BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Bonaire airport taxes---???
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Bonaire airport taxes---???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt, 22 days and I'm there! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #614) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I understand the departure tax needs to be payed. What is the deal as of today for paying this tax? Departure ticket in hand, then to the tax window? Or just the opposite? Can I no longer pre-pay, by a day or two, the departure tax? Curious minds want and need to know. And thanks for any and all answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Stanfield (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #148) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grunt,
As of three weeks ago you have to have your boarding pass before you can pay the exit tax. I have had two long talks with the supervisor of the tax collections regarding the wasted time of the guests on the Island and why they will not allow prepayment. Their excuse is they want to make sure everyone is paying the correct tax and can only do that if they see the boarding pass. I pointed out that I understood their need to make sure people were not cheating on the tax but if a person is willing to pay the maximum tax of $34.00 how can the Island loose money. The response was they had not thought about that but would discuss it. So far after about four months or so of the process being changed to require the boarding pass I assume the change is still being discussed.

I am sure I am more picky than most regarding the change. Yet during my last four trips I have personally observed visitors get completely out of control in the tax line because they were having to wait twice; once in the boarding pass line and again in the tax line. This resulted in a lot of non productive yelling at the wrong people and have visitors leave the Island on in a bad mood verses thinking about all the fun they had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 8:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had friends try to pay a day or so before departure and they were refused. When we departed on March 26th, I was able to pay that morning before we checked in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By April (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 8:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought it was $32. Did it go up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #701) on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 7:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Didn't I read somewhere that you can pre pay it if you have a Saturday flight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4810) on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 10:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

April, it went up. there is now a $2 (or somewhere close to that) security tax. They bundle it together when you pay the departure tax.

Mary, it was reported, that on Saturday mornings, since they have so many flights, you can pay before you get your boarding pass, only on that morning. So you still have to wait in 2 lines.

Michael, thank you for taking the time to discuss this with the officials. I certainly hope they take your advice and look at it more closely. It really doesn't make much sense, as you have to have your departure tax ticket when you board, and it is a hassle to wait in 2 lines when you leave. Definitly more stress. In January, we waited for our boarding pass, and I kept looking at the kiosk line stressing, wondering if it was going to get longer...add having to return your rental car at o-dark thirty as well...ugh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #614) on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 6:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Also on Sunday mornings the airport is very busy. No problem paying ahead of time. There was no line at the tax window the Sunday before or the Sunday we left. They had 2 people at the window, one taking cash, the other charges. The biggest problem was returning the rental. Matter of fact we were able to pay the week before we left as we had a drop off for an early Sunday am flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2751) on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 9:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jan,

More words, please. You said:

'No problem paying ahead of time.' and 'Matter of fact we were able to pay the week before we left as we had a drop off for an early Sunday am flight.'

Do I understand correctly that you paid a full week in advance, without a boarding pass? (I gather you were dropping off other passengers that Sunday.)

Or just on your departure Sunday, without a pass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6639) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 12:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, I think Jan might be referring to paying the car rental account one week before they dropped off the car before the early Sunday a.m. flight...I might be misreading her post, however.

If one does do this with the car you might risk being charged for damages later on unless someone just inspects the vehicle at the drop off and does not have to process paperwork and payments, etc. I'm not certain...

Jan, were you on the CON flight at 6:00 by any chance?

Is the airport crowded for the CON 6:00 am Sunday flights out? Thaanks. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6640) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 12:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmmmm, I read Jan's post again and now I am confused, as well. Could be the airport tax was paid ahead, and not the rental car....hmmmm...cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #615) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry about that, Sometimes my fingers hit the keys faster than the brain.

Anyways.. on Sunday 3/9/08, Hubby and I brought our daughter and boyfriend to the airport for the AA flight. The place was packed. They were allowing those without boarding passes to purchase the departure tax. So we got in the very small line, gave the $$$, and was given our departure tax coupons. Our flight wasn't for another week.

The next Sunday (3/16/08) when we left, there were 2 Continental flights, a KLM, the AA eagle, and maybe the DAE, all there at once. It was a cluster______!!! The car rental area was so packed, some had to wait in line in the trucks as they could not drive through the area. We got to the airport at 4:50 am. By the time we got our boarding passes, and I returned the truck (those picking up were nice enough to let those dropping off get out of the rental area)got through security, we had 10 minutes before we were called to board the AA Eagle. The only place that there was no line was at the Departure Tax window. Go figure. So. for those coming in on the red-eyes, if you are so concerned, before you leave the airport, go to the Departure Tax window, and see if they will let you pay for the tax. Just don't let on that you are just got there.

I think that in 2009, we will try & leave during the week, when it is not so busy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #616) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The car rental had been paid in full on the day of pick up. So the process of drop off took like 3 minutes (after standing in line for 45 minutes).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4825) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jan, wow....yuck!

On our last trip we flew AE out on Monday morning. The kiosk line only had one person, and the line was only about 10 deep. The AE check in line was as it usually is. No line to drop the car off at Budget. So leaving during the week sounds like it may be a better option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2752) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS, Jan.

It seems that 'too many tourists for the infrastructure' applies now to both the cruise ships and the airport. ALM was an adventure in the '80s but I would return to that over Saturdays and Sundays at Bonaire's Disneyland. And more of both to come???!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2992) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 12:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glenn..remember the old days when there was no security? Of course, we did have ALM to contend with..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 5:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I remember the old days when there wasn't a control tower... just the Green Parrot Bar....oh yes!!!!
Bill
See you tomorrow Bonaire...xxxooo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh and I forgot Cai Cai meeting everyone with his white uniform and golden tooth and sweet Bonairian voice...
B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6644) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, do you still have Glen's rum down there? Glen said Joe and I could have it when we arrive in a few weeks! LOL.

Only kidding, Glen....we don't even drink any longer! LOL. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2753) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No problem, Carole!

What I last left with Michael was a wee tot of fairly old single malt. We KNOW that quickly went to a better place!!!

(Message edited by glenr on April 4, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2994) on Saturday, April 5, 2008 - 9:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay...Bill, you won't be here until the 6th..Carole, Glenn only drinks single malts and the little bit he left is a fond memory. I do have two bottles of 18 year old that I am saving..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Innkeeper Linda...loving the turtles (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1348) on Saturday, April 5, 2008 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's Saturday and I just returned from taking the girls to the airport. I was able to get their airport tax stubs AND our stubs for next week.....without boarding passes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2755) on Saturday, April 5, 2008 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And the fun of making sure that you got on one of ALM's little planes from Curacao to Bonaire by at least the last flight of the day. Dash-8s and Skyvans, as I remember.

And your baggage brought over by the DC-9 late that night, delivered to your hotel.

And no cruise ships or high rises.

Ah, those were the days...

Don't remember if they sold single-malt on island then, so it may not have been a perfect time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2995) on Saturday, April 5, 2008 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I always brought my own,....

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration