BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Help...stuck in San Juan
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Help...stuck in San Juan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You have all been helpful in the past and now the dreaded has happened. Our flight out of SJU was cancelled tonight and we are on standby for Thursday and confirmed for ( are you ready?) the 21st. We could get to Miami tomorrow and then go on standby to Curacao. Is it worse to be stuck in Miami than SJU? They are giving us one night at the hotel. I think that since every other flight to the islands such as DO and Anguilla went out they can't claim it was weather...or was it...we have not gotten a report yet.
Any ideas? Can anyone perform magic? Help. We need to see fish!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #910) on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginny, Bonaire is currently getting slammed by Tropical Storm Omar which is why your flight was canceled. You can see pictures of all of the damage here on BT. The storm is expected to continue through the night tonight. Perhaps knowing this will help you to think about how you want to go about making your flight decisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,
Thank youfor the news. With the slow internet connection here I was unable to get the weather forecast. Our problems are small compared to the storm on the island. We will just stay g=here on SJU and make the most of it until next week. Now to find an affordable place for a week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3394) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginny, was your trip for one week only? If so, go home and cash in on your trip cancellation insurance. Anguilla is going to get some weather impact based on the models. Not sure what DO is. The entire Caribbean aside from maybe way south like T and T are wet right now. This is a big boy, Omar.

H Omar is heading towards PR. If you can get to Miami could you vacation there? I am being realistic. We are getting heavy wind and rains. Earlier it was lighter and a local plane took off but now I am certain there will be no regional flights for the next hours based on the weather here at the airport.

See what your options are. I feel VERY sorry but there is nothing to do in Bonaire right now aside from sleep, eat and read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our thoughts are with all of you who are weathering it out on Bonaire. Be safe.
See you all sometime soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #119) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 12:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, Ginny, what happened? Did AA/AE come through for you? Or did you have to cancel the trip?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration