BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Another checked baggage question
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Another checked baggage question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #241) on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trust me, I'm not trying to open this can of worms again.....

But while searching for airline tickets to plan a fall trip, something crossed my mind. I don't recall this being discussed and I was wondering if anyone has had any recent direct experience with it.

I assume that the fee for checked baggage will be applied to all qualifying bags on all flight legs. In other words, we will pay a fee on Continental for our flight from ORD to Houston, and then another fee for our flight from Houston to Bonaire.

Does anyone know if this is the case? And if it has been discussed earlier, I apologize for rehashing, but I couldn't find any mention in the earlier threads.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #101) on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since your ultimate destination is International -those are the rules that apply. Should a skycap demand the extra or ticket agent - make sure you review the international luggage rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6318) on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As I understand it Dave, it applies to bags checked through to a destination. So, if you check your bags from ORD to BON, and if your bags would be susceptible to a fee with BON as a destination, you would pay one set of fees.

And likewise, on the return you would also pay (if such were due).

For those doing overnights to/from Bonaire, you potentially pay for each separate leg that your bags are specifically checked through on. So, if on AA (which is not presently charging fees to Bonaire, I believe), if you flew from LAX to MIA and then overnighted, you'd pay the fee for the LAX to MIA leg, but not the next day's MIA-BON routing because there's no fee for that, yet.

This is pretty similar to traveling with overweight or excess bags (as I do sometimes). You pay for each completed (check-in and baggage claim on opposite ends) leg. Or put another way, every time you check your bags you are liable for baggage fees if they apply for your destination.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #242) on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Jake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Wade (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 9:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got off the phone with DELTA yesterday because they informed us of a slight schedule change. I specifically asked the Delta agent about this issue and I was told that since my FINAL destination was international, then ALL segments of the trip fell under international rules. Just a word of advise though--since most people going to Bonaire take a lot of toys (Scuba gear, cameras etc.) I have been to Bonaire MANY times when my luggage DID NOT arrive on the same flight with me. MY family ALWAYS carries as much in our carry-ons as we are allowed to tide us over until the luggage arrives.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration