BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Spare Air on Continental
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Spare Air on Continental
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda and Jim (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope someone can help me with an answer........

I am anticipating bringing my Spare Air with me as part of our dive equipment. I understand that I must completely empty the tank and remove the regulator from the unit. I've got both pieces in a large plastic zip-lock bag, and will be included in my checked baggage.

According to the Continental website, they want to charge me $100 each way to include a "dive tank". Is this right? Has anyone else had experience having Spare Air, pony bottles or other alternative air sources in their checked baggage on Continental?

Help please.......

Linda and Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1452) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 6:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Flew with Spare Air on Continental & never had a problem nor did I ever pay a penny more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda and Jim (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been doing more research on the topic. It seems I can include it with my carry-on baggage, as well.

I think that if I keep it with me, I can explain what it is, what it does, and that I'm not really a terrorist threat.

Ideas on the best way to transport? Checked or carry on?

Linda and Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #107) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

===> checked luggage, with top off.
This should be a complete non problem...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By **Patrick who herds sharks on Bonaire** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2795) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I put mine in my checked bag, but I also let TSA know it's in the bag. Spare Air should have come in it on plastic bag for transporting it along with a paper explaining to TSA. What it is used for. Mine is about 5yrs. old. Time to get a hydro done on the tank. Glad this came up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Read what the mfr has to say:
http://www.spareair.com/product/travel.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda and Jim (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The section on baggage and sports equipment on the Continental website claims they want to charge me $100 each way for it.

Any way around that little gem? I called them last night, and even after I explained that it was a very SMALL tank, the person I spoke with told me that, yes, indeed........a SCUBA tank is a SCUBA tank, and therefore liable to the $100 charge.

Now I feel like a smuggler.........

Linda and Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Their site says:
"An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way)."

Spare Air is not a "dive tank". An AL80 is.

Ignore their website, pack it in your checked luggage (properly), and don't say anything about it.

TSA doesn't work for CO, btw...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #467) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We traveled with "spare airs" on Continental the last two years with no problem going through security...just make sure to take off the regulator so TSA can look into the canister.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1453) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda & Jim..Just pack it in checked luggage in the clear plastic casing with top removed & forget about it.
Between you & me if you start telling the people at check in that you have a "tank" you're really just asking for trouble. Sometimes the less said the better. Personally, I'd worry about other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda and Jim (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just exactly what I needed to hear, guys! And exactly what I will do.

THANKS for all the input. We're getting more excited and a little stressed since we will be beginning our first trip to Bonaire, two weeks from today.....

I know, I know........."In through the nose and out through the mouth.......deep cleansing breaths.....again......."

Linda and Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Sunday, May 4, 2008 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great thread. I have been thinking about buying a spare air but my biggest concern has been the ability to travel with it. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #571) on Sunday, May 4, 2008 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

just went and returned from Bonaire this year with Spare Air in my carry-on ( we put all our dive gear in roll on suitcase, plus bathing suit and tevas..just in case)put Spare Air in plastic zip lock bag with paperwork from the manufacturer...pack it towards the top if they need to pull your stuff apart for inspection...the inspectors sometimes ask if they don't know what it is..but def does not come under the heading of scuba tank...so don't worry..I try to keep it as clean and dust free therfore the zip lock baggie, and keep the fill adapter and top together in bubble wrap..I had my mouthpiece get cracked one time in transport...good luck and have fun in Bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2772) on Sunday, May 4, 2008 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbi,

You said, '..and keep the fill adapter and top together in bubble wrap..'.

Do I correctly understand that you did not remove the 'valve' from your Spare Air?

Has anyone had experience travelling with the small Spare Air-sized tank used in British ABLJ 'BC's, with or without removing the valve cum yoke?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #575) on Sunday, May 4, 2008 - 11:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we do remove the valve from the tank...if security want to viz the inside of the tank..have to make sure all pressure is realeased anyway..the bubble wrap just insures the heavy weight fill adapter dos'nt bang into anything and as I said my top was cracked once and so I protect that with the bubble wrap..or some soft piece of dive gear( bathing suit ?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2775) on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS, Debbi.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration