BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Another Delta Question
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Another Delta Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5501) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We will be flying into Atlanta in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me which Gates Delta planes arrive? Our tickets say Terminal S..but Atlanta has Gates from A to E.
I am trying to map out our "run for the bags" since Steve just had a hip replacement and is not "sprinting" well these days!
I read on another post that there is a shuttle or tram that takes you to the baggage area (with carry-on's in tote)
Is the baggage area on another floor? And once we get there I am "assuming" we take them off and then re-check them and go through security again due to our carry-on's?
Then we take the shuttle/tram back to the departure gate?
Whew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4280) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl - explain a little bit more please. Where are you flying in from and are you then going on to Bonaire? Check you non-carryon's all the way through to Bonaire so you don't have to claim them. The departing gate should be in terminal E - that is for international departures. You can arrive in terminals A-D or terminal T and basically any gates since this is Delta's hub. You can go down stairs via the escalator or the elevator to the train. The train will pick you up and take you to terminal E. Then it's back up the escalator and off to one of the prongs where the flight departs.

You can email me directly if you wish and I'll see what we can find out - how long is your layover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #277) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

On your way to Bonaire you can check your bags through to Bonaire from your first departure city. No need to claim and re-check in Atlanta. There are trams and moving sidewalks. Even so, you may still have a long walk/sprint to the gate, as we did. Given the hip surgery and the unpredictable nature of arrival times, I suggest you arrange in advance for assisted transport, like an electric car and attendant. On your return to the U.S., you will need to claim the bags in Atlanta and pass through the usual U.S. Immigration & Customs check points. Bags are then soon put onto a conveyor belt to be moved to your next flight. Despite our frantic race to make our connection, we found the airport well organized with plentiful staff visible and giving directions to help people through the re-entry process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5502) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are flying out of Phili to Atlanta to Bonaire. Our time between planes is about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
I thought you couldn't check your non-carry on bags all the way through to Bonaire? If this is true it would make it so much easier and then we would just need to get from our arriving gate to our departing gate with carry on's.
Now leaving Bonaire to Atlanta to Phili. do we go through customs in Atlanta or Phili? It would make sense to have the non-carry on's checked all the way through to Phili our final destination?
Thanks guys...I appreciate any info...trying to keep my other half "relaxed". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ****Boat Chick**** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6782) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl, got your morphine drip ready?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5503) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cyn...how silly of you...It is one of the first things I pack!
With going a new route this trip I will need all the help I can get to get from point A to point B (Bonaire!!!) in my foggy state of mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Meet me at the 3Day in Atlanta (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4282) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok Meryl here's you trip...

PHI - ATL - BON...bags checked ALL the way to Bonaire. Get off plane in ATL (agree with Nathalie - have transportation pre arranged - electric car to get you to escalator or elevator and then again and the next concourse)go to Concourse E and then on to the gate - easy peasy.

BON - ATL - PHI...bags checked all the way to PHI BUT you must go through immigration in ATL, pick up your bags, take them through duty/customs and re-check/send them on the conveyor belt to your next flight then go through security ALL OVER AGAIN! Ah yes - that little bit. BUT if you buy any duty free while on the plane you can put it in your checked bags so it will make it home.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any other questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2112) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl, I know some folks have waited too long for baggage when doing the customs thing in Atlanta, but we were off one plane through the whole procedure, and sitting at our next departure gate in half an hour.

And the Delta flights were great, especially the departure times...only time we're come and gone to/from Bonaire and not been beaten up by the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5504) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks!!!!! So coming home even though bags are checked all the way through to Phili they still come off and go back on in Atlanta due to customs is that right?
I really don't care about how long it takes going home! Sounds like it is a breeze getting to Bonaire though!!!!
Again....thank you for the "walk through!"
I'm a traveling challenged individual. Anyone who has had the pleasure to be on the same flight with me knows my 'condition'. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2114) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's right, Meryl....go though immigration, go downstairs, go baggage pick up, get you luggage, go through customs, then toss your bags to the handlers, go back through security, and...ta da...you're done. There were personnel at each turn to head you in the right direction, too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5506) on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Whooo Whooo....see ya on the cams!!! Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Suzie Williams (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have a flight from BWI thru Atlanta at the end of November on Delta. We have a 55 minute layover. Has anyone been on this flight? If we miss this connection it's not like there are other ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5515) on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Suzie, I'll let you know..this is our first time with Delta also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia ~ GO HOKIES (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8077) on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Suzie,
We just did BWI/Atlanta/BON in May and all was well both going and coming. 55 mins is OK for your connection there; we didn't have much more than that coming in from BWI.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration