BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: What food can you bring through customs?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: What food can you bring through customs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt back to Bon 4/19 (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am thinking about bringing a cooler with us with some fruit, cold cuts, coffee, tea and a few other things. I know there isn't much of any agriculture on the island but I was wondering if bringing in this type of food could be a problem or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As far as I know there are no restrictions on what you can take to Bon. I had frozen cold cuts, hotdogs, and cheese in a soft cooler in my checked baggage. I know others that have brought large coolers with burgers and steak. I don't know about fruit though.

They are pretty strict in SJU on your way back into the states. They don't want you to bring any meat or fruits back into the country. My brother-in-law was allowed through customs with some bleu cheese pizza from Pizza Temple. They did pull him aside to check it first though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just found this info on Den Laman's page. It states that you there is no restriction for bringing fruits and vegetables to Bonaire.

http://www.denlaman.com/Trip_Information.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly * (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #922) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Silly thing I ever heard of (except Turduchen)...You can get ALL you have listed and much more...there is a new fresh fruit/veggie store just North of Playa, Cultimari and Warehouse carry almost everything else.... except decent sausage. In my opinion you are wasting time and money bringing in anything but dive gear and money..... a change of clothes is optional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5315) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly...I brought the Turducken one year!
But with today's customs and weight regulations....:-(
I agree we have to pack "tighter"...I refuse to give up bringing the bagels and mounds bars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3002) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are no restrictions however with some airlines it is a bit hairy getting all your luggage. I know there is a whitefish somewhere in missing luggage with my name on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kaye (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #219) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,

Did you ask them to use a sniffer dog to find your whitefish (maybe a dog not necessary, depending on how long it's been missing).

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kaye (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #220) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Back on subject: We always bring lots of frozen entrees that we've prepared ourselves, most recently in a checked 12 qt hard cooler inside a small rolling duffel bag. Knock on wood, in 12 trips to the Caribbean our food has never gone astray, nor have we had any incoming customs problems.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I shoulda been a fish! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #241) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like bringing my own snacks. Bonaire just doesnt have decent cookies and jerky, etc. The milk is scary and you really have to watch the expiration dates on the food.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt, 16 days and I'm there! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #620) on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have in the past brought smoked meats and a whole filet mignon, along with specialty cheeses, bagels and lox and lots of Costco trail mix for after dive snacks. Now that I have learned how and where to shop, what I bring is limited to things like homemade gumbo; things that take too long to cook and have ingredients I don't know where to find. It turns out shopping is part of the fun of the vacation. Who knew?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly * (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #923) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl, you are hopeless anyway <g>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Reg (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

just what we need....another "Americanized" island :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1768) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you want to bring your own snacks, I don't know why anybody would want to stop you, but it really is pretty fun to troll the market for novel treats. The only trouble I have is that I'm a vegetarian and hopelessly dependent on English...get that cool tin of cheese home to find out it's pickled spleen or something.

Kelly, buddy, if that's the silliest thing you've ever heard, we've got to get you out more...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly * (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #924) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please note CB I said silly, not dumb. Ed reflects my feelings as to Bonaire and the few remaining Caribbean paradise spots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1772) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just joshing you, Kelly. I agree with you guys, but let the fella have his Ho-Ho's if he wants...

When we get there my Eric makes a bee line to the Cultimara for some weird snack food he can only find on Bonaire, says it is the perfect compliment for beer.

I got him some two gulp bottles of Budweiser last week to get him in training for those cute little Amstel bottles.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly * (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #925) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 7:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My favorite "take homes" are the boxes of chocolate covered capsules, "Kinders", with Simpson figures inside... at the Warehouse... I am "Da Man" when I give those to the kids <g>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1776) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly I'm gonna look for those.

Could you tell me specifically where the new fruit and vegetable store is, or is it obvious? I'll look forward to that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly * (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #926) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's GREEN and on the left leaving Playa...best I can do until I go by tomorrow... will try to memmber it's name

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7071) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here ya go, CB. This is from the Bonaire Insider.
http://www.bonaireinsider.com/index.php/bonaireinsider/category/Shopping/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1777) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks! I'm excited! I don't go to Bonaire to eat, but I do miss good fresh produce when I'm there. So I'll look forward to visiting this place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Hall (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 7:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

Just in case anyone is reading this thread about the new fruit and veg place, well it has now sadly closed.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration