BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Hurricane Joyce
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Hurricane Joyce
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Those of you on Bonaire and traveling to
Bonaire in the next week may want to look at
the currently projected track of Hurricane Joyce
at
www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at20
0014.html

It is presently headed on a path along the
north coast of South America with a prediction
of that path continuing. Even a fair deviation in
the usual northerly direction could produce a
wild time on Bonaire if it waits a few days to
change track.

A corollary of Murphy's Law states: Those
things we are prepared for don't happen.
Hope that holds here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 10:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let's all hope that this "lady" named Joyce decides her intinerary should be encompassing an area FAR north of Bonaire! Lenny left enough of a calling card for many years to come....these types of "visitors" are not welcome if they plan to hover too near to the Island........let them vacation elsewhere!

I hope all Joyce does is pull the normal trade winds off the Island and nothing more......maybe a good shower or two, as Bonaire can always use a little water, but nothing more.

We arrive October 7 in hopes of finding nice clear waters to swim with the fish and the marine life around Bonaire. Can't wait.

Keep us posted down there, OK, folks?? Good luck to all of you and many thanks. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just took a peak at the WebCam page and noticed the Barometer is now starting to fall....let's "wish" it back upwards! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JoAnn Green on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hopefully, "Joyce" will turn more to the north soon!! We are arriving on 10/2 & are also looking for clear waters. We are keeping a close watch on Joyce.
Hope to see some of you next week!
JoAnn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I too was just looking at Joyce's progress. She looks as if she's taken a southernly jog now, so perhaps the So. American mainland will maybe take the hit (poor them, or whoever it affects).

We're scheduled to fly in on Sat. so I'm a little on edge...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You should look at http://www.storm2000.com, too. The forecast path has it aiming for Guadeloupe with the storm to be felt there about 2.5-3 days from now. It looks like it will head up and east from there.

I'm scheduled to fly out of Bonaire on Sat. myself with the kids. Let's all hope her winds die down. She doesn't look very well formed on the satellite map.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A Southern "jog" is NOT good news! Pray it does a 180 degree turn and goes due North in a hurry. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JoAnn Green on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You might want to check out http://www.intellicast.com/Tropical, because this gives an excellent tracking chart for tropical storms & hurricanes. The predicted path shows Joyce with a low strike probability for Bonaire; however, before the 5:00am advisory, there was no strike probability for Bonaire. At this point, we are still planning to arrive in Bonaire around 3:30pm Monday.

JoAnn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 7:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One good result of the tropical storm Joyce
could be a chance to dive the east side of the
island this week. Always to be hoped for!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, October 1, 2000 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The "strike probability" at present (9:25am EDT) for near-Bonaire by the weakening tropical storm Joyce appears to be about 16 percent for between 2am and 2pm on Monday. Not a big probability, although a brush with rain looks possible.

Jake

PS If you use www.storm2000.com, Bonaire's coordinates are just south-east of those listed for TNCC @ 12.2N, 69.0W (Bonaire is 12.15N, 68.25W), so TNCC is probably Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Monday, October 2, 2000 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope that the most you get is a little bit of wind and rain. The http://www.storm2000.com website shows 25kt wind gusting to 35, and 1010 mb pressure at 11:00... if that continues to drop off, perhaps you can record it as a "dodged bullet" and get back to enjoying paradise. Wishing you all the best of luch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Monday, October 2, 2000 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lousy typing skills...make that "Wishing you all the best of luck!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Monday, October 2, 2000 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is anyone able to report the "road" conditions up at the Park at this point? Looks as tho you had almost one inch of rain according to Jake's instruments on the WebCam site.....was wondering what kind of shape the Park would be in for visiting and exploring next week. We do have an SUV lined up, but it would be nice to know the conditions ahead of time. Thanks to all and I am very happy to see you only received some rainfall out of Joyce......rainfall is good.......wind and surges are not! Thanks again. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan at Bon Bini Divers on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole, the Park was closed Monday because of the rain. I'm sure it will reopen soon, if not today. If I find out more, I will post it. Susan

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration