BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Frequent flyer miles Houston--Bonaire??
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Frequent flyer miles Houston--Bonaire??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nell Keene (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #104) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have lots of Alaska air miles and no matter how far in advance
I try to call, there are never any seats for using Alaska air
miles on Continental (partner airlines)

has anyone ever been able to use them on this flight?

The Alaska partner desk agent said Continental is only obligated to
award travel on 10% of their flights and did not know if any were
ever available to Bonaire via Houston.

thanks
Nell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By F. Keaton (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nell,

We were able to use Delta miles and they are Continental partners. There shouldn't be any difference between partner airlines. The trick is to go in the off-season, I think, when seats are not in such demand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nell Keene (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 5:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we go in September--which I thought was off season.
what month did you go, and how far in advance did you book it?

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I used Northwest Airlines WorldPerks frequent flier miles to fly free round trip in March 2007. It cost me 70,000 miles to fly round trip from Minneapolis to Houston to Bonaire and back on Continental (Friday night redeye on the way down, Saturday morning on the way back).

Minimum miles needed are 35,000 for a round trip to the Caribbean, but OF COURSE there weren't any of THOSE seats available, so I had to pay the "Rule Buster" price of 70,000 miles.

I believe I booked about two months in advance, and I booked through Northwest via a real human on the phone. I couldn't get the Continental flight to show up on nwa.com.

Amy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris keen (BonaireTalker - Post #97) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I booked my upcoming June trip & also my January '09 trip with AA. I book the day the flights are available, which is 329 days prior. Got the tickets for 30K miles each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt, 22 days and I'm there! (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #613) on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife used her miles to book Continental for the redeye from Houston with no problems; first class even! She also booked as soon as the seats were available using miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By F. Keaton (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 4:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sent you an e mail about this, Nell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nell Keene (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #106) on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

yes, CONTINENTAL has mileage awards available but
you cannot use ALASKA miles for them, even though they are a partner airline.

I just talked to Continental and they have awards available (including for the flight I just booked in September)
for their customers but not partner airlines.

I also just checked with Alaska for anything available 2009 for Houston--Bonaire and they have no awards.

I did not realize that partner awards were so limited or non existent.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration