BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Tie wraps on luggage......
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Tie wraps on luggage......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 9:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just curious.... We've used tie wraps to secure our luggage and dive bags in the past. I've always carried nail clippers to undo them. With the new travel requirements in place, my nail clippers would be confiscated.... and we obviously can't carry pocket knives. Has anyone worked out a solution to a like senario?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wimberly on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I put tie-wraps on my luggage, but turn them so they can be pulled loose. They look secure to the eye, but can be undone in an instant if need be. I learned the hard way in Africa when I needed to get in a small duffle bag for a change of clothes due to a bad case of Shaka Zulu's revenge and had it done up tight with a tie-wrap and couldn't get into it until finally someone came looking for me and then got someone with a knife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Put a small pocket knife in a zippered outside pocket of your checked back?

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did want to point out that nail clippers are OK if the don't have a point (I know their point is to clip nails but I was refering to the literal).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Megan & Eric on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 11:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had the nail file portion of the clippers removed from them the last time we traveled. The baggage inspector said that he needed to break it off if we wanted to keep the rest of the clipper. No problem, those files are generally not very good for the purpose anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Oglesby on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 10:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow! It's a sad state of affairs when nail clippers are being confiscated. It reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld commentary/joke about the Swiss Army and what a force they are to be reckoned with, with their Swiss Army knives and what-not (LOL). But seriously, it really concerns me that our "security" protocol is so ridiculous.

(sorry...not trying to start a debate on security, so I will stop here.)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration