BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA new $25 for second checked bag?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: AA new $25 for second checked bag?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I shoulda been a fish! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #245) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will that affect those of us coming thru San Juan?

I was unclear about the rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #595) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AA's website still says that the free allowance for checked bags is two pieces less than 50 lbs. each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gord Alder (BonaireTalker - Post #99) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you check the web site you will find the following Question and Answer:

Q. How much will it cost to check more than two bags?

A. For flights within the United States the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada:

* $25 for the second checked piece. Exceptions apply

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/utility/041208_CheckBagFee.jsp

If your final destination with AA is Bonaire, then the second bag charge should not apply.

The wording, taken directly from the web site is not really clear. The question asks what the charges are for more than two bags, and the answer is for the second bag.

All of that to say , no charge for the second bag because the flight is International.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #137) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The best thing to do is call the airline. When this recently came up with Delta, the website was not very helpful until they had a chance to update things. But calling Delta prior to them updating their website reassured me that Delta's new 1 bag rule will not affect international travel, as long as the final destination on your ticket is international. So see what AA's policy will be. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1588) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, did your husband get certified? If he did, while on Bonaire you should try Discover SCUBA. A instructor will show you how to use the gear in a pool or shallow water, then take you out to the top of the reef and see if you like it! A $75 dollars well spent... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #138) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, unfortunately I already tried one of those courses ... in St.Maarten 3 years ago. That's when David discovered he loved scuba and I discovered it wasn't for me (at least not now). I panic in all situations ... even traffic. So imagine me 30-40 feet underwater. :-(

David is done with everything except the actual open water test, which he'll do at Divi via referral (under PADI). Then again when he gets back home (NAUI).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1589) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, Diane is claustrophobic, it took three years to get her certified! She still panic's(rare anymore). My two kids and I still went on dives, but earlly in the morning, and then spent the rest of the day with her. When she was ready to get certified she did her classroom at home and did her openwater dives in St. Croix. Diane got her C card in 1999, and has over 300 loged dives. She loves the sport, and is a good dive buddy.

It is not a natural thing, breathing underwater! A good mindset is when in the sea, the surface is the sky, and the bottom is the floor, and you are part of the environment. Fear is a natural thing in Diving! Everybody feels it on every dive! That is the reason people keep coming back to Bonaire! The reefs are great, and the fear lessens on every repeat dive! Mother sea throws in something different on each experience, and that keeps us coming back! FEEL THE FEAR AND ENJOY!!!

David won't have to do his openwater dives again at home. He will get a C card from Bonaire.(mailed to your house)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5017) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, diving is not for everyone.

April, enjoy your trip:-) I'd suggest also getting the book Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter. It also rates snorkel sites as well as dive sites on the island in beginner, intermediate, and advanced. You can buy it directly through her at www.bsdme.info, or get it most dive shops on island. You can also order it through www.bonairestuff.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1498) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

cynde, april is way ahead of the game...she already has the book and is hoping to meet susan on bonaire next week. we've been home less than a week now and i wish i was still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5022) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, good to know:-) PBD, it is a bummer....

(Message edited by cyndelee on April 30, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #139) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, thanks for sharing Diane's experiences. It's possible I could change my mind one day, but for now I'll be snorkeling. I do think diving would look a lot more appealing to me if I could wear a full face mask. That is supposedly a lot more natural to breathe with. Does anyone know anyone that uses one of those?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #140) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One more thing, David figures he may as well do the openwater test here at home too ... since he already paid for it as part of the class he took here. It's good practice and gives him a opportunity to dive again after vacation in Bonaire. Most likely, it will be another year (or more) until he could dive the caribbean ... so he'll be cold water diving or no diving. He has his own equipment already, other than tank and weights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1590) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, full fase masks are used a bunch in my area. People I know use them in Lake Michigan in the winter time. I personally don't, but have in the past. Lots of money! Have a good time on Bonaire and we will see you at 6:30 at Bobbejan's...Ron

I know, I know Boat Chick--Bobbejan's is not for everyone :-)

(Message edited by ronindiana on April 30, 2008)

(Message edited by ronindiana on April 30, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #141) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, it's encouraging to hear of people out there who do use them. Being that you personally have tried one in the past ... did it feel better?

Does Bobbejan's have chicken, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5023) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, you made me smile:-) sorry, I apologize for my comment earlier, bad day.

April, St. Marteen isn't exactly the best place to try scuba. I've been there, dove there, and it was ok, but certainly NOT the best conditions. Maybe when you see how clear the water is on bonaire, and all of the beautiful fish on the reef, you will be more relaxed. You cannot even compare the two (st. marteen and bonaire).

Ron, oh, and Bobby Jans IS for everyone, again, my apologies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 6:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I definitely felt rushed in that Discover class. And we did not even start in shallow water, it was off a boat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1591) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Full face mask is not for comfort. Cold water diving is the main purpose. It protect as much face as possible from cold water. The main reason they are not popular is that a back up regulator can't be use with that set up... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1592) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No apologies are needed! I need a good slap once in a while... LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5024) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 10:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, I bet you had rough seas to boot! There is no reef system in St. Marteen, so they take you to sunken barges and boats...I liked the dives, to me, any dive is better than no dive because I'm a dive freak, but for discover scuba, probably not.

Maybe try it after you get comfortable on Bonaire (if you are up for it). I think you're gonna like Bonaire:-)

My husband and I have been looking at full face masks for our local dives, and so we can yell at each other underwater too...lol... (he wants the communication systems with them, I'm thinking it might be a bad idea).

Anyway, a BTer from Canada bought one, used it on Bonaire and said it was HOT.

April, if it's the water on your face that bothers you, baby steps. When you take a full scuba course you get time in the pool to practice and get used to the feeling. I taught swimming for years, and the first time I had to put the regulator in my mouth and dip underwater, my mind said "no, this is not normal." I took a few trys before I would actually do it, and I was a swim teacher and love the water. Once I was able to to it, no problem. The other problem I had initially was the mask removal underwater, again, mental. So sat at the bottom of the pool and practiced until it felt natural.

The mind is a good thing, but sometimes it just doesn't want to cooperate! lol!

Good luck.

ron, you need to add a * by your name...lol ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1593) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, just remember when you are snorkeling, you are using the same type of mouthpeice as on a scuba reg. Maybe rent a Bubblemaker setup and try that for a time? Get comfortable in the water during your trip, and have David go with you on discover scuba. Talk to your instructor and tell them the same things you told us! I'm sure your experiance will be positive if you do. Good luck, and remember you can do it... Ron

Boat Chick, I am marked for life*** Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #143) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 9:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Never thought about not having the backup, Ron ... good point.

Cynde, I don't recall the sea being rough. I ended up snorkeling around the dive boat while everyone else was scuba diving. Only fish I remember seeing were hundreds and hundreds of sergent majors.

I don't plan on trying scuba this time. I will just enjoy every other aspect of Bonaire on land, as well as what I can see snorkeling.

We leave Sat morning, arrive on Bonaire Sat afternoon. We're a little nervous, but very excited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5046) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, you are marked for life...lol!

April, you must have gone when the sea was calm. When we were there, we had seven foot seas! It was like an E ticket at Disneyland getting back to the dock:-)

Have a wonderful trip, and enjoy:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #145) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 11:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seas that rough would have traumatized me, lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5048) on Thursday, May 1, 2008 - 11:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, that is what I envisioned when you said you did a Discover Scuba in St Marteen...lol...it's not so bad once you get down 20 feet or so...it's a challenge and fun getting back on the boat. We used Dive Safari, and the tide was in when we came back, and we all had to run to the front of the boat to clear the bridge coming back in....life is an adventure:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #996) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 6:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, I was like you and snorkeled while my son and David were diving. But I found I could not get deep enough to see things clearly. Had some difficulty because of claustraphobia but slowly overcame it all. I was also 49 y/o when I learned to dive and thought I was to old to dive. Well I am still diving and am now 62 and love it. They will have to pull me out of the water kicking and screaming when I am 92, at least I hope they do.

Enjoy the snorkeling on Bonaire, it is great too. We do enjoy an occasional snorkel especially if just want to cool off.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Andy. There is still hope for me yet to become a scuba diver ... just not at the present moment. Another item on my "bucket list" is sky diving. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE IN MA (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2544) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April,
The snorkeling in Bonaire is incredible!!!!! I see every bit as much as the divers if not more and get pictures ta boot! Just do a search on my trip reports and have a look. I was just there in March and also last October. I have been there 17 times and have never been disappointed. I do suggest doing guided snorkels with Renee ( www.reneesnorkletrips.com )or sailing on the Woodwind ( www.woodwindbonaire.com )as they know where all the little critters are.
Have fun and enjoy the beautiful waters of Bonaire!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1598) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The snorkeling in Bonaire is incredible!!!!! I see every bit as much as the divers if not more and get pictures ta boot!

Darlene takes some great picture's, but I'm still waiting for her to post the photo's from inside the Hooker!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5057) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, not everyone likes snorkeling.

i think i just snorted again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1599) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Diving in Bonaire is incredible!!!!! I see every bit as much as the snorkelers if not more and get pictures of my boot! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5062) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, will we see pictures of your boot when we see pictures of Darlene from the inside of the Hooker?

lol...so much for the price of an extra bag on AA...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #147) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 9:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do have a night snorkel scheduled with Renee and am really looking forward to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey! I thought this thread was about bag charges

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Somehow it got a bit off track. Way off track. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #304) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tickets purchased after May 12 have a 1 bag limit (free). $25/bag for 2+.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris keen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #106) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AA has no charge for 2 bags per person on international flights...there is a charge if you're flying domestic.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration