BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Chicago to BON
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Chicago to BON
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By v.cioffletti (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 2:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all,
Anyone have any recent pointers for us midwesterners to get to BON relatively "easy" route wise, now that AJ in its lack of wisdom has cancelled their flights and no one (has yet) picked up? From O'Hare to? Or Milwaukee (even) to?
We usually go in December.
I really hate to waste TWO vacations days out of a weekend to weekend trip purely traveling.
AJ used to get us from O'Hare to Bon in time to rent car, grab groceries, check in, (Divi) and get in water.
This is rattling our cage, argh!

Ginni/WI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Newmyer (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used to use AJ out of ORD to get to Bonaire too, with little issues. We go back in October and are going out of Detroit on the Continental flight out of Newark. You could try getting a departure out of ORD to either Houston or Newark on Continental. You could also try Delta's new service out of Atlanta.

Still only 1 stop-over to paradise. With the early flight arrival you can have some coffee and breakfast, then hit the water for your orientation dive....all before lunch. Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #327) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We leave September 5th out of O'hare to Houston. From there we take the red-eye to Bonaire arriving somewhere around 5-6AM.

We depart Bonaire early on the 21st going back to Newark, and then to O'hare, arriving ORD around 3 PM.

We used AJ 13 times to get back and forth to Bonaire. Liked their schedule, but I won't miss Sangster airport.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #803) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 11:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Am I reading their flight schedule correctly? I just tried a sample run in November to BON from Chicago ORD on the Continental website.

To get there I now need to travel first to New Jersey? Even leaving from Houston you would go back up to NJ to reach Bonaire?

Doesn't sound terribly fuel efficient to me - lol

Perhaps I typed in the wrong info?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky - I'm counting down now (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1806) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 11:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginny,
I'm going on Delta from Milwaukee to Atlanta to Bonaire in October... arrive Bonaire 2pm - NICE!!:-) Connections in Atlanta can be tight but do-able.

The flight leaves MKE at 5:55am (ugh) but the arrival time in Bon more than makes up for it.

Oh, and this is a Saturday only route, if that makes a difference

(Message edited by morgans4me on August 6, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #131) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Use www.kayak.com to find major airline routings.
They don't have most puddle-hoppers, like the ones between the ABC's...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, at home. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6558) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If going in December, book soon. When we went over the holidays, we had issues finding seats and had to split our group. 2 of us went ORD-SJU-Bon and the other two went ORD-Miami-Cur-Bon. The Cur-Bon portion was on DAE.

We only took the AJ flight once. My husband couldn't handle AJ's lack of seat cushions so we are now AA people. For me the biggest concern is: does the airline have multiple flights so that if our luggage does not arrive, it will arrive before we leave. The once a week flights don't allow for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #211) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just recently did AA to SJ then AA Eagle to Bonaire. It was great . Yes we had a 6 hour layover in SJ , but we got to Bonaire on the same day . We also have done the red-eye. ORD to Houston and Houston to Bonaire. Ran into a 1/2 hour delay from Houston , but no big deal. Got into Bonaire at 5:20 am . Had all day . Thank god no more AJ . They were a mess and every time we used them we got 1 less day in Bonaire due to their un-organization

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1680) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 4:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Randy, The red eye from Houston leaves on friday night. you have to fly to Houston friday afternoon...
You get a extra day on Bonaire if you go friday night... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #806) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 4:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ron,

that was my screw-up. I was selecting a Saturday departure date from ORD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Eggler (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 9:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Continental has a Sat flight Houston to Bon. Same time as Fri. night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Eggler (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 - 10:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Continental has a Sat flight Houston to Bon. Same time as Fri. night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1681) on Thursday, August 7, 2008 - 2:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, the saturday flight is from Newark, the friday night flight is from houston... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Eggler (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Thursday, August 7, 2008 - 8:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

They have added the Sat flight, I checked web, is available for Jan. I don't know when they started it, we are going in 2 weeks on the Fri. flight which is almost full, the Sat. flight is almost empty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #328) on Friday, August 8, 2008 - 9:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Pat,

The Saturday flight out of Houston is sporadic. It was available most of the summer, but it didn't exist for our trip in September.

Apparently, they have it again in January.....

Go figure - if you can.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration