BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Entertainment in KLM's MD-11
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Entertainment in KLM's MD-11
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bartek Jankowski (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 3:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hello,
do you know if KLM has already finished renovation of seats in economy class of MD-11 flying to Bonaire? We'll fly with this aircraft in January and wonder, if we should take something extra with us to entertain ourselves. If personal video on-demand is available (or will be soon), anything extra won't be necessary.

Best regards, Bartek
www.tropikey.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #623) on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I flew a MD 11 in July (to Bonaire) and August (from Curacao). No personal video on demand at that time.

(Message edited by bpsmits on September 21, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #59) on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 7:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We will be flying back in November and will post then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4055) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think the refurb of the MD11's was pretty much complete when we flew in March as all the seating had been changed from 2 x 4 x 3 to 3 x 3 x 3. Screens had gone from the seats and it was back to the old monitors on the ceiling. I hope they do something soon but I guess with the pressure on aviation finances this could be a long delay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanna Bryson Den Laman Balloon Fish (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've traveled on an MD-11 from Schipol once or twice a year since 2004 and the seating has always been 3 x 4 x 3 (except for the cushy 2 seats near the front just before the posh bit - that are always booked by the time we come to check-in - or the ones right by the washrooms at the back). Also, I have never experienced a personal monitor - only the monitors on the ceilings. Unless of course we are talking business or first? I didn't realise that there was any talk of re-furbishment either? Maybe I've led a sheltered life!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bartek Jankowski (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi everybody,

Joanna, here's link to official KLM's information regarding this issue:

http://www.klm.com/travel/de_en/travel_information/on_board/entertainment/index.htm

We'll be flying in economy class...

Best regards, Bartek
www.tropikey.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4058) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was getting confused with the entertainment in the 747 which was the flight when we first started coming to Bonaire in the late 90s (via Curacao). We have been repeat visitors usually two and sometimes three trips to Bonaire per year since that first holiday.

MD11 seating was 2 x 4 x 3 in Economy since the flights started around 2002, we always tried to book the 2s and we hated the pairs right at the back by the loos. It recently changed to 3 x 3 x 3 but still nine seats across.

From Bartek's link the work will be done by the end of the year, so for our next visit hopefully we will have personal screens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanna Bryson Den Laman Balloon Fish (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Bartek. I hadn't seen this. Won't it be luxury to be able to watch what you want and not to have the screen blocked every time someone gets up for a wander!! I wonder if we can get them to do anything about the food too??

Brian - you are right of course, MD-11's never had 4 seats across the middle - only ever 3. I would prefer 2 x 4 x 2 - (given that I can't have my own private jet yet) - but as long as it's even I'm happy. Wouldn't want the aircraft flying all the way to Bonaire lilting to one side ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy (228 DTG) cya at Lac Bay May 10th (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2448) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for bringing this up Bartek, and posting that link, Looks very good for my trip next May :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bartek Jankowski (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

you welcome Roy. I only hope that both of us will have possibility to take advantage of new VOD system ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #300) on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Friends of ours just arrived on Bonaire with KLM and they had personal video in economy so it looks like the refurbishment has been completed (at least in their plane....hopefully all MD-11's though)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bartek Jankowski (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Thursday, December 4, 2008 - 2:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for this nice info :-)
Personal video will certainly make me feel better. It'll let me forget, at least for couple of hours, about costs of our trip, which keep on increasing due to exchange rate of USD :-(
Best regards, Bartek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bartek Jankowski (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Friday, December 5, 2008 - 1:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

and one more information. According to KLM's web site, all seats in MD 11 have now VOD. Great!
http://www.klm.com/travel/de_en/travel_information/on_board/entertainment/index.htm

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration