BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: 8 Hour Layover in Miami - What to do?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: 8 Hour Layover in Miami - What to do?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The subject says it all... we will arrive in Miami about 6 AM and don't fly out till about 4 PM. Suggestions on what to do for that time window?? Thanks so much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3277) on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would get a hotel room at that hour and go to bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not sure if this is still available but a number of years ago we had a layover there and went to the top of the airport hotel where they had a pool, showers, fitness center, etc for a modest day rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Friel (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This happened to us some years ago. We took a cab to Bayside, which is an outdoor waterfront shopping/dining area. (It's kind of like Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston. We got to enjoy a free outdoor concert, had a nice meal, some gellato, a very pleasant layover. Only problem was, we checked our luggage 8 hours early, and it dedn't arrive home until two days later. I figure it got put to the side in the loading while other flights came and went, and was missed when ours finally arrived.
Good Luck!
Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil, thanks for the very specific suggestions, just the kind of things I was looking for. Yes, the layover does have me a bit nervous about our luggage. It's checked all the way through, but the layover does increase the likelyhood of it getting "lost". We'll make sure and have the essentials in our carry ons.
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2083) on Saturday, September 6, 2008 - 1:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, the hotel in the airport is ungodly expensive, but as Sparty said, you can go to the roof of the airport and get a day pass to their health club, which entititles you to flop on their lounges and splash in their pool. They may have more ammeneties, but that's all I used.

There may be some hotels with shuttles and day rates, but I never got that far...we used to redeye in from the west coast and land at 4am: I was useless for anything more than that.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration