BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Connections from St Martin.
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Connections from St Martin.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1195) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just found out that Spirit Airlines will begin flying out of our local airport on LI to St Martins.
I was wondering about connections to Bonaire from
St Martins if any.
I am hoping that it may not be too complicated.
and wondering about the pricing.
The non-stop redeye out of Newark has worked wonderflly, but this would save a 2 hr trip to NJ for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6254) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check www.flydae.com. I believe they fly to St Martin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1196) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Cecil, I am looking into the scheduals to St Martin from LI and then that connection.
Maybe it is do able.
I'll let you all know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1197) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just checked with Spirit website and as of now they don't show any flights from LI to St. Martin.
I'll keep checking.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #553) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine
It looks like the track would be DAE through Curacao or American Eagle through San Juan. Just adding another airport, airline etc. to the trip. There ain't no free lunch getting to Bonaire.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt back to Bon 4/19 (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's from LGA, not McArthur. It's a bit cheaper than CO, but there is a 2 hour layover in Miami so the trip becomes almost 9 hours. Then you still have to get to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6629) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Lorraine....will you two be there while we are on island? Hope so! We're on the CON flight both ways. Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #187) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, I have traveled a bit from Bonaire to Sint Maarten and back, as well as onward from Sint Maarten to other islands. I have always used DAE, although Insel Air also offers service to and from Curacao.

With the exception of one time, the trip has always had some "little problem." Bags don't make the change in Curacao, and then come 24 hours later on the next flight.

In December my AM flight Curacao-Sint Maarten was cancelled for a four-day weekend trip. It was protected on an evening flight, although I had to ask that they also move my Bon-Cur flight (they had me sitting in Curacao for about 9 hours). Then when I finally got to Curaco, they told us the flight was another five hours delayed, because a plane in the Dominican Republic (I think) had problems, so they took our plane to fly another route, while we sat. When the plane returned after flying the different route, then they took us to Sint Maarten. I was originally scheduled to arrive at 8:30 AM that day, and ending up arriving at 11:00 PM, shortening my long weekend to three days.

If I'm flying out of Sint Maarten to another location, then I always make sure that I have a day or two there to make sure I can make the connection and my luggage has had time to catch up with me.

Cost at that time was FL 550.00, about USD 309.00 per person.

So, to make a long story short, if your intention is to get to Bonaire, my personal recommendation is not to do it through Sint Maarten.

Susan

P.S. Departure Tax out of Sint Maarten is astronomical to pay for their new airport. I think it was something like $25.00 and that's for the domestic departure tax. International is much higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1198) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the replies, still looks like the Continental is our best bet.
It seems like you have to get to Fl. first and then several connections, not worth all that hassel and I don't think it would be cheaper anyway. Just heard the word "local" and carribbean and thought I would check it out.
Still haven't made my airline reservation yet Carole.
I'll praobably make them soon and it looks like we'll be on the same plane :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6630) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

:-) It will be you, Jim, Sandra, Gary and Joe and I on the flight! Yippee!! I'm psyched!! cb

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration