BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Catnip through customs?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Catnip through customs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey all. My mom made a bunch of catnip toys for me to donate at the shelter when we arrive next week. I'm really kind of nervous about taking them through customs.

I thought I'd staple a printed page from the animal shelter to the bag. Any other suggestions? Should this be in my checked bag or carry on?

FYI, they are infant socks sewn shut with catnip inside and ribbon on the outside.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RA. no more, no less (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3053) on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I brought a bunch of toys, some with catnip and never even thought about it. They were in my checked luggage and were still there when I arrived so I guess they didn't alarm anyone! The shelter is so cool and all the volunteers are great, and so many cute kitties and dogs! have fun and thanks for thinking of the animals!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3376) on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used to have a sniffer dog at the airport but he has passed on. However, there are a few stray cats!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #101) on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'll just bundle it all up like a square grouper and hope for the best. lol

We are flying Miami > Aruba > Bonaire so I guess we'll hit customs in Aruba. I'll leave them right on top in my checked luggage with a descriptive note.

Thanks for the input. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #135) on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last I heard, catnip was not illegal or restricted in any country.
I would say don't worry about it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #250) on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Aaron, I was worried myself in May as we had a pile of stuff packed to donate. I spoke with a friend who is a shelter volunteer and she advised if questioned at customs to explain it is a donation. They are very much aware that people are bringing in most the the items being sold at the shelter store.

That being said, I have yet to be checked coming in.

Patrick

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration