BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: ALM Strike?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: ALM Strike?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeanie Bollinger on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone heard about delay to Bonaire on ALM? I heard a rumor that ALM was going on strike. We are due to arrive on Sat. Sept. 30 and wanted to get the "Heads-up". Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I saw something in Monday's The Daily Herald (the English-language newspaper from St. Maarten, which is another island in the Neth. Antilles) that the government indicated that ALM employees would not be getting paid at the end of the month as they normally would, implying that it might be later than that. There was no mention of any strikes, however - I suspect that ALM employees realize that any strike at this point would likely tank the company for good, by the way.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 12:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just saw another article in today's issue that ALM's new president hopes that the payroll will be paid by October 3rd, and the Unions indicated that they are not ready to strike yet.

Separately, the article also indicated that ALM may start flying to Holland as soon as December 1st. I'll believe it when I see it...

Jake

PS Same issue of the newspaper, on a completely different note, indicated that Curacao will be switching to 230 volt/50Hz power in 2003 as its standard... I hope that doesn't happen on Bonaire...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeanie Bollinger on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake for the update. I take it that ALM is flying into the island daily as scheduled. Hope all goes well. It is great getting the word from those of you in Bonaire who are there. I confirmed my reservations with ALM and they said everything "IS normal", whatever that means. Thanks again. JBx2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just read in today's paper that ALM is paying its staff today to avoid any chance of a strike, so, you should be okay. Safe travels on Saturday!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JoAnn Green on Thursday, September 28, 2000 - 12:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, we are flying ALM on 10/2 & I very much appreciated your update. Thanks again! JoAnn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Cave on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 8:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We too appreciate the ALM updates. We are scheduled to fly on 10/4. Your postings are important to our sanity. Keep 'em coming!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration