BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Questions about Air Jamaica transfer in Mont. Bay
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Questions about Air Jamaica transfer in Mont. Bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ramsey on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all,

Will be there in March(can't wait). My question concerns my layover in Montego Bay.

Arrive from Atlanta 11:35 Depart for Bonaire 12:25.
On return arrive from Bonaire 5:05 depart for Atlanta 5:40.

For those who have flown aj, how is this possible unless they hold every plane everyday?

Thanks!
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

They hold planes regularly - it's only once it's clear that the misconnect will be significant (over 1.5 hours in my experience) that you'll end up having to overnight in MoBay.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ramsey on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake!

I just hope that doesn't happen because that is a Sat. flt. and AJ doesn't have a Sun. flt.
I'll have to wait til Mon. or get an American
flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn H. on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can stay overnight in Montego Bay on the way there and back... course it eats into your travel time, so it depends on how long your trip is... :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 3:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have flown with them on two trips (Aug. and Dec.) and each time there was a delay either leaving BOS (one hour Dec. 22) or leaving BON (one hour leaving) and both times all flights were held. The time it was late leaving BON some did miss their connections. I was lucky.

I LOVE Air Jamaica...ya mon..drink the Ting grapefruit soda.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So what does Air Jamaica take to Bonaire. The last time I took it they used the MD-83 and it was dirty! When I returned to New York they changed my seats to Bonaire and New York. I had good seats to begin with, and then they gave me awful ones once I checked in at Flamingo airport. On the schedual they said they're using the A321 now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 4:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dirty reminds me of something. While I love Air Ja the seat cushions are soooo flat and yes, dirty. My last trip I was eating a clementine and took an air sick bag to put the peels in. I reached in and it had been USEDDDDDDDDDDDDDD..I quickly withdrew my hand and pressed the call button as we were still climbing and I could not walk to the rest room. I told the young Jamaican flight attendant that the bag had NOT been removed and would he take it and get me a wet nap. He said I had to throw it away and he would not touch it. I tried to explain it was not my *&^% puke bag..oopps...sorry..finally he got the picture that someone ELSE had left it behind and he got me a trash bag to throw it in and a wet nap..I still cringe at that one..

Oh I have more but another day and this time about AA...

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 10:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie,
I am from CT, so we are close! My teacher says that everyone else in New England doesn't consider CT a part of it! Where do you stay when you go to Bonaire, and how often do you go. I see your name everywhere-you are your um um grapefruit drink!

Daren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 7:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Darren,

I am a newbie here and totally adicted thanks to nearly perfect windsurfing conditions.

I have stayed at and loved The Plaza, Divi, Habitat and Lighthouse. I head to Kon Tiki who is hosting my stay on the 17th. It is much closer to windsurfing and very quiet. The owners are amazing too.

I LOVE Ting..lived on it 24/7 when I lived in Antigua.

Ya, u r in NE for sure..

Annie
Cape Cod
:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Brown on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 3:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Annie,

I've flown Air Jamaica numerous times too. I suspect the reason the "juice" is so good is 'cause it pads those thin seats and takes the sting out of the delays.

I will say this though. Air Jamaica, while delayed regularly, won't cancel a flight for "mechanical" reasons when there are only three people flying. Others will. In fact, I've been the only one on a flight from Mo' Bay to LA. Try that going to a hub at say Houston or Chicago, not!

Gordy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Brown on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 4:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dave,

Here's the deal:

Air Jamaica flight 0058 (your flight to Mo Bay) is an A310. Flight time for 973 nautical miles at 400 knots is 2.4 hours. Air Jamaica flight 0059 from Mo Bay to Atlanta is the same plane. Since the A310 can carry 6 hours fuel they can round trip from Atlanta to Mo'Bay and back to Atlanta without fueling, if they really need to. Actually, the fuel is so much cheaper in Atlanta, that is probably what they do. So, instead of at least 30 minutes to fuel, all they need is the time to load the baggage and passengers and off they go. Since they are liberal with the ETOH, and since Mo'Bay isn't like being stuck in Chicago, nobody really seems to care too much.

Finally, since Air Jamaica has most of their maintenance on that plane done in Atlanta, you will probably make it down and back without much of a hitch. Odds are better you would get stuck in Atlanta if doing the opposite.

Gordy

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration