BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Boxes again
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-01-01 to 2002-10-27: Boxes again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know that in late Sept Annie asked about boxes being part of checked luggage on AA but as our trip approaches I am wondering what the latest is as I keep getting different answers from AA. Over the last 12 years we have always taken a box of non perishable foods with us to a variety of Caribbean destinations including Bonaire. The only time that AA airlines would not allow it was a Christmas trip (also the only time we flew from Logan and not Hartford). They charged us 40 dollars for a lousy duffle bag and made us repack everything -- which was fine until my husband dropped a jar of pickled fiddleheads (hey its a VT delicacy!) and security arrived because of the smell! Since we eat most meals in and support the local grocery store we are willing to skip our box if it is now too much trouble. Would appreciate anyone's feedback who has travelled since Sept 11. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I called AA in Sept. and was told I could use a box as one of my two checked pieces of luggage. There is usually an embargo against boxes around the holidays for some reason. Call AA and check.

Personally I think you are right on NOT bringing food items. I brought Red Bull for the Regatta as it is hard to find in BON.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 10:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One way to avoid the box question is to pack any food in a picnic cooler. Put a slim chain around it through the handles with a split ring for a lock. Also a way to carry camera gear. My coolers have gone through without comment or molestation--knock on wood!!! I have also carried fresh and frozen food in a checked American Tourister hard-sided suitcase--food arrives still frozen both ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 10:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, we too have used coolers many times as checked baggage for frozen food items until about three years ago when we bought a backpack cooler from LLBean. It holds just the right amount to get us started and then we can fill it up on the way home with all kinds of things -- last year it was several bottles of rum and jam from Grenada!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 8:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was also thinking that a cooler is just a 'box' with insulation and can transport anything you want, cold, hot or medium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

But it isn't cardboard, and that's what AA cares about...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd McBride on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 2:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I started on AA and connected to AJ in Miami. I checked two extra large rolling duffels. One for dive gear and second for food and clothes. I had a large tupperware container full of food, snacks, and breakfast stuff (take the individual wrapped packages out of the boxes) that took up about 1/4 of the bag. I also had cans and other non breakables just in the duffel bag. All this was checked luggage on AA and did not have any problems. I even got pulled aside for the random security check (they went through every bag) and they did not say anything about all the food. I think the clear tupperware container was the key because they could see inside it without having to open it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I brought down a fairly large cardboard box with AA in Dec. (32 lbs., an LL Bean Adirondack chair....don't ask). It was one of my checked "bags", so it didn't cost me a dime extra. I checked it in in our dinky airport on Nantucket Island, and to my astonishment, I never had to see it again until Bonaire, where it arrived with all my other stuff, and not broken to splinters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You never know. One Christmas, some years ago, I arrived at ALM with many (cardbord) boxes and had to buy two large duffel bags and repack--just made the plane!!! American has also stopped me with boxes in the past. Maybe cardboard is the secret. Was told only 'box' in both cases.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration