BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Air ALM disruption
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Air ALM disruption
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Redford on Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Am flying Air ALM in October. There seems to have been a fair bit of disruption to their Miami schedule over the last few days. Is everything OK with their Miami route?
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 6:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is a big mess right now, but by October, it should be better. To avoid any real problems, you may want to check out air jamiaica or AA to Curacao. Just as a comment. United, a code share airline with ALM also seems to be having a few problems as well...it seems to be catching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Made a request for tickets for Oct14 from a tavel agent for tickets fling ALM out of JFK. The connection is thru Miami, gets us to Bonire around 3 pm. I am told this flight starts Oct 4 and is the same rate we paid in May.It's thru Boneventure. I'm a glutton for punishment, never give up n ALM, any thoughts, talked about the AA and air jamacia flights. How is the luggedge problem with Air Jamacia working out?She was not aware of any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Ceil on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been going through this for 13 years! With all of the recent cost cutbacks at ALM, I would think that it will not be getting better any time soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pasha Sinclair on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 4:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is this 'disruption'? We are scheduled to leave for Bonaire through Miami on Sept. 7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, August 14, 2000 - 7:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So I am the glutton for punishment,for over 10yrs been traveling with ALM, but they always get us and all our stuff there and back with only some minor problems recently, not do to them, knock on wood! I booked the American from JFK to Miami Alm to Bonaire arriving at 3:00 on Oct14 ! Never arrived before 5, nice change, hope it works. The service starts Oct.4. Keeping my fingers crossed, "Luck of the draw" Same price as our May tickets. This time I delt with Kim at Caradonna Caribbean Tours(800/328-2288) What a pleasure! She knew exactly where and what I was talking about, usually I have to do the explaining and suggestions on ways to get to Bonaire. We will use her again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pasha Sinclair on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, Amy at Caradonna has been more than helpful also. It's great to deal with someone who has actually been to the places you're going and has great suggestions to make your trip a little easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can attest to the fact that Caradonna Caribbean Tours is very knowledgeable about travel to Bonaire. I have used them to handle our arrangements for our first, upcoming trip this October. It was a pleasure dealing with Amy. She was attentive, quick, informed and courteous. I would recommend Caradonna to anyone who might be considering making arrangements to visit Bonaire. They can be reached at 800-328-2288. They will handle all land, air and ground transportation arrangements for you in a timely manner. Can't wait to finally visit Bonaire this October.......we have been planning this trip for almost two years now! Everyone on this Board has been so helpful and generous. Never could have planned the trip without you folks! Thanks again to all of you. Carole Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Palm on Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our Oct. 21 ALM flight to Bonaire also. I've dealt with Amy at Caradonna Tours for the last 5 years. I read an article on The Bonaire Reporter about ALM changing flight schedules sometime in August and checked their website the other day and they went to the end of October. My return flight is Nov. 4. Maybe I can't get home--not too bad either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last February I booked my trip to Bonaire with Kim at Caradonna. She was very pleasant and knowledeable of all aspects of vacationing in Bonaire. As far as I am concerned, if you are going to Bonaire, Caradonna is the ticket!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peggy Bowen on Wednesday, August 16, 2000 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with people above -- Caradonna takes the hassle out of tickets to Bonaire. No matter who you deal with, they are friendly and very knowledgeable. Since I don't hear on the phone all that well, I handle things by e-mail and fax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Pietrala on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it seems like my experience with ALM was not totally unique. After only one full day on the island we were informed that ALM may be going on strike or shutting down totally. So, to error on the side of safety we cut our vacation short. We were supposed to leave on August 17 with ALM. So, my question is: Did a plane to Miami actually leave from Bonaire on the 17th? We continued our vacation in Florida, and left Miami International as we had previously scheduled. We checked the ALM counter, but no one was there. Did they actually shut down?

If anyone can help answer this I would really appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Adam Pietrala

Responses can be posted or sent directly to adp148@psu.edu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The flights on Thursday's are always connections through Curacao. Saturday is the only direct flight between Bonaire and Miami. ALM has not shut down but we have all been hovering under this cloud of doom for a couple months or more. I haven't heard of any of the Miami flights being cancelled since the mess last weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vick on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda

What was the mess last weekend ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Ceil on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been trying to explore the option of using Air Jamaica for our trip in February. Has anyone used the Air Jamaica flights from Miami to Bonaire and return?? In our discussions with AirJ, they have indicated that they can get us from MIA-BON with no problem, but that the return trip from BON-MIA would require an overnight stay in Montego Bay. I have seen discussions on this site about short connections, but in our case the AirJ people are saying there is NO connection the same evening. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Ceil on Friday, August 18, 2000 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been trying to explore the option of using Air Jamaica for our trip in February. Has anyone used the Air Jamaica flights from Miami to Bonaire and return?? In our discussions with AirJ, they have indicated that they can get us from MIA-BON with no problem, but that the return trip from BON-MIA would require an overnight stay in Montego Bay. I have seen discussions on this site about short connections, but in our case the AirJ people are saying there is NO connection the same evening. Any suggestions? (Note: we have gone thru 13 years of ALM nonsense - we can't bear the thought of it getting worse.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 8:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

see the previoius discussion re legal connecton. Also, check with one of the wholesalers who sell Bonaire. They seem to have no problems. The list follows: C

aradonna Caribbean ToursAnne Caradonna435 Douglas Ave., Ste. 2205Altamonte Springs, FL 32714Phone: (800) 328-2288; (407) 774-9000Fax: (407) 682-6000URL: www.travelfile.com/get?cturse-mail: Caradonna@aol.com Divi HolidaysNo contact name at this time…6340 Quadrangle, Ste. 300Chapel Hill, NC 27514Phone: (800) 367-3484; (919) 419-3484Fax: (919) 419-2075URL: www.diviresorts.come-mail: jim@diviresorts

Caribbean Dive ToursRon Grzelka/Mark Parker732 Johnson Ferry RoadMarietta, GA 30068Phone: (800) 786-3483; (770) 578-8028Fax: (770) 565-0129URL: n/ae-mail: wetworld@mindspring.com Caribbean AdventuresJenny Darby/Margo10400 Griffin Rd. , Ste. 109Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33328Phone: (954) 434-8733Fax: (954) 434-4282URL: www.worlddive.come-mail: jen@worlddive.com

Great Southern AdventuresAndy Repetto120 North Congress Street, Ste. 510Jackson, MS 39201Phone: (800) 748-8733; (601) 353-7547Fax: (601) 353-7559URL: under constructione-mail: grtadvtr@teclink.net GoGo Worldwide VacationsBob Lawrence69 Spring StreetRamsey, NJ 07446-0507Phone: (201) 934-3500Fax: (201) 934-3888URL: www.GoGoWWV.come-mail: n/a

Maduro Dive Fanta-SeasRichard Mitsoda4500 Biscayne Blvd., Ste. 320Miami, FL 33137Phone: (800) 327-6709; (305) 438-4222Fax: (305) 438-4220URL: www.empg.com/maduroe-mail: maduro@netpoint.net Ocean ConnectionSandy Llewellyn211 East Parkwood, #108Friendswood, TX 77546Phone: (800) 695-5332; (281) 996-7800Fax: (281) 996-1556URL: www.oceanconnection.come-mail: adventure@oceanconnection.com

Oceans of Diving/DRSCheryl Arscott5601 Powerline Rd., #26Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309Phone: (800) 466-1400; (954) 489-7728Fax: (954) 351-9740URL: n/ae-mail: oceans@netrunner.net PADI Travel NetworkChristine Grange30151 Tomas StreetRancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688Phone: (800) 729-7234; (949) 858-7234Fax: (949) 858-9311URL: www.padi.com e-mail: ptni@padi.com

Oceans of Diving/DRSCheryl Arscott5601 Powerline Rd., #26Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309Phone: (800) 466-1400; (954) 489-7728Fax: (954) 351-9740URL: n/ae-mail: oceans@netrunner.net PADI Travel NetworkChristine Grange30151 Tomas StreetRancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688Phone: (800) 729-7234; (949) 858-7234Fax: (949) 858-9311URL: www.padi.com e-mail: ptni@padi.com

Tropical Adventure TravelBrian Yesland111 Second Ave., NorthSeattle, WA 98109Phone: (206) 441-3483Fax: (206) 441-5431URL: www.divetropical.come-mail: dive@divetropical.com TravelPlan DiversDebby Aharon103 Cotton StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19172Phone: (215) 483-8312Fax: (215) 483-8852URL: http//members.aol.com/dcaharon/tpde-mail: dcaharon@aol.com

Rothschild TravelKathy Rothschild900 West End Avenue, Suite 1-BNew York, NY 10025Phone: (800) 359-0747, (212) 662-4858Fax: (212) 749-6172URL: www.divesafaris.come-mail: rothschild@divesafaris Tropical Tours, Inc.Art Shore15844 FM 529Houston, TX 77095Phone: (281) 855-6900Fax: (281) 855-9139URL: www.tropical.scubamaster.come-mail: diver@neosoft.com

Wreck DivingJennifer4424 N. WoodwardRoyal Oak, MI 48073Phone: (800) 999-0303Fax: (248) 549-7005URL: www.recdiving.come-mail: dive@recdiving.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Saturday, August 19, 2000 - 8:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I used Expedia with no problem...plus it allows you to view all of your options...
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Chalk on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 7:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,

FYI, Maduro's e-mail has changed. It is now maduro@gate.net

See ya

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanne Panizzera on Sunday, August 20, 2000 - 11:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Returned from Bonaire Aug. 6. Five consecutive years with no real problems on ALM and this year it was a different story. They were 2.5 hrs. late leaving Curacao on our return which caused us to nearly miss (by 5 mins.!) our Miami connection on American Airlines. Thank goodness customs was a rare "breeze" this time, and that AA had efficient, customer-focused staff; they came thru and hustled us on to our flight. In Curacao, we sat on the ALM plane (after waiting in the airport for 2.5 hrs.) for another 1/2 hr. When we asked why we were waiting, we were told, "We are waiting for more passengers." What's that!? So, we are DONE with ALM, but not Bonaire. Thank you American Airlines!

By the way, Bonaire was great as usual. We are Capt. Don's regulars and were impressed at the recovery they've made from Lenny's wrath. Better now than before! Impressed with the new docks and many other improvements including a new outdoor bar. Yes, the shallows have plenty of rubble, but also an incredible abundance of juvenile life...it's truly a macro paradise. Also, more octopi than I've ever seen before. We spent most of our week right on the house reef and just had a blast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andrew reppeto on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 2:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey michael - thanks for the mention ... but the correct email and URL for GREAT SOUTHERN ISLAND ADVENTURES is the following:

email - info@bonairepros.com
website - www.bonairepros.com

mailing address and phone numbers are correct. the website is presently being finished with an overhaul - new content should be up by early september.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rene koiter on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 10:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

could you help me please. we would like to go to bonaire from aruba is this possible . would like to stay for a couple of days is ALM airlines going there thank you so much.

rene koiter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, August 22, 2000 - 11:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ALM iz your only option at this point. Most flights stop in Curacao...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Goodenough on Wednesday, November 7, 2001 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've emailed Amy at Caradonna and also tried the Caradonna web page, but get no reply. Does anyone know what's up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Wednesday, November 7, 2001 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amy just got back from a well-deserved vacation, give her a ring tomorrow. (ext 114)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Wednesday, November 7, 2001 - 10:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, Amy was off to some islands off the Dominican Republic for a few days of "work" for the agency...it was a "working vacation" so to speak. She returne to the office Wednesday afternoon. Giver her a shout on Thursday, OK? Good luck. I hope she can help you. She is very good at what she does. I had to speak to her today about our trip that had to be cancelled due to my "dental hell" emergency. Try her again. Tell her I said "hi" again! Carole

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration