BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA Moving Flights
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: AA Moving Flights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5815) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok...so I just reprinted my tickets for Sunday and noticed that AA moved my flights without notifying me. They had moved Wes' flights, but sent us a notification on that. I only reprinted my tickets so Wes would have a copy of my itinerary. I'm a bit disturbed as now I have a VERY tight connection in Miami, but it is on the flight home, so I am not going to stress over it. Has anyone else had this happen to them? In the past, AA has always notified us of changes, but then again, they have never done a change that actually put a connection in jeopardy before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10779) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs, you need a strong two hours in Mia. Long lines at Customs.

(Message edited by bonaire9 on May 9, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5817) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know. I detest going through Miami. I should be clearing customs in San Juan. I have a 40 minute connection in Miami going to Chicago....grrrr!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5120) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs, since you have time (as it's your return flight), I'd call AA and see if they can get you on a later flight out of Miami.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, soon...very very soon. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5821) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great minds....I just tried that. It is a $100.00 change fee to move the flight, but if I miss my flight due to a delay on their part, they will put me on another flight for free. Lovely.... They did assure me that there were flights after mine that I could get on if I miss my connection. I got stuck overnight once in Miami because of a missed connection, don't want to do that again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7175) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs, I know that in the past when I have had tight connections at Miami, it has happened a few times, if you show the TSA guy when entering customs your ticket, they will get you through customs to make your flight. You do have to have a ticket, it doesn't work for standby vouchers. Good Luck, I have seen our "J" do this and get right to the front, boy, he knows all the ropes in getting to and from at airports. Actually, he was the one who told us about it, but since he had a ticket, he got through, we had standby, and didn't. Worth a try. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1505) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

yes, you'll clear customs in san juan. as long as the sju-mia flight is on time you should be ok (should???). like you said, it's on your flight home so you won't be as stressed. before the bon-sju-ord-cle route we used to fly bon-cur-mia-cle and had to clear customs in miami. that was one of the worst experiences in the world. it gave us an idea of what cattle in a stock yard feel like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Mizell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #107) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When airlines have changed my flights, they did not charge me to change it to suit my needs. You probably already did, but make sure AA understands they changed your ticket without notifying you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #485) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs...there should not be a change fee since AA made the change, not you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #631) on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard on the news yesterday that due to the jet fuel prices etc, AA was cutting back on more flights. One leg mentioned was 1 less flight per day each way Boston/ San Juan. Of course it was a Boston news station.

Have a fun time!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 7:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AA changed our flights without telling us in Feb. Made our connection Miami to ATL with the door closing right behind us. It is a long walk from gate to gate in Miami, as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5921) on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well....AA just changed the flights again, but this time it is Bon-San Juan that changed. They moved the flight to 6:35 am! They better have coffee on that flight. :-) :-( :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cr masheter (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, they changed our Bon-SJ flight, too. So, how should we handle returning a rental truck with such an early flight...might have to return it the day before? I was considering AB Rental, but any advice? (Poppy is already fully booked).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5922) on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm using AB and here is my plan. I will check in at the airport at 5:00 (park truck, check bags, get boarding pass, pay departure tax). Then, I will go to AB and wait until 6:00 when they open. Hopefully I will be first in line. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5329) on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AB might be open earlier if AE has changed their flights. I know that a couple years ago, they were open at 5AM for the 7AM flight.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1039) on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AB doesn't have to be open for you to return a truck. They weren't open last month when I returned from my 10th trip. I just parked the truck and dropped the key in AB's key drop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3150) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I got notification the AA flight in the Fall departs 6:35 AM. YUCK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5925) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know you can pay AB to open up early. What I don't agree with is if several of us are paying to have them open early they make a fortune off of us because they still only have one person there to accept the cars. We did this once and there were 7 of us trying to return trucks to catch the early flight and it was tight because they only sent one employee. I'd be nervous just dropping the truck off. I like to be there to have them check it back in. I don't want any "surprise" charges. I'm not saying that AB would be dishonest, because I have used them 5 times and love them. I'm just saying things happen. My girlfriend once got charged for a totaled vehicle and after heavy litigation it was discovered that the employee totaled it after she dropped it off. She used one of those express drop offs at the Phoenix airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cr masheter (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, not just in the fall for the schedule change. We're coming in July, and just received notice.

I, too, am hesitant to drop the keys in the box due to the chance of being charged for damage that we didn't do. I have emailed AB to see if they plan to open earlier, but, we might choose to drop off the day before and take a cab to the airport. Sort of a pain, but I don't think that it's feasible to wait until they open at 6 and try to make the flight, especially with the changed location of the rental offices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5331) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

6:35AM??? O...M....G....the fish aren't even awake that early!

I dropped the keys in the box one trip, I can't remember who I rented from as I've used so many different rental angencies. I took pictures of the truck all the way around just in case. I never had a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A rose by any other name..aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2436) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I rec'd 2 notices, the one mentioned and another one that AA will leave SJU at 6:15pm now, so you get into Bonaire a little earlier. I hate leaving so darn early in the morning so I add a few extra days into the trip to make up for it!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can live with leaving early. I just hope they still have the flight in Aug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A rose by any other name..aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2444) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me too Monte!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2947) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Three days after I booked our July flights, I received and E-Mail of the change in flight time. It works fine for us as we arrive in Bon a little earlier, and arrive home at the same time.... but just have to get up a little early that last Saturday morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I noticed on A.A. website that big changes such as re-routs and discontinued flights to SJ and the caribbean will start in Sept. They said notification will be given to ticket holders in advance LOL. They did not give the islands effected so keep checking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #152) on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Over the years sometimes we have gotten notification via email from AA, sometimes nothing.

But, our last trip to Bonaire in April (this year), we never received an email but got a couple of phone calls. It seems the minimum time (going to Bonaire) was 45 minutes in SJU (our trip last year we had 45 minutes and we made it and so did our luggage!). This year, our connections started out at 55 minutes but then was reduced to 35 minutes. According to the person on the phone (when we finally got someone who knew what was going on) - SJU's minimum time for a connection is now 40 minutes. He said it was 'government' regulation, but I'm not sure about that. But, we had to change our tickets (no charge) and overnight in SJU.

Bea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6294) on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

According to my sources, there's a big internal meeting scheduled in San Juan later next week for all the various island AA/AE offices/ground handling companies, so I expect we'll hear more details on how AA's cutbacks will or won't affect Bonaire's San Juan connection after that meeting.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Ruffin (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I called AA/AE yesterday regarding possible upcoming changes between San Juan/Bonaire, as we are scheduled for Christmas.
Was told they knew nothing at this time, but " not to worry, because if the San Juan/Bonaire route is canceled, they will refund our money and/or frequent flyer miles". I mentioned that would really do nothing for those scheduled on AA/AE, as most of the other airlines/flights/ would either already be filled OR the cost of the tickets would be astronomical.
"Sorry" was the response. Typical AA/AE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brad jenkins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have had our tickets for our August trip since March and they have now officially changed our flight 7 TIMES!!! We were leaving KC at 8AM and it is now 5:30AM and we have connections in ATL, MIA, and SJU before we head to bonaire. It is going to be a 14 hour trip now. What a pain!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Ruffin (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My main concern with AA/AE is the possibility they may cancel the flights from/to/ San Juan/Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brad jenkins (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have friends that work for the airlines and they dont think that will happen. They are just going to keep messing with routes in which they have multiple daily or weekly flights and not heavy loads of passengers and/or freight. I dont know what the passenger loads truly are to Bonaire but things seem pretty steady their so they wont give it up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #811) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Or go back to only 3, 4, or 5 flights a week. But, I suppose that's a whole lot better than NONE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The flight from SJ to Bon was almost full the 4 times we have used it in the past. It had divers and locals so hopefully the flight will remain intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I remember the early days when we used ALM ( all luggage missing ) to Bon. You were lucky to get a flight and or luggage. The dive ops were setup to offer free gear to you if your's did not arrive. We usually got our gear on friday before we fly out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6301) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last nights' AE flight to Bonaire had 9 people on it, according to friends who were on that flight (as responsible for one-third of the flyers).

I'm with Chet on this - I think they will decrease frequency, at least for now. But we'll undoubtedly learn more in the coming week or two...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Ruffin (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Those AE flights to/ from/ San Juan/Bonaire seem to either fly with very few ( 9 passengers) OR, as we have experienced during the Christmas holidays---having to leave passengers and/or luggage behind due to overbooking/overweight.
It seems common sense would dictate having fewer flights per week during the "off season" and more flights per week during heavy usage/vacation/holiday times.
Just a thought------------------

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5971) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just arrived on May 11 and our flight was full. Also, 2 women were on it that had been bumped from the flight previous to our flight. Isn't May low season?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6303) on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Technically, yes. Low season starts around April 15th. But weekend flights are traditionally a lot more full than mid-week flights, regardless of time of year.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6305) on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's the latest, with the good news that service to Bonaire from San Juan will continue, but not clear if on the same daily schedule or not:

AA, American Eagle to cut Caribbean service

May 29, 2008

By Gay Nagle Myers

As part of AMR's plan to cut costs at its San Juan hub, American will reduce its daily flights from 38 to 18, effective Sept. 3.

As of that date, American will no longer offer nonstop, daily service to San Juan from Baltimore/Washington, Fort Lauderdale, Newark, Orlando, Los Angeles and Washington Dulles. American will continue to offer nonstop service to San Juan from Boston, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami, New York JFK, Philadelphia and Hartford, Conn.

In the Caribbean, American will no longer serve Antigua, St. Maarten and Santo Domingo with jet service out of San Juan.

American Eagle will reduce its Caribbean schedule from 55 to 33 daily departures out of San Juan on Sept. 3. The regional carrier will eliminate daily flights from San Juan to Aruba as well as to Samana, Dominican Republic. Both destinations will continue to be served daily from Miami.

American Eagle will continue to serve San Juan with 33 daily flights to the following destinations: Anguilla; Antigua; Barbados; Bonaire; Canouan; Curacao; Dominica; Martinique; La Romana, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Santiago and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; Guadeloupe; Nevis; St. Croix; St. Kitts; St. Lucia; St. Marten; St. Thomas; Tortola; and Trinidad.

No cuts will be made in service between Miami and San Juan, and specific schedules will be published shortly, said Peter Bowler. American Eagle’s CEO.

American Eagle also plans to move some of its 66-seat Super ATR-72 turboprops to Dallas and will ground its fleet of 34-seat Saab 340s (the carrier has 26 of these planes).

In a message to employees, Bowler said that "the crisis in the airline business is real, and the steps American is taking to reduce its schedule are necessary."
(From: Travel Weekly - http://www.travelweekly.com/Article.aspx?id=174546)
See also: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-AAcuts_28bus.State.Edition1.45e6de0.html

It sucks that the Los Angeles flight from San Juan will be cut - that was such a nice and easy way to get to the West Coast from Bonaire during the week.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake for the update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A rose by any other name..aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2453) on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the details, it looks like we will just make it for the SJU-LAX flight since we fly home on 8/28! Unless between now and then they change again. Jake please keep us updated if you hear anything new.!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration