BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Divi Luggage allowance
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-12-31: Divi Luggage allowance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margarite (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

HI!! I am using Divi from Cur To BON next week and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them limiting or charging for a second piece of luggage. According to their web site, they are allowing only one piece at about 40 lbs per seat. In the past I have been allowed to take two or more bags on Divi and have not been charged. Have I just been lucky the past 4 years? Or is this a new policy that is actually being enforced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #852) on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used Divi last month. I too had not been charged extra in the past for two pieces of luggage per person. This time they did not count the number of bags (3 check throughs for 2 people)but took the TOTAL weight of our bags and charged us for what was over. They did include our rolling carry-on in the weight which is what "put us over" their limit. I think we paid about 6 dollars extra.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just got back from bonaire and used Divi round trip from Curacao -Bonaire. I also have used them in the past before the "new" website and baggage limits were posted. I knew that this trip we were taking the maximum amount of luggage per American Airlines policy I emailed them prior to our flight and they told me the policy was as printed on the website. We were prepared to pay extra if necessary.
However, when we actually got to curacao, I spoke with the agent and they said it was very relaxed and depended on each individual flight. As you may know, the planes are small and luggage space is also limited. If the plane's luggage compartment will hold everything, they do not charge you(many people fly back and forth with no luggage-day trips for business/pleasure). If all of the luggage will not fit, he said they would send it on the next flight(usually every 1 1/2-2 hours). We took 2 large bags, 2 carry-on size bags and 2 backpacks in one trip with no extra charges.
However, it must be noted that every flight is different and each situation will be dealt with according to the volume of baggage according to the agent.
I know this is not a real answer-but it is our experience--good luck!
Vann Evans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By margarite (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks guys! All is as I expected. Six dollars is nothing to take all your stuff and be comfortable....... Even more is fine. I don't ever expect to get something for nothing.....

Cant wait to go!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This thread gives me hope. I just booked my room at Belmar and we were planning on Divi from Cur to Bon. Then we realized that the limit is 44lbs total per person, including carry on. Originally we were budgeting for 44lbs just for our 'checked' bags.

Heck, 44lbs is not that far off of just my gear weight. I may have to sacrifice my 4lbs of trim weights. Grrr. I just really like the thought of Divi because it will get us to Bon in time for dinner, rather than bedtime via AE.

i don't mind paying a few extra bucks for being over weight from Cur to Bon. What scares me is the trip from Bon back to Cur. I'd hate for luggage to be late for our return trip on AA.

Has anybody had any problems with excessive weight for a return trip, Bon - Cur?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Lawson (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i last flew divi divi in january and we had two suitcases plus a small carry on each.

We did have to pay a minimal token fee for the extra bags.

The key to alleviating concerns over making the AA flight is to take your luggage over early in the morning so that divi can put it on any flight they have room. The luggage will be waiting for you in baggage claim in CUR. We did that with no issues. We dropped our largest two bags off in the morning so that they had a choice of two flights to get it over, then we took the small suitcases on our own flight for last minute packing.

Divi encourages this practice for the reason you cite.

have a great trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AaronG (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I never thought to drop the bags off early. Such a simple plan, I love it. Thanks much for the tip. :-)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration