BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Air Jamaica from Mia
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Air Jamaica from Mia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got my tickets for our Oct. trip to Bonaire from ALM. I tried to use Air Jamaica but they told me on three different occasions that it wasn't possible to fly from Miami or Ft.L to Bonaire without a layover in Jamaica (on the return trip from Ft.L on both trips from Mia). Is this true? Can anyone enlighten me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Air Jamaica flights to Bonaire all involve a connection through Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, what's likely happening is that their computers are telling them that there is only a 15-45 minute connect time in Montego Bay on the return connection, and typically in International connections, at least an hour is recommended. You can ask your travel agent to override this, or even better, have them call Air Jamaica to confirm that such a close connection time is acceptable.

I've flown AJ from Bonaire to various U.S. destinations at least three times this year alone, with "tight connections" and never had a problem (they tend to hold planes up to a couple hours for connecting passengers who were delays, as far as I've seen).

Also, I'd advise anyone who can to use Air Jamaica over ALM these days. ALM is just too unpredictable for my tastes, and when they screw up (which, based on my travels and those of friends visiting us on Bonaire in the last year, has been more often than not), they provide lousy customer service as a result of not informing their local handlers as to what's going on. Friends coming to visit us this week got stuck with an unexpected 11 hour delay in Miami on Saturday, and the people who were supposed to leave here for the U.S. then didn't get to leave until yesterday (2 days later).

And overnighting on ALM's nickel in Miami is no great thrill either (my parents had to stay at the HoJo near Miami airport when they attempted to fly north last November)...

If Air Jamaica isn't workable for you, then consider American Airlines into Curacao, with (unfortunately) ALM connecting you to Bonaire. Sadly you still have to use ALM, but you minimize your exposure.

For those stuck on ALM for future travel - pack a carry-on with the sorts of things you'd need in the case of a lengthy delay.

Jake

(Disclaimer: The above reflects my own personal opinions - others have apparently had better experiences with ALM, even in recent times)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 8:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, I second your comments and speak as well from personel experience. Air Jamaica is probabll the best option and next best is American to Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 11:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since we're on the topic of Air ALM and our disgust with them, here's an article from today's issue of The Daily Herald:

---

BONAIRE WANTS ITS OWN COMMUTER AIRLINE
(From The Daily Herald, August 16, 2000 http://www.thedailyherald.com)

KRALENDIJK, Bonaire The Executive Council of Bonaire is dissatisfied with the service provided by Air ALM and has suggested taking over flights between their island and Curaçao. In a letter to Prime Minister Miguel Pourier and Chairman of the General Management Foundation of Air ALM Bas Kooijman, the Executive Council stressed that a solution must be found for the bad connections between the two islands.

Commissioner Ramoncito Booi informed Kooijman that he wants to have a meeting on the "penible experience with Air ALM" and to discuss a number of options. One of the options is to take over ABC Commuters. The latter company was separated from Air ALM years ago to carry out inter-island flights.

The Commissioner suggested eliminating the monopoly position of Air ALM. The Island Government has offered to purchase ABC Commuters, since the Central Government in the past has refused to give Bonaire Airways a permit to fly between Curaçao and Bonaire.

Booi made it clear that the bad service of the national carrier not only is a "disaster for the people" but also has a negative impact on tourism, on which the island depends.

According to the Executive Council, 40 per cent fewer flights were carried out this year compared to last year. It is estimated that there is a shortage of 100 seats per day.

As Bonaire doesn't have a large sophisticated hospital, the people also depend on Curaçao for medical care. Patients regularly are forced to travel on Air ALM to the larger sister island. "The lack of proper air connections can be life threatening". Booi noted.

The Commissioner of the UPB party stated that his government and the ones before his have insisted on having the matter of full flights and delays dealt with properly, but to no avail. According to Booi, the situation is serious and needs the immediate and direct attention of the Central Government.

The discontent of the Executive Council is shared by the Bonaire Business Association and the Chamber of Commerce. The organizations sent a letter to Prime Minister Pourier stating that they no longer have confidence in the national carrier.

---

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all...I have changed my reservation from ALM to Air Jamaica, although it cost me a little money but I feel better...Now I have to curb my anxiety over a 20 minute window in MoBay on our way home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let's hope things improve, I'm always the optomist.I'll try my chances, again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Roberts on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

After our last experience with ALM, I know we will be looking for alternate ways to get to Bonaire! ALM would never last in the states....their customer service is non-existant and their employees' attitudes are rude and aloof. I hope the government does something about ALM. Our local scuba club won't come to Bonaire if they can't get American Airlines reservations. Let's hope Air Jam does a good job and keeps it up!

Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

New developemnts. The President of ALM has been relieved of his post and a new, more experienced, person has been hired to replace him. I know it is kind of late, but this may be the wake up call they needed. Of course, you have to remember that ALM ia oned by government.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Baranoski on Thursday, August 17, 2000 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just returned from Bonaire (trip report forthcoming) and flew AJ. We had a 20 minute window as well, but as Jake pointed out, our flight (both ways) was delayed ~ 1 hour to wait for other connecting passangers. No problem mon! We had a great flight, no lost luggage, etc. It is a bit hectic at MoBay and the intercom sounds like the teacher in Peanuts cartoons (wa wawa wa), but there was always a saff member repeating (I guess) the announcements. We will use them next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Pietrala on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it seems like my experience with ALM was not totally unique. After only one full day on the island we were informed that ALM may be going on strike or shutting down totally. So, to error on the side of safety we cut our vacation short. We were supposed to leave on August 17 with ALM. So, my question is: Did a plane to Miami actually leave from Bonaire on the 17th? We continued our vacation in Florida, and left Miami International as we had previously scheduled. We checked the ALM counter, but no one was there. Did they actually shut down?

If anyone can help answer this I would really appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Adam Pietrala

Responses can be posted or sent directly to adp148@psu.edu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sharyn spray on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 6:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Like Thomas I just booked on Air Jamaica with only a 20 min window (hoping everyone's right about being able to make it!).But the only way I was able to book it was thru Expedia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Ceil on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 8:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AirJamaica and Caradonna Travel both agreed with Thomas (i.e., flights back to MIA involve layover in Jamaica) -- this does not even agree with the current schedule shown on the AirJ website -- the only conclusion that we could come to was that, at some date in the future, the schedule is changing (Thomas mentioned Oct; we were looking at Feb) -- Sharyn -- are you going MIA-BON-MIA and is your trip soon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sharyn spray on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 7:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are going Balt-Bon-Balt in Oct. You're right the times shown change when you actually book the flight, but Expedia booked it even with only 20 min between connections. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 8:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A big difference here is that I am flying to & from Ft. Lauderdale. I couldn't get back to Mia via AJ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Ceil on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 8:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Neither Miami nor Ft. Lauderdale returns are possible without an overnight (Feb 2001) per Caradonna and AirJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is correct (officially, per AJ & Caradonna), but I got the tickets through Expedia. I then spoke to a rep from AJ and although they (AJ) wouldn't issue me the tickets he (the rep) seemed very positive that since I had the tickets that my connection would be made...no guarantee, of course, but if the failure to make the flight is AJ's fault, they have to put you up for the evening, meaning they probably "hold flights" for incoming passengers (again, from the AJ rep)...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 9:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The travel day also makes a difference. The new Wednesday Bonaire flights don't have all the US connections that the Saturday flights have. The LA to Montego Bay red eye does not fly on Tuesday night but it does fly on Monday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sharyn spray on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does that mean my chances of making the connection are better or worse on Wed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I meant that some AirJamaica flights that exist on Saturday, don't exist on Wednesday. As in the AirJamaica flight from Los Angeles to Montego Bay does not fly every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stewart Kaslow on Saturday, September 2, 2000 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have flown Air Aruba, ALM, and Air Jamaica, The worst service I ever received was from Air Jamaica. They lost all my luggage,3 pieces checked and it took 5 days to get it from Montego Bay to Bonaire. The worst part is they did not even respond to the telexs that that the bonaire local rep sent inquiring. Arrived on Saturday luggage came in Wednesday night. I have had a single piece delayed on the others but they always were there no latter then the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, September 2, 2000 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As far as I remember - you made the same posting about a year ago... did it happend a second time or is it just the old story??? Anyhow - I really think your experience is an exception

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration