newark, and there rates are very reasonable. Best of Luck, I am there from the 30th of Nov, to Dec 7th flying continental, cant wait!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Next time, hopefully, I will fly in when the rates aren't so high. I priced the Newark flight for my dates and it was $1400 PER PERSON. Yikes! (The week before was reasonable. ::sigh::-) So, Aruba it is for this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deborah Bennett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #139) on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 8:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary,
With a long Aruba layover, I suggest renting a car for a few hours and touring around Aruba. Makes that travel day seem like a vacation day.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration