BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: RE: Amount of Time Needed to clear customs at JFK
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: RE: Amount of Time Needed to clear customs at JFK
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beth (BonaireTalker - Post #61) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I am trying to book a trip for my parents for Bon. (Boston to Bonaire) FEB 14th- FEB 21st. I found a decent flight on Delta, but the return trip is awful.

They will arrive in JFK at 9:05 PM, but the flights back to Boston are not until the next morning. I found one flight on Delta that leaves at 10:00 PM.

Is an hour enough time to clear customs in JFK to make the 10:00 PM flight.

Thanks for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #140) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Neither Delta nor kayak.com show that as a legal connection, so I would say NO...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beth (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 2:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tom,

I thought it was a little tight. There is a jet Blue Flight that leaves JFK at 10:30, which would give them more time....but the web site said that I can not ticket Delta and Jet Blue together....

Do you know how it would work with their luggage if I book them on Delta from BON to JFK and then bought them another ticket on Jet Blue for the one leg back to Boston.

Is that possible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #141) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That sounds dicey. You need to have a bar-coded tag on each piece of luggage that has BOS as the final destination. In most cases you haul your bags through customs just a little ways and re-check them at the special place for people continuing onward.

But if Delta won't cooperate and put the JetBlue transfer info on each bag, then you'd have to go outside security and stand in line at the counter again.

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3363) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Beth, I know your struggle..that is President's Week and School vacation. The price of air is absurd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Take the DL flight from BON to Atlanta instead of JFK. That one leaves BON earlier and gets you to BOS around midnight...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beth (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 3:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

UGH...that is the perfect solution...but now it looks like the flight from Atlanta to Boston is sold out. I will keep trying.

Ann, you are right the prices are insane. But my MIL is a school teacher,so this is the only week she can come...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beth (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay....I guess they can fly Continental through Newark on the way home.

Thanks for the help

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration