BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: What is the best way to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: What is the best way to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels on Sunday, February 3, 2002 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I live in Connecticut and I am having trouble finding good service to Bonaire. From reading the other postings on BonaireTalk it seems like I should not take ALM. The AA service via San Juan leaves at outrageous hours in which you lose almost a whole day just for traveling. I have taken Air Jamaica before, and they have been about 2 hours late coming into Bonaire. I have heard about 3 new airlines: Avia Air, Divi Divi Air, and Royal Aruban Airlines. They are small planes, what about all of the dive luggage? I have also heard to rule out the ferry unless you have really strong sea legs, which I don't have. I hope someone can pose some advice for me. Thanks!

AngelCity101@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Sunday, February 3, 2002 - 11:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daren...We got a good price on American, Boston through San Juan, PR to Bonaire - $386 RT or so. To me it seems like the best option at this time. We will see next May.

We have flown Air Aruba, ALM, and Air Jamaica.

Air Aruba is gone.

Had no problems with several flights on ALM but that was before the last set of money problems and equipment repossessions. Many friends did have luggage problems and cancelled flights, etc during the last 6 years or so.
We have decided not to use them until things settle down - if they ever do.

Air Jamaica - Only one carry-on allowed and a camera bag does count as a second bag in spite of what Air Jamaica told me and my travel agent.
They do seem to usually hold flights - a lot of flights. Seems like a re-schedule might be called for to eliminate the need to hold flights so often.
We ran from one plane to the next (we were over an hour late in arriving in Jamaica from Bonaire). They had held the flight for 30 minutes or so as I recall. Our bags even made it much to our surprise. Because of the one carry-on limit and because I guess I just want the least amount of hassle and worry when I am on vacation, we have decided not to use them again.

That sort of leaves us with AA. Sure hope they work out. We are running out of options at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels on Sunday, February 3, 2002 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clay,
Thank you very much for you bit of advice. The same thing happened with my family when we were coming home! The fares are cheap now-but the thing is we are going in July, Saturday to Saturday because of our timeshare rules. I have found that fares during the middle of the week are less expensive. I am interested about those new tiny charter flights between Aruba and Bonaire. I also am wondering about Aserca Airlines from Venezuela. The last time I was in Bonaire I saw one land. Thanks!

Daren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Sunday, February 3, 2002 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Aserca comes only a few times a year as a charter - last time for a big wedding.
Latest on connection from Caracas mentioned by the Tourist Office is Sol de America - I found their web site
http://www.losroques-sol.com/bonaire.htm - as you can see, only 2 times a week for the moment
Avia Air comes once every day - leaving Aruba at 7pm - leaving Bonaire at 8.15pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels on Sunday, February 3, 2002 - 9:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any thoughts on the cheapest way to get to Bonaire by air in July on a Saturday for two weeks, leaving from New York City area? I'd like to avoid going through Miami and at the same time get to Bonaire in the early afternoon. Had some bad experiences in Miami and would like to stay away from there if possible. Any way of doing this without spending all of my vacation $$$?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, February 4, 2002 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

American to San Juan, then American Eagle to BON?

Air Jamaica to Montego Bay, then onto BON?

I don't know which days they fly there, but that's where I'd check. Also you could check into the new JetBlue flights to San Juan, then AE to BON, for fare comparison. Again, depends on which days AE flies SJ-BON.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels on Monday, February 4, 2002 - 10:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Josie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daren-
I'm confused...what are you looking for: the cheapest way to get to Bonaire, OR one where you don't lose a whole day travelling? I think you just need to accept thet you're going to lose the travelling days. In past years I always took the AA flight that left Curacao around 2 or 3:00 to Miami, but I swear, at least half the time that Miami to Boston flight was cancelled and I never got in to Boston before 2:00 am. NOT worth it. I'd rather leave BON at 7:00am. Without layovers you're in the air about 6 hours anyway. Now as for cheap, I've had good luck with AA. Lowest I paid was $313 rt. Especially since you're going in the summer, you should find good fares. Just monitor the websites (aa.com, airjamaica.com, travelocity.com, etc.). Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brad charles on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 7:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First time..My wife and I are just now trying to put together a trip for the end of march, are we out of our minds? So far the best deal we can find is $827 per person out of KC,MO.
Should we keep trying is it worth it? We like to dive but are not avid about it.
Brad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Someone told me this week that AJ is (will be?) flying direct from Philadalphia to Bonaire (with a stop, not a connection) in MoBay. Might be a possibility from NYC, via Philly.

Whatever it takes to get to BON is worth it!!! We left home at 4:30 am, arrived here 8:45 pm. Still, all in one day.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration