BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: American Airlines still changing the schedule
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: American Airlines still changing the schedule
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #889) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just found out that AA has made more changes to the flight times for American Eagle from/to San Juan. The flight to Bonaire will be leaving SJ at 8:30pm and arriving at 10:27pm and the flight from Bonaire will now leave at 8:50am and arrive in SJ at 10:5am. Not sure when this begins but I am guessing it will be in the fall when they drop to three days a week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7425) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, is that just "ducky". Thanks Susan for posting about this. Will keep an eye on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan,
My AA schedule for Oct still has me leaving SJU at 7:30, but you are right about the return. Will be leaving Bon at 8:50 , and that is not bad. Thanks for the reminder to keep checking on the schedule.
I am also seeing that as of next year we will need more miles for the trip. That surely was not unexpected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Dobson / Den Laman unit F (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My Jan 20 flight Arrives 10:27 PM and Feb 11 flight leaves 8:50. No notice of change given but checked reservations now. Close connection on the 11th...getting into SJU 10:54 and leaving 12:50... with going through customs 2 hours is minimal. Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7426) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Checked my tickets for November and yup, got the change that Sue just said, should be interesting in San Juan when I go back as I have now 55 minutes to catch the flight to Miami. Customs to go through too. Augh! Making one flight change is bad enough, but then when they go doing it a second time, who knows, they may even do it again before November. Will have to keep a watch on them till then...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7427) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not even sure if I can make my connecting flight from SJ to Miami come to think of it. They have me arriving in SJ at 10:55am and leaving for Miami at 11:55.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #726) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, good luck with that one. As you probably know, Miami is a nightmare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7428) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary, I sure do. Sent an email to hubby to see what he wants to do. Even if I change it, AA might mess with those flight times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie,
Suggestion: train to run REALLY FAST!!! and wear a big smile, oh and....cross your fingers!!!
I am not getting too upset at this point because I expect there will be more changes to come. Saving my breakdown till the end... I just want to get to Bonaire!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7429) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just got off the phone with AA. I have changed my tickets to now leave SJ to Phila. instead of SJ to MIA to PHIL. as it is not enough time to do so. Now, a long layover both ways. Oh Joy, can't wait, but I am on a plane at least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie,
Glad you were able to make the change. We need to keep our eye on our reservations because without constantly checking we would not know. I never got an email from AA.
At least we will get to Bonaire. One trip at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought there might be some chatter about AA on this board, as I just HAPPENED to check my reservations made for December 26th - January 3 flying out of and back to St. Louis. My flight segments from San Juan to Bonaire were GONE!!! They had me flying into and out of San Juan only! I called the AA agent, and was told that they have reduced the number of days that they fly into and out of Bonaire from 5 to 3, and obviously the days of the week I had booked -- a Friday and a Saturday -- were days that they dropped! And they had given me no notice of that fact! You would think that having a Platinum status with AA would matter, but obviously not. So -- I had to try to extend my stay by one day on each end (will not mind another couple of days on my favorite island!) -- so booked on Christmas day to fly in -- no problems and ample connection times. But they were full on both January 2nd and January 4th on the Bonaire-to-San Juan flight for my return. The agent said that they would work on getting me on one of those flights, but I have not yet heard from them. I assume that others of you have confirmed her statement that the number of days that they fly into and out of Bonaire from San Juan has been reduced from 5 to 3???

We will be staying at Captain Don's, and no problem there in extending our stay. Just have to figure out a way to get back!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17119) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

American and American Eagle are also cutting flights at or, pulling out of some U.S. airports altogether. http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/large-airports-will-lose-american/20080626132509990002

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

might take a local flight to Curaco and fly out from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #892) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, here is a link with some more discussion about the changes. Flights to Bonaire from San Juan are now Tues, Thurs, Sat and from Bonaire to San Juan Wed, Fri, Sunday. We also had to change our flights for the Christmas holiday as AA had dropped our days for Bonaire flights.

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/29/365122.html?1212941751

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

After several AA schedule changes where I did NOT receive any notification I did receive an email this morning. This change is a positive one at least. We only have a 3 hr layover in SJU on the way home. That is the good news. The bad news is that we have 9 hours on the trip down.
Well at least AA is sending out some notifications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #126) on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I contacted AA last night after hearing that there were seats available on the January 4th flight to San Juan -- to no avail, as the agent insisted that the flight was full. So -- I have booked my return trip out of Curacao. Now -- I just need to get to Curacao to catch a 9:10 AM departure for Miami on January 4th. Can anyone tell me what airlines I need to contact to do that? The AA agent on the phone last night was pretty uncertain, so I want to confer with YOU all-- the REAL experts. Any information and advice for getting me and my dive gear to Curacao from Bonaire would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.S. The agent told me the following, and I swear I am not making this up. She told me that for an extra fee, I could fly from St. Marteen on AA directly to St. Louis after a stop-over in Miami -- same plane. And that there is a ferry boat between Bonaire and St. Marteen that would cost me only $3.00. I responded by asking her if she knew how many hundreds of miles away from Bonaire that St. Marteen is -- and she said, "Well, that's what is showing on the screen..." I told her that it would take days to get to St. Marteen by ferry boat! Oh, well....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3201) on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, I have to tell you when something like that happens, get the name of the agent and their ID. It is plain WRONG for someone to give such bogus information. An AA agent recently cost me A LOT of money because of misinformation she provided. I have no name or reference to file my complaint and the loss is mine.

DAE used to have a 6 AM flight from BON to CUR. Check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #334) on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann-
is it safe to say that an early morning D A E flight is more dependable--less time in the day to screw something up--lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth Dodge (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well....All I can say is Bonaire is well worth all these airline problems.

American Air just changed our flight (without notice) from Cur to Miami on Nov 9th from 9:15am to 8am. We have a flight from Bon to Cur via DAE at 8am. It is on a Sunday and DAE does not have an early flight so we are #$%^&*().

I have written DAE and asked if they are going to add an early flight on Sunday as the grapevine had mentioned talk about it.

Oh boy!
Ruth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #597) on Saturday, July 5, 2008 - 7:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check with Baibini for Divi Dive flights.
http://www.baibini.com/reservation.htm
The connection may still be too tight to get you checked in on the Curacao Miami flight but worth looking into. Will also depend on the day you are traveling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #339) on Monday, July 7, 2008 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AA has changed the Boston to San Juan schedule again. We are leaving in late February and the time departing Boston is now 8:45am instead of 6:15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Monday, July 7, 2008 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our October departure time from Boston still remains at 6:30...as of today. Actually we would love it if it changed to later. Will keep an eye on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Monday, July 7, 2008 - 11:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just got confirmation of change for flight from Boston too. Now leaving in early march 8:45 am instead of 6:15am. hope this one sticks :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 9:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear all --

I am SO sad that I just cannot swing the deal to go to Bonaire this year because AA has so bollixed things up on my flights. I have managed to get them to book my return flight from Curacao on January 3rd, so now I am planning to just GO to Curacao for my December 27-January 3 dive trip.

I have never been to Curacao! So -- can you all help me in deciding where to stay, for those of you who have been to Curacao? Right now, I am looking at the Habitat, a place called Sunset Waters (an all-inclusive), and a place called Lions Dive Beach and Resort. I have consulted Trip Advisor reviews, and both the Habitat and Sunset Waters have had really mixed reviews, while the Lions Dive has had uniformly positive comments. The dive operations at all three places have positive reviews. The problem with Lions Dive is that the require a 10 night stay to book at that time of year (well -- COULD be a problem, just have to extend my stay a bit! :o)

Has any one been to any of these 3 outfits, and have advice? Any other recommendations for places to stay and to dive?? AA is flying big jets into and out of Curacao daily, so I don't face the extreme limitations that I do for my beloved Bonaire.

Any thoughts, y'all???? I know that this is a BONAIRE message board, but I need help!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Bridenbaugh, wife Kathy (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've stayed at Habitat. Beautiful house reef. Food is just ok. Nice dive shop and staff, although Tuke is gone (a colorful character), it is a well managed dive shop. Habitat is a little out of the way, but has a nice tank stop for trucks if you rent a truck. We would go back to Habitat. Rent a truck and you will be happy there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, David! This helps. Had definitely planned to rent a vehicle, probably a truck, especially if we are there for the 10-day minimum at Lion Dive. Hope others will weigh in!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 8:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

steve,
check out the scuba board. there is alot of new information about Curacao. makes me want to go. please report back as to what you find.
seems like a good alternative but have never been, yet.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/

bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 10:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were in Curacao a couple of years ago and the diving was really good. Not Bonaire, but really good. We found a dive operation called the Dive Bus (http://www.the-dive-bus.com/) and Suzy and Mark who run it are great. They know the island and dive sites well, and are fun to be with. Then they just had an old VW bus that was the dive bus and it was all shore diving. I think they've expanded to boat dives and have a dive shop now as well. We weren't staying at a dive hotel, but with them it didn't matter because the Dive Bus picks you up and drops you off. We stayed downtown at Kura Hulanda (where our original hotel put us after they had a flood) and it was a nice property and was interesting, but I'm glad it was only a few days...for longer you probably want to be at the beach unless you're there for commerce.

Enjoy Curacao. We're still trying to figure out the best way to get to and from Bonaire that week (Dec 27 to Jan 3) as we're set with the timeshare at Divi, but the flights are crazy. Maybe we need our own charter?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Canant (BonaireTalker - Post #95) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We stayed in the apartments at Westpunt a few years ago. Very quiet, nice diving out front, fishermen come in right down the beach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ken and Ross.

Carol and I have settled on the Sunset Waters Resort, an all-inclusive place. The Trip Advisor reviews had a couple of real negative ones, but overall the vast majority were quite positive. We typically do not like or stay at all-inclusives, but our choices were really limited. We do not expect the food to be superb, and we can always go out a night or two if we want. We did not have 10 days to spend there, so that eliminated the Lions Dive. Checked out the big-box resort hotels, Hilton and Marriott (???), and they were REALLY expensive. Also, all of the reviews on the dive operation at Sunset Waters were extremely positive. Got my ticket with American Airlines changed to get into Curacao on the original dates that we had wanted to go to Bonaire -- December 27-January 3rd. I do hope that AA goes back to more flights into and out of Bonaire, or uses bigger jets, soon! Both Continental and Delta are much more complicated, and expensive, for me to use.

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #124) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We stayed at Sunset Waters on Curacao in 2004 and it was just fine; food OK, not super. Get a room on the cliff, not the cheaper ones inland.

I was hoping to stay there a few days again this November in conjunction with our Bonaire trip, but connections in Curacao aren't so good anymore now that AA cancelled their early flights. So we're flying to Aruba instead (from Boston) and will get to Bonaire via DAE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jorgensen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Tom. To their credit, the woman in Chicago with whom I booked the stay was absolutely honest with me when I inquired about the quality of the food. OK, but not super, was the gist of her response. I was impressed by her candor and honesty! We have a junior suite booked, which is a corner room with an ocean view I understand. Looks like DAE is going to be picking up some business into and out of Curacao and Aruba given the AA Bonaire flight reductions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 1:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AA cutbacks are for both Bonaire and Curacao. Aruba still has decent daily service from a number of US airlines.

DAE is not well thought of on this board, of course. Two other hoppers, Tiara Air and Insel Air, fly from Aruba to Bonaire, via Curacao, but their schedules are whacky at times.

For instance, Insel Air has a flight from Curacao to Bonaire at 18:45, but their flight from Aruba lands at 18:50....not really meant to be a connection, I guess.

Checkout Aruba flights here http://www.airportaruba.com/en/flightinfo/departures/

and Curacao flights here http://www.curacao-airport.com/flightinfo.php

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration