BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Newark layover revisited
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Newark layover revisited
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3266) on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a long layover in Newark, 5 PM - 11:55 PM. Please remind me of my options. I heard the VIP CO lounge is not worth a day pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Mossman (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's not long. I have the same in Houston on the way there in a couple weeks, plus a 10-hour layover on the return (thanks to using miles for the flight, but then at least 3 of the 4 legs are in first class!).

I'm not sure what a day pass costs at the CO President's Club, but it's all-you-can-drink if you want to get your money's worth and that's your sort of thing. Otherwise, you can stuff yourself on cheese and crackers and potato chips, as they unfortunately don't have real food like international carriers' lounges. There's a TV room, free wifi, comfortable chairs, and even showers. Lockers to store your carry-ons if you just want to roam the airport hands-free. I get in as a member so it's a no-brainer for me, but obviously the value of a daypass goes up the longer your layover lasts.

If you want a nice long steak dinner to kill some time, Gallagher's has decent beef. The only problem is that I'm boycotting them after they promised me over the phone that they would be open and I could order dinner until a certain time on a previous flight. We ran, literally, from the gate all the way to Gallagher's, no short distance, only be told when we arrived there panting and out of breath that they already stopped serving because there weren't any customers, even though we were still 5 minutes before the cut-off time that I was promised over the phone.

I'm actually surprised TSA didn't shoot me the way I yelled a stream of profanities at the top of my diver-lung assisted voice, but then it's New Jersey and so no one barely noticed. The steaks are good, but after the great low prices in Bonaire, you'll get sticker shock.

There's a tram to a train that takes you right to Penn Station, which could be fun for a few hours, but that wouldn't be as much fun if you're laden with carry-ons. I did it once with a week's worth of check-in luggage and it really sucked. I think a cab to NYC is $45 each way? You certainly don't want to risk getting stuck in traffic and missing your connection, though.

Maybe Newark is fun for a few hours. I wouldn't know. I don't know anyone who's been there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue from NJ (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #797) on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The only 'fun' things to do in Newark are (1) attend Newark Bears baseball game or (2) attend event at NJPAC (www.njpac.org), otherwise, I do my best to stay out of Newark at night. (full disclosure - I did my MBA at Rutgers-Newark, so I spend 3-4 years hauling there 2-3 nights/week).

If you really want to leave the airport, I would suggest a trip to Jersey Gardens. It's a great outlet mall, just 'across' the turnpike from the airport. The mall also has a decent Loews movie theater if you want to take in a movie. I posted a while back some info on a shuttle service they have to/from the airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sorrows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Continental just cancelled our 7:30 p.m. flight to Newark; now we have to go earlier, which means a longer layover in Newark.

Not sure if we have the guts to actually leave the airport--and the Continental VIP lounge is $45. per person. What's the rest of the airport like? Any suggestions what to do with 5 hours?

Actually, a movie might work, if it's as close as the above poster suggests.

Thanking everyone in advance...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration